Nintendo slashes the price of the 2DS to $99.99

20150518_095817.jpg

One of Nintendo's best values will be getting even better. On Aug. 30, the suggested retail price of the portable Nintendo 2DS system drops to $99.99, down from the current suggested retail price of $129.99. Even at the new suggested price, the system will still come packaged with the digital version of the acclaimed Mario Kart 7 game, making Nintendo 2DS an amazing value for shoppers.

People looking for a great game to play with their new system can also pick up Little Battlers eXperience, which launches Aug. 21 for all Nintendo 3DS family systems, including Nintendo 2DS.

"At a suggested retail price of $99.99, Nintendo 2DS is an even more attractive introductory option for first-time gamers," said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America's Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing. "The new lower-priced hardware combined with the strong lineup of new games launching this year and arguably the best library of games in this generation makes it a great time to be a Nintendo fan."

Ever since it launched in October 2013, Nintendo 2DS has been the go-to system for newcomers to the world of quality Nintendo video games. The system plays nearly the entire library of Nintendo 3DS games in 2D, as well as most Nintendo DS games. Players with Internet access can compete online, or enjoy local multiplayer co-op experiences with other Nintendo 3DS family system owners. With no hinges, the durable construction of Nintendo 2DS makes it perfect for younger players.

Little Battlers eXperience lets players build, customize and battle robots made from more than 4,000 in-game parts that allows for more than 30,000 different LBX robots. The game is one part of the strong franchise, which also includes an animated TV show and robot model kits. Players can team up with characters that appear in the TV series, or find friends who also own the game and a Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo 2DS system to connect via local wireless to battle it out or team up against tough opponents in the Ranking Battle co-op mode.

Other games for all ages and skill levels launching for Nintendo 3DS before the end of the year include Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer, Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash,Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon, The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes and YO-KAI WATCH. All games are compatible with all Nintendo 3DS family systems, including Nintendo 2DS.

Remember that the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, including Nintendo 2DS, features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/2ds.

For more information about Little Battlers eXperience, visit http://lbx.nintendo.com.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
A lot of people are saying that $100 is still too much. How is this too expensive but people don't complain (as much) about the cost of phones that require people to essentially take out loans to afford?

As somebody who likes playing mobile (and by that I mean not console) games, I would rather dish out $100 for a 3DS than I would several times more for an iPhone and their "free" to play titles. But if I'm being completely honest, the smart shopper would just get a used 3DS for less than $100 or at least buy from Nintendo refurbished.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly thought it had already been that price since before the New came out. Not that I pay much attention to 2DS.

So technically the system is only around $70 since it comes with Mario Kart 7... That's a pretty good deal for someone on a budget.

Only if that was a game you were going to buy when you bought the system anyway. And don't get me started on it if it's a digital pre-install. No added value in those.

A lot of people are saying that $100 is still too much. How is this too expensive but people don't complain (as much) about the cost of phones that require people to essentially take out loans to afford?

Probably because a lot of people get their expensive phones subsidized by their carrier by getting locked into a long term contract. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that's why they probably don't think of it that way.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I bet here it will get more expensive because it " gonna be harder to get" =A=
Now with my 3DS in coma I was thinking about getting a 2ds to economize but it's the same price of a 3DS"lite" here :B

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean the Gameboy Micro can still cost around the same place. I would think the only real reason why someone would want the 2DS is for flashcarts. I do appreciate the 2ds and wouldn't mind having one from what I hear it's pretty comfortable and would be nice for classic game imo.

Most serious Nintendo fans probably already have the New 3ds and would only buy this to collect probably. But yeah I wouldnt mind having one. Good thing about consoles like this they still hold up some good value even after so many years.

Maybe they'll push out some good bundles if they even still produce the 2DS at the factory lines.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it always was $99. I had never seen it advertised for any more than that.

With that super stable 2D sounds like a deal. :)

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

As somebody who likes playing mobile (and by that I mean not console) games, I would rather dish out $100 for a 3DS than I would several times more for an iPhone and their "free" to play titles. But if I'm being completely honest, the smart shopper would just get a used 3DS for less than $100 or at least buy from Nintendo refurbished.

At least with phones you can do a whole lot more and actually have a good screen unlike the 2DS which has a low quality screen with washed colours.

2DS is only good for A) kids to play, B) testing or C) doorstopper.

Reactions: Sliter

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Pretty big update in the $99 2ds world. A $99 red/black yo-Kai Watch bundle is being released on Nov 6th with the game!
It's pre-installed too! :ninja: (I wouldn't expect the firmware to be cooperative though :P)

YY1-noscale.jpg

Source :arrow:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)