Nintendo sold 160,000 Wii physical games during the first three months of 2021

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
According to Nintendo themselves, they sold 160,000+ Wii games during the first 3 months of 2021. That's down from 880,000 a year earlier, but is still impressive for a "dead" console. Nintendo of North America no longer has the ability to press new discs, but who knows how many "new" copies of Mario Kart Wii and similar titles they already had printed up before they stopped in 2019. And Just Dance 2020 for Wii has over 4000 reviews on Amazon.com, showing the popularity of that title right up to the present.

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/finance/historical_data/xls/consolidated_sales_e2103.xlsx

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Jesus christ, it still has commercial life!

I remember reading in 2018 Wii sales generated more profits than the Wii U, several times more, but I did not expect to see it chugging along. I did not know about those 880.000 games in... Three months of 2020 I take? Amazing still.

And yeah, I saw how many reviews the JD20 Wii has. Ubi lost money on that and from what I read, fans did mods to mimic JD21 and JD22.

It was also really cool to get a port of Shakedown Hawaii as a probably last physical release, it's really well done.

Edit: Wait, I did not know about Samurai Shodown. Need to research!

Reactions: jeannotte

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Oh, I misread you, I apologise. It really is kinda sad that the Wii couldn't take that crown if only for how funny it would have been in retrospective, but then again beating the PS2 is already interesting enough to me.

SnackJr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Proud to be two of those sales with RCR and Shakedown Hawaii. My Wii still getting more use than any console in my house.

Reactions: godreborn

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
The wiis are still out there just like old iphones. just because you cant buy them new does not mean they just vaporize back into the soil.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the wii is the only system I play pirated games on, and only two of them: dkc returns and nsmb wii. I play them on the virtual wii though. I'd buy them, I have no issues doing that, and I might at some point, but still play the installed versions. love those games. the wii is definitely a gem of a console, though I would agree there's a lot of shovelware on it unfortunately.

Reactions: jeannotte

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Shovelware is a sad constant in most super-popular systems though, specially if developing games for it is less expensive than on other systems. PlayStation had it, the Nintendo DS had it, PlayStation 2 had incredible amounts of it too and a good number of shovelware titles the Wii got came directly from the PS2, I might add.

Ignoring shovelware is easy enough on the Wii, the problem is that sometimes you can ignore an actually good game by trying to filter games that might look suspicious, like Order Up!, Go Vacation or Fishing Resort just to name three. Books and covers, after all...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: