Nintendo SMASH Direct announces Roy, Ryu, Lucas as well as new stages and skins

smash.png

In around 5 minutes time Nintendo's Smash Direct is about to start. You can watch the full Direct using the below links.

smashp.png

smashp2.png

ryup.png

ryu.png

ALL OF THIS CONTENT WILL BE AVAILABLE TODAY!

If you missed the Direct you can watch the whole thing here:

:arrow:Smash Direct Live Stream #1
:arrow:Smash Direct Live Stream #2

Reactions: Maximilious

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
For the record, "getting a rise" out of Smashers is one of my favourite pass time activities, actually - there are few communities that suffer from this much toxicity and vitriol, how can one not be tempted to tease'em a little bit and enjoy the show? :rofl2:
You may be laughing now but you won't be laughing on Final Destination. :p1ng:

P.S. no items.

Reactions: KingVamp and Foxi4

Crazc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhm, I'm sorry for mocking glorified reskins? You guys suit yourselves, all I'm saying is that all the characters offered except for Ryu are just clones and that's not an outrageous statement, it's a well-accepted fact within the Smash community itself. A difference of a couple miliseconds in execution of a move does not a new character make and IMO the first two should be free DLC, but you do whatever you want with your money. ;)

For the record, "getting a rise" out of Smashers is one of my favourite pass time activities, actually - there are few communities that suffer from this much toxicity and vitriol, how can one not be tempted to tease'em a little bit and enjoy the show? :rofl2:

In previous games, yes, they were clones. And yes, we accepted it. In the new game, they are not. We have yet to even see how Lucas and Roy even really stack up in Sm4sh. Calling them clones already is not really a wise thing to do when they havent even been out for an entire day. And "a few milliseconds difference" is not really applicable to the new DLC. Hitboxes are different, grabs are different, entire mechanics are different, even.

Reactions: cvskid

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In previous games, yes, they were clones. And yes, we accepted it. In the new game, they are not. We have yet to even see how Lucas and Roy even really stack up in Sm4sh. Calling them clones already is not really a wise thing to do when they havent even been out for an entire day. And "a few milliseconds difference" is not really applicable to the new DLC. Hitboxes are different, grabs are different, entire mechanics are different, even.
Not wise? What's unwise about it? I know they'll be clones, they always have been. Different hitboxes, good one, except that's obvious - the models are different so they need adjusted hitboxes. Anywho, like I said, enjoy yourself, I treat those characters as clones. ;)

WiiFit_Guy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Was really hyped to hear about the news on Ryu and Roy. Though it seems like Ryu is over powered. I understand they want to include the Street Fighter inputs and try to merge it with smash. Though It shouldn't be that if you insert the original command from street fighter that it will be more powerful. I can see the smash community try to pick up Ryu and just practice the moves so that they get that advantage. At least make it so that he is a bad recovery like little mac to balance the game. Though it seems like Ryu has no weakness.

Smash4 is looking good with the character balances, online and DLC. Just hope Nintendo stays true to smash like the N64 and Melee days.

And if Ryu is OP, hopefully they acknowledge it and nerfe him. Or he will be the Metaknight (Brawl)of Smash 4.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I
So... two clone characters (inb4 Competitive Smashers say that Lucas and Roy totally don't play like Ness and Marth with minor differences or some nonsense to that effect) some random Mii outfits (aka TF2 hats), one original character and one original map. Woo-hoo! Milkin' that cow, for all it's worth! ;O;
I can't speak for Roy, but Lucas feels very different than Ness when I fought some online. They are doing a good job imo.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Was really hyped to hear about the news on Ryu and Roy. Though it seems like Ryu is over powered. I understand they want to include the Street Fighter inputs and try to merge it with smash. Though It shouldn't be that if you insert the original command from street fighter that it will be more powerful. I can see the smash community try to pick up Ryu and just practice the moves so that they get that advantage. At least make it so that he is a bad recovery like little mac to balance the game. Though it seems like Ryu has no weakness.

Smash4 is looking good with the character balances, online and DLC. Just hope Nintendo stays true to smash like the N64 and Melee days.

