Nintendo sold out.

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Chaos Punk, Jun 4, 2009.

Jun 4, 2009

Nintendo sold out. by Chaos Punk at 12:20 AM (4,656 Views / 0 Likes) 49 replies

1. Chaos Punk
    OP

Member Chaos Punk GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Before any hardcore Nintendo fanboys start to flame me, let me say that I too am a fanboy. Though I tend to enjoy Nintendo more than other game companies, I'm beginning to feel betrayed. Nintendo is like the underdog who got a taste of what it's like to be the cool kid. Always had the potential, but it's talent relied on it being itself. Now that Nintendo is starting to cater to "Non-Gamers", as they call them, they're losing the ones who stuck with them from the beginning, they're stabbing us in the back. Shovelware like minigame compilations are like insults in the face of us loyal fanboys who helped make the Big N what it is. They're losing touch with what the gamers want, and trying to catch the attention of those that don't care. After watching the press conferences at E3 for Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony, I must say that I am ashamed of Nintendo. Releasing hardware that should have been perfected in the first place (ahem, WiiMotionPlus) and bogus "Casual" games like Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus, it's like they're gasping for air. But that's just it, they aren't. They have been selling more hardware and software than their competitors combined, so why are they so desperate to keep trying to draw new gamers in? As of now, Nintendo has betrayed us, and it's now up to the third party developers to help keep decent games abundant on the Wii. Sadly, these are companies like Sega, who single-handedly killed there best system. Nintendo, do you see the pattern here?

2. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Stupid people say stupid things.

3. Chaos Punk
    OP

United States
    1.) What about this is stupid?
    2.) Wow, did your mommy help you come up with that? That statement alone is obvious.
    3.) You're just plain immature.

4. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Actually i don´t really understand what´s your problem.
    What do you want from Nintendo yes they are making games for "non-gamers" but they still making the new Metroid and other stuff.
    And only because they don´t showed everything on the E3 conference it doesn´t mean that they don´t make other "hardcore" games. [​IMG] (whatever that really mean)

5. Chaos Punk
    OP

United States
    My problem is when I look at games like MAG for PS3, I see the future of games, not gimmicky half-assed minigame collections. MAG features 256 player games, that's right TWO HUNDRED FIFTY SIX, SIMULTANEOUS PLAYERS. Why can't this kind of thing be applied into Nintendos games? Imagine, Animal Crossing MMO style, that I'd play. Don't get me wrong, I love what they're doing with the Metroid and Mario franchises for instance, but why are they so insistent on the whole drawing new gamers in? We have enough already, and frankly, I don't want anymore (I'm already sick of dealing with noobs daily.) I realize Nintendo doesn't exactly have a track record for hardcore, break your neck, slice your face off and eat it games, but come on, Cooking Mama? I applaud Sega and Team Ninja for trying to harden up the Little White Box, but Nintendo needs to chip in or I fear it could be the next Dreamcast, so much wasted potential.

6. Bloodgod

Member Bloodgod 嵐の王

United States
    I lol at people who rage cause "X" console doesn't have "X" game/s.

You knew what you were getting into when you bought a Wii.

7. Islay

Member Islay GBAtemp Fan

Ireland

Hardcore is to strong for Nintendo, its need to be ........ Oh wait I got it, it need to be surprising and a new experience (Didn't make brawl better to play did it ?)
    and bloated with gimmicky, like 2 controller to play a game, a blood nun chuck (sold on it's own) is a perfect example.

Anyway Hardcore can only live on a console or pc that has buttons and no movement required, anything that can make you dance/& look stupid is not hardcore (DDR is the exception the proves the rule).

p.s: I'm not saying I hate the Wii, its fun for it type of gaming, but it will never be a hard core gaming console till get some major power.

8. xDlmaoxD

Member xDlmaoxD GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Agree, Nintendo is just focusing into the wii fit and crap like that, it won't attract long time gamers only
    those that want to follow its trend.
    It did create some new games the Metroid, Mario, are a bit worth owning a wii.
    Not total failure.

9. Fellow

Member Fellow GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You have to understand that a company's main goal is to make more money.

They didn't leave Nintendo fans completely in the dark, considering what games they announced. With these new gimmicks they will make more revenue and expand their target market. Things aren't how they were in 1995 or in 1985.

10. Chaos Punk
    OP

United States
    I didn't say that, you guys are missing the point, while Microsoft and Sony are producing the most mind bodiling fun games, Nintendo is STILL trying to gain leverage and perfect their controls. All those sales don't mean a thing at this point because most were so called "casual gamers", whatever the fuck that means.

