Nintendo, Sony & more are skipping Gamescom 2022

1500x500.jpg

After last year's digital-only event, Gamescom will be returning this year with a hybrid digital and in-person event running from August 23-28 in Cologne, Germany. However, two of the major platform holders, Nintendo and Sony, have already confirmed that they will not be attending.

Earlier in the month, Nintendo issued a statement to German publication Games Wirtschaft, spotted and translated by VideoGamesChronicle, that they will be skipping the event this year. “Gamescom is a key event in Nintendo’s calendar of events,” the statement reads. “This year, however, after careful consideration, we have decided against participating in Cologne."

Today, Sony spoke to the same publication to confirm they will also not be attending. The article also mentions that Activision Blizzard, Take-Two Interactive and Wargaming would not be coming this year.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't like getting new announcements from Nintendo as well, but let's be real. Gamescom was already a shitshow before all the pandemic stuff happened. Since the Games Convention was renamed and moved to Cologne it became more and more of a circlejerk for YouTubers and Twitch streamers every year. To make up for not happening the last two years they even replaced it with an entertainment program done by German Internet celebrities literally just playing party games for hours all the while everything was littered with merchandise and ads from their sponsors.

If I was at least a somewhat credible game dev, I would skip that event as well at this point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."