And if Ryu is OP, hopefully they acknowledge it and nerfe him. Or he will be the Metaknight (Brawl)of Smash 4.
Ryu isn't really OP. I fought some online as well and he's not that above-average of a character.

Also, Nintendo has nerfed many characters already. Little Mac was OP, then Rosalina and Luma, then Greninja, then Diddy, and now things seem a lot more balanced than before, for now.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

His up-b ist worse then Shulks. If you fall to deep down you're screwed.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I
I can't speak for Roy, but Lucas feels very different than Ness when I fought some online. They are doing a good job imo.
Indeed, Lucas behaves very much differently than Ness. His physical attacks are all different and his special attacks, except for down-b, have different effects that change the way you play with Lucas. That said, his special attacks variations could easily be custom moves from Ness' so I guess whether or not Lucas is a Ness' clone, I think it depends entirely on point of view.

But the fact that he's an optional DLC character means that it doesn't really if he's a clone or not.
Ryu isn't really OP. I fought some online as well and he's not that above-average of a character.

Also, Nintendo has nerfed many characters already. Little Mac was OP, then Rosalina and Luma, then Greninja, then Diddy, and now things seem a lot more balanced than before, for now.
Ryu didn't seen OP to me either... I actually think he will be a rather complicated character to master, because of the additional buttons combinatios Nintendo added. For me, it's a real shame since I think Smash strength is how accessible the game's controls are, and I wonder if many people are going to put up with mastering new control schemes for the sake of one character.

Crazc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not wise? What's unwise about it? I know they'll be clones, they always have been. Different hitboxes, good one, except that's obvious - the models are different so they need adjusted hitboxes. Anywho, like I said, enjoy yourself, I treat those characters as clones. ;)

God you're hidebound.

WiiFit_Guy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
His up-b ist worse then Shulks. If you fall to deep down you're screwed.

If you input Shoryuken (right, down, Diagnol down right, Button A) then follow up with the UP B special, the recovery is better. Sure You have to input the commands without getting hit, but advanced players can master this easy.

Ryu didn't seen OP to me either... I actually think he will be a rather complicated character to master, because of the additional buttons combinatios Nintendo added. For me, it's a real shame since I think Smash strength is how accessible the game's controls are, and I wonder if many people are going to put up with mastering new control schemes for the sake of one character.

Already Smash 4 is a simple game for controls. Its just the advanced tech that can take getting used such as turn around B special, wavebounce, j.C glide tossing ect.

If competitive players want to win and find that Ryu is the candidate for the job, they will master all the techniques. The learning curve is a bit advanced compared to lets say Mario. But players like me coming from Street Fighter 2 and Melee will have an easier time mastering Ryu.

Last edited by WiiFit_Guy,

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you input Shoryuken (right, down, Diagnol down right, Button A) then follow up with the UP B special, the recovery is better. Sure You have to input the commands without getting hit, but advanced players can master this easy.

clear.png

clear.png

clear.png

Already Smash 4 is a simple game for controls. Its just the advanced tech that can take getting used such as turn around B special, wavebounce, j.C glide tossing ect.

If competitive players want to win and find that Ryu is the candidate for the job, they will master all the techniques. The learning curve is a bit advanced compared to lets say Mario. But players like me coming from Street Fighter 2 and Melee will have an easier time mastering Ryu.
Isn't Shoryuken UP B?

WiiFit_Guy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Isn't Shoryuken UP B?
Correct. But If you insert the original command from street fighter series and hold A, the moves is much stronger and seems like you get more recovery. He also has a horizontal recovery with the hurricane kick (Which doesn't put him to free fall).

hu6AtPf.gif

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

clear.png

clear.png

clear.png

clear.png

Uh, your images a broken, might want to fix that.

And this proves Nintendo is doing its damnedest to disavow the existence of the Star Fox IP. Why? I'm glad you asked. For starters, new new Star Fox DLC, but also, their hellbent attitude on releasing yet another Fire Emblem character. How many damned FE characters does the game need? I sure as hell didn't vote for Roy, I couldn't care less about him or Lucas, who is also a Ness clone with ice magic :lol::rofl2:

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I surely don't think it will be an issue for competitive players, but I don't think it was neccessary to sacrifice accessibility just for the sake of making Ryu play more like his Street Fighter II form.