11. bytor

Member bytor GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Sorry mate, but you're talking complete bollocks. This year at E3 Nintendo look to me like they've pleased everyone. Wii Sports Resort in particular will not only appeal to the so-called 'casual' gamer demographic but will also appeal to more seasoned gamers...or 'hardcore' if you will. On top of that they've announced 2 new Mario games and a new Metroid game before the end of the year and a proper Wii Zelda with MotionPlus support. And we should see the Metroid Prime Trilogy next month and Sin & Punishment 2 before the end of the year. What more do you want..?!!? [​IMG]

As for third party support we're now starting to see the results of publishers realising that the Wii wasn't a fad after Christmas 2007 with quality titles such as Madworld, Deadly Creatures and House of The Dead Overkill recently released. This is around the time that publishers and developers realised that the Wii was going to have a ridiculously high marketshare and started to invest time and money into Wii projects, including Capcom who canned Monster Hunter Freedom 3 for the PS3 and switched to develop and publish the title for the Wii. Believe me, over in Japan that's a big deal. And what have we got coming up before the end of the year..? Tiger Woods 2010 with MotionPlus support, Virtua Tennis and Grand Slam Tennis both with MotionPlus support, The Conduit, Resident Evil Archives, Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles and Red Steel 2 with MotionPlus.

And how about next year from third parties..? Gladiator and The Grinder for starters. Doesn't look like they've 'sold out' to me. There's a variety of games coming both first party and third party that'll appeal to everyone, games that'll appeal to the 'casual' demographic and games that'll keep the 'hardcore' demographic happy. I can't see the problem - everybody wins [​IMG]

12. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    You people really dont get Nintendo, do you. The reason why its important to bring in NEW gamers is so that gaming doesnt become stale. Lets face it, American gaming sucks ass. I dont want to shoot up or blow up something all day. I dont want every game i own demeaning the value of human life. I'm not a violence whore. Some of us do get tired of playing 1,000,000 + first person shooters all day long. Nintendo is doing the RIGHT thing and if you dont like it you can do what the old WWE slogan says. "Get the F out". Seriously, I'm wondering why nobody is talking about the camera that Nintendo and Ubisoft made together for the Wii...

13. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Your revelation is 4 years late.

14. Chaos Punk
    OP

United States
    Like I said, the fate of more hard edged games is relying mostly on Third parties that see the potential of the system. And as for the so called "hardcore" (notice, I'm not trying to use this word because it implies something like violence or mature oriented content which is not my intent with this thread) games Nintendo has lined up, yay, I'm very pleased with them, really, I'm not knocking the progress they've made, but they just need to remember their roots, a good example what I mean is Punch Out!. Not exactly able to be considered mature or hardcore (yeah, it has violence, but it's not GTA), yet reminds us that Nintendo still remembers us passionate gamers. I really hope games like Metroid: Other M can rekindle my dwindling loyalty to The Big N, I don't want to see them dissapear because of shovelware.

15. Bloodgod

Member Bloodgod 嵐の王

United States
    @Chaos Punk RAGE MOAR!

16. bytor

Member bytor GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Contrary to popular belief Wii owners are a mixed bunch. That's the whole point of the console in the first place. Wii owners aren't all 'Soccer Moms'...there are a great deal of 'hardcore' gamers that own Wiis...why else do the 'hardcore' games sell so well?

And you really don't understand the situation with the controls. It's really not complicated. The technology was there to make the remote and nunchuck to respond to 1:1 motion control but it was too expensive to implement. What would you prefer them to have done..? Release a console that's twice as expensive but can handle 1:1 motion control and HDTV output. If so, then you're really not too bright. The Wii has nearly a 50% marketshare in a three horse race due to its affordability, this creates interest and investment from third parties which in turn results in better games of all types. I'd say that Nintendo have got everything spot-on, particularly now that they're making 1:1 motion control possible a full year before their two competitors.

17. Goshogun1

Member Goshogun1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yeah, but they are also making games to please their "core" audience as well. Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros, Metroid, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, Punch Out etc. I think they are covering all bases in my opinion. And man are they raking in the $$$ because of it.

So they want to bring in a whole new market of casual gamers, who cares? Its not like Nintendo is the one releasing the hordes of shovelware for the Wii and DS. Their casual games are actually good, and accessible to anybody. This means anyone in the family can enjoy it, so it ensures universal appeal and great sales.

Heaven forbid Nintendo opening their doors to anyone but the "non-core" elite gamers.

18. Ph1l0z0ph3r

Member Ph1l0z0ph3r GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Trust me I'm a gamer and own every playable system right now PC,360,PS3,Wii,DS,PSP and Nintendo did everything perfectly it had too. It pleased both crowds that bought their consoles. It showed off New Super Mario Bros Wii, Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Project M. All those games cater to the original gamers that made Nintendo. Hate to break it too you but Animal Crossing MMO or anything else arent part of whatever fantasy you think Nintendo is. They also announced a new Zelda being made also. Hmm 2 new Marios,Zelda,Metroid. Yea im pretty sure their catering to the people who made them. Then theres WiiFitPlus and Wii Sports Resort which is catering to the people who are making them the most money now.

Also i don't think you understand how hardware works. For an Animal Crossing MMO to come out Nintendo has to have a stable online network set up. After that they need the hardware and time to have said game playable.

19. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Chaos Punk is a very silly goose.

20. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Well imo the New Super Mario Bros game looks like a 4 player clone of the DS game, nothing new to be quite honest aside from a waggle addition, doubt it will do very well and I don't expect it to be all that great, NSMB for the DS was pretty boring and easy to be honest.