MrNintendosense
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo sends a stealth bomb to the Industry With the launch of the DSi containing a new ARM11 processor which clocks out at cpu (319-512 mhz) and can be under clocked at 66mhz to play old DS games. (The psp has 333mhz max) This is astonishing bundled with a 128Mbit RAM - NEC uPD 46128512AF1 - DDR RAM running on a SRAM interface, less for ARM to do and PAIC3000D Sound Chip - possibly a TI codecs: AIC3 for better sound processing. makes for one smash pack of a console that at first looked like a cheap move due to it being "just another DS". any way got most of this info from the hardware page over at DSibrew and the rest of it from Bushing who is hacking the DSi

Uruha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the DS was only 66? dont u mean 166mhz or something 66 sounds rediculously slow >.<
anyway yea thats pretty nice specs but wut exactly needs that power? and it would just kill the battery faster. i think 233-333 is good enough if thats all the psp needed

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be that it's actually cheaper for them to get the faster processors and underclock them, since processors at that speed might be getting mass-produced for other things, while nobody is likely to be producing processors directly suitable for a half-decade old portable console now.

Of course, I don't know where Nintendo gets their hardware. But that's just the first thing that comes to mind.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Umm, they are wrong. The DSi doesn't have these specs nor these hardware capabilities. The cpu is an ARM9 dual clocked at 66mhz and 132mhz and it only has 12 Megabytes of RAM. It does contain a flashrom that is 256 megs but it is used exclusively for the firmware and nothing else, DSiWare don't have access to it.

And folks, this is from a reliable source who has worked with the DSi and know the hardware quite well. I don't know where the DSiBrew site got its information but its wrong. The DSi isn't that much of a step up from the DS hardware wise.

wolfmanz51

MrNintendosense
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:
Umm, they are wrong. The DSi doesn't have these specs nor these hardware capabilities. The cpu is an ARM9 dual clocked at 66mhz and 132mhz and it only has 12 Megabytes of RAM. It does contain a flashrom that is 256 megs but it is used exclusively for the firmware and nothing else, DSiWare don't have access to it.

And folks, this is from a reliable source who has worked with the DSi and know the hardware quite well. I don't know where the DSiBrew site got its information but its wrong. The DSi isn't that much of a step up from the DS hardware wise.
wheres your Source?

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to see all the sources for this 512MHz processor with ARM11... seems way too over powered... I mean, come on, are they trying to fly to the moon with a DSi?

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
rumblesushi said:
The wiki specs are different again. The same 33mhz ARM7, along with a 133mhz ARM9, and 16 megs of RAM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DSi
Not where, but who. I get my information straight from the source. I have been into the DSi hacking scene for a while now and I have contacts with flashcart retailers who are working on cracking the DSi, hackers working on dissembling the DSi and hacking and so on. The DSi has no way 128 megs of RAM nor that powerful of a processor. I checked over that DSiBrew wiki and most of the information they have there is wrong.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
I'd like to see all the sources for this 512MHz processor with ARM11... seems way too over powered... I mean, come on, are they trying to fly to the moon with a DSi?

DS-AYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
*buh dum tss*

Eponasoft

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if it did run at such a high clock speed, it wouldn't affect the power consumption all that much. A CPU running at 166MHz will not consume much more power than a CPU running at 66MHz. The power consumption does not scale the same as the clock speed, fortunately...if it did, we'd all be in a lot of serious trouble with our PCs.
biggrin.gif

Uruha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just noticed its fake after reading the site it was posted by topic creator!
so the DS IS 66? thats slower than i thought, and the psp needed 233?!

CoconutCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uruha said:
the DS was only 66? dont u mean 166mhz or something 66 sounds rediculously slow >.<
anyway yea thats pretty nice specs but wut exactly needs that power? and it would just kill the battery faster. i think 233-333 is good enough if thats all the psp needed
QUOTE(Uruha @ Feb 3 2009, 04:05 PM) i just noticed its fake after reading the site it was posted by topic creator!
so the DS IS 66? thats slower than i thought, and the psp needed 233?!

Yes, the primary DS CPU is only 67Mhz. (The DSi is apparently capable of twice that speed, but not more.)

Why are people surprised by this? I would think everyone knew this for years by now. This is well known info. Shouldn't surprise anyone in 2009.

DS is very weak hardware. The CPU is only 67Mhz, and only has 4MB RAM. The PSP is an entire generation ahead of the DS for hardware. Way better specs (233 - 333Mhz, 32 - 64MB RAM) and far more powerful graphics and sound.

Mind you I enjoy the DS more due to the great games. But for sheer hardware, the DS is a total weakling based on ancient technology compared to its competitor.

MyauChanDesu

Kamineko is GOD.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Narin said:

oh..

i was getting hyped about the thing when i saw the first post..

but it's still okay.. i'm still gonna buy the dsi

Zerrix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Narin said:

Thank you for the clarification. I think I can trust you 100%.
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hii