What worries me most though is that Nintendo releases more characters that require character-specific input. I have no problem in those techniques you just said, because they are nothing more than using the mechanics of the game in your favor. There is no reason a non-competitive player might not use some of those techniques without even knowing. They were discovered through actually playing the game.

But with Street Fighter like games, learning beforehand how to make each character move is a necessity for mastering the game and that's what bothers me most. (mastering not meaning getting into a competitive level, but rather come to a good understanding of the game in general)

WiiFit_Guy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Uh, your images a broken, might want to fix that.

And this proves Nintendo is doing its damnedest to disavow the existence of the Star Fox IP. Why? I'm glad you asked. For starters, new new Star Fox DLC, but also, their hellbent attitude on releasing yet another Fire Emblem character. How many damned FE characters does the game need? I sure as hell didn't vote for Roy, I couldn't care less about him or Lucas, who is also a Ness clone with ice magic :lol::rofl2:

Seriously LOL! Although I did like Roy from the Melee, but you do have a point with the Fire Emblem Crew. Honestly IMHO, they should of brought back Roy and maybe ditch Lucina (Sorry to all Lucina Players, but I find Marth is much better with spacing, range and has the deadly tippers which KO at Low percents).

They should of brought back Wolf from the Star Fox, and look into other Nintendo Universes. Cant believe the dropped Ice Climbers. They were very different, having the ability to fight as two and able to desynchronize them for added combos.

I surely don't think it will be an issue for competitive players, but I don't think it was neccessary to sacrifice accessibility just for the sake of making Ryu play more like his Street Fighter II form.

What worries me most though is that Nintendo releases more characters that require character-specific input. I have no problem in those techniques you just said, because they are nothing more than using the mechanics of the game in your favor. There is no reason a non-competitive player might not use some of those techniques without even knowing. They were discovered through actually playing the game.

But with Street Fighter like games, learning beforehand how to make each character move is a necessity for mastering the game and that's what bothers me most. (mastering not meaning getting into a competitive level, but rather come to a good understanding of the game in general)

Yes I understand your point! But honestly I don't think there will be more characters like Ryu in the future. Smash takes a lot of practice. It may seem hard at first, but give it time and practice and you will get the combos.
Besides you can do all the moves the B-Special, just not as powerful as using the Combos from the original game. But like I said, with practice you can get it. Practice makes perfect.

EDIT:

Just found out you dont have to input original Street Fighter commands to do the powered moves.

Moves from Street Fighter IV have carried over.

Shoryuken's Strret Fighter Original move is Forward, Down, Down-Forward, but you can also perform it by:

- rolling the stick from Down-Forward to Down and then return to Down-Forward.
-tapping Down-Forward twice

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously LOL! Although I did like Roy from the Melee, but you do have a point with the Fire Emblem Crew. Honestly IMHO, they should of brought back Roy and maybe ditch Lucina (Sorry to all Lucina Players, but I find Marth is much better with spacing, range and has the deadly tippers which KO at Low percents).

They should of brought back Wolf from the Star Fox, and look into other Nintendo Universes. Cant believe the dropped Ice Climbers. They were very different, having the ability to fight as two and able to desynchronize them for added combos.

Actually, with the Ice Climbers, you can blame the piss poor 3DS CPU for not being able to handle eight pairs of characters on-screen, to render sixteen Ice Climbers in eight player mode would've slaughtered the CPU. There's actually an article that explains how the 3DS single-handedly ruined the Wii U's chance at having them.

Reactions: WiiFit_Guy

WiiFit_Guy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, with the Ice Climbers, you can blame the piss poor 3DS CPU for not being able to handle eight pairs of characters on-screen, to render sixteen Ice Climbers in eight player mode would've slaughtered the CPU. There's actually an article that explains how the 3DS single-handedly ruined the Wii U's chance at having them.

Yes, I remember reading something like that as well. There was one comment someone made he said "As a Dev myself, I call it BS.". Makes me think about it, cause if they really wanted to add the IC, I'm sure it can be possible. Though like you said, maybe the 3DS isn't capable and would be pushing it to its limits.

Maybe on the New 3DS come to think of it...something can be done.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls