Nintendo selling cut content from Fantasy Life as DLC

GameWinner

Take your heart
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way I understand it, the Link version adds online features as well as being an expansion pack, which was released later than the original Japanese release. And the Western release is based on that later version, minus online features. Did I comprehend everything correctly or am I to get another migraine after looking into this? Thanks

We have everything in the Link version excluding Origin Island which was in the original Japanese Link release.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
We have everything in the Link version excluding Origin Island which was in the original Japanese Link release.

Doesn't seem to be the case... I looked into the original NeoGAF thread and the first post has an update:

UPDATE
Okay, some clarification.
This is what seems to be the case.

The localized version of Fantasy Life has the online multiplayer from the Japanese Link re-release of the game.
Everything else that came in the Link update is in the day 1 dlc.

So either you could see it as "Nintendo leaves out everything from Link update to sell as day 1 dlc" or "Nintendo includes online from fantasy life link in the game", your choice.
I personally find it very disappointing that we don't get the complete Link version on the cart when it came out so long ago in Japan.

So West is getting the original game PLUS online and Link features are DLC, just like it was for Japanese people. So the assumption the Western version is based on Link seems wrong. Goodness my head hurts.

GameWinner

Take your heart
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't seem to be the case... I looked into the original NeoGAF thread and the first post has an update:

So West is getting the original game PLUS online and Link features are DLC, just like it was for Japanese people. So the assumption the Western version is based on Link seems wrong. Goodness my head hurts.

The Link re-release included online and many other features. Obviously, the localized version is based on Link because the original Fantasy Life did not include any online features.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
The Link re-release included online and many other features. Obviously, the localized version is based on Link because the original Fantasy Life did not include any online features.

To me it sounds like the Western version is indeed a yet different version of the game catering to the Western market where online play is often assumed to be in a game. So the Origin Island DLC is there for people who want to experience the whole game without being overwhelmed while still getting the online features. In Japan you couldn't go online without buying the Link version re-release, which also includes Origin Island.

Sounds to me like the West is getting the "better" version. Is it really all that different to other games? We let Japanese players "beta test" Monster Hunter for us and when they get the full game as a re-released G version, we finally get the Ultimate version with the same features. In this case, Western players get all the Japanese had originally PLUS online. That's great. Now that I understand what this story is about, I may consider getting the game after all.

Reactions: rt141

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd care if it were a title I were interested in. But so far for all the games that Nintendo has been doing proper DLC for, I don't have any issues with (Mario Golf, Fire Emblem, Pikmin 3, MK8, and hopefully Super Smash). Dumb what they did here, but again, I don't give a crap as this game doesn't interest me in the slightest. Hopefully they don't start abusing DLC like this in any future games that I do care about.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'd care if it were a title I were interested in. But so far for all the games that Nintendo has been doing proper DLC for, I don't have any issues with (Mario Golf, Fire Emblem, Pikmin 3, MK8, and hopefully Super Smash). Dumb what they did here, but again, I don't give a crap as this game doesn't interest me in the slightest. Hopefully they don't start abusing DLC like this in any future games that I do care about.

The thing that strikes me as odd is that there's no confirmation or definitive source to say who's call this actually is/was. Level-5 or Nintendo?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The thing that strikes me as odd is that there's no confirmation or definitive source to say who's call this actually is/was. Level-5 or Nintendo?

Either way, I think it's safe to say that Nintendo approved it, at the very least, considering they are the publisher.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Either way, I think it's safe to say that Nintendo approved it, at the very least, considering they are the publisher.

And? Nintendo has long been a publisher of Level-5 games outside of Japan (e.g. Professor Layton games). To suggest this decision is part of Nintendo's plan is conjecture at best. It may have well been decided on the end of the developer.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And? Nintendo has long been a publisher of Level-5 games outside of Japan (e.g. Professor Layton games). To suggest this decision is part of Nintendo's plan is conjecture at best. It may have well been decided on the end of the developer.
"To suspect that publishing terms are up to the publisher is conjecture at best".

Okay, bro. ;)

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
but those who would like to see a change need to start voting with their wallets. I see a lot of moaning, but I don't see a lot of change, so there must be more people buying than complaining.

That sentence is so good I needed to show it off.
Although I think that the public is already awakening to these mercenary moves by some companies,
last I heard Capcom was in an absolute finnancial trouble and willing to have their company sold.

But yet there is no reason to cut this content and sell it as day 1 DLC.
I know the japanese version didn't get that, but just look at MH3,
they received a re-release as MH3G and we received later a ultimate version.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
tl;dr Newsflash: Nintendo is a company like any other, they're a business, they're in it for the money and they've been bleeding money for two years straight, so you're going to see underhanded tactics like this. In other news, the sun rose this morning and water has been found to be wet.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

Sooooo you're saying that it's plausible that Level 5 made this decision entirely separate from the involvement of Nintendo, the publisher, the ONE THAT IS DISTRIBUTING THE GAME, and that Nintendo just kind of went "eh, we don't want you to do that, but we'll let it slide"?

Okay, bro. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Gahars

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
tl;dr Newsflash: Nintendo is a company like any other, they're a business, they're in it for the money and they've been bleeding money for two tears straight, so you're going to see underhanded tactics like this. In other new, the sun rose this morning and water has been found to be wet.

No one disputed this and I'm certainly not defending anyone/anything or their tactics here. This news was and still is confusing as there are some thing still left unanswered and we'll know for sure when the game comes out. In that sense, of course Nintendo is a company like any other and it's in the interest of any company looking to succeed to make profit. If DLC is the answer in Nintendo's mind, I don't blame them trying. Consumers fortunately have a say in this as well (by not buying the game or DLC).

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so nintendo is importing an improved version of a game and day 1 dlc that was also dlc in the japanese version? those greedy bastards!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so nintendo is importing an improved version of a game and day 1 dlc that was also dlc in the japanese version? those greedy bastards!

"Importing" is not localizing. You're like trying to say "You should be thankful Nintendo actually brought it over! They're taking one for the team!"

The issue is day 1 DLC regardless. Everyone shat all over DLC as "terrible" but suddenly it's not too bad when Nintendo does it.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
"Importing" is not localizing. You're like trying to say "You should be thankful Nintendo actually brought it over! They're taking one for the team!"
...Pretty sure that's not what he's saying. Sounds like he's just misusing the word "import."
Everyone shat all over DLC as "terrible" but suddenly it's not too bad when Nintendo does it.

*Yawn* How many people here are actually saying that? :rolleyes:

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue is day 1 DLC regardless. Everyone shat all over DLC as "terrible" but suddenly it's not too bad when Nintendo does it.

Day 1 DLC is not as deplorable as you're making it out to be. I hate disk locked content and vendor specific bonuses, but day 1 DLC is about as innocuous as a day 1 patch. As long as the company is being up front about what we're getting and no one is getting preferential treatment, then we can stop crying foul. What I'm more concerned about is the fact that they specifically develop content for GameStop or Amazon and Best Buy and then release it all later as a complete package. Or the fact they put DLC on the disk instead of paying to have it stored on the platform's shop just in case not enough people buy the damn package to cover the costs.

All this shit is revolving around the fact that video game bloggers say we're getting the enhanced version of the game when we're not. We're getting the base game with the online mode to appease our always online boners. Just because the base game in Japan shipped without online and then later with the DLC (like an Ultimate Edition) does not mean we're we automatically get the content when it's localized. Even the name says it's the normal edition and not the enhanced version.

I'm not defending Nintendo. In fact, the moment they slip up and try something abusive with their system, I'll be right there protesting. So far however, they have decently priced their DLC and their games are better for it.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except... y'know, you don't have to pay for a day-one patch.

Small, trifling difference, I know. :rolleyes:

So? You don't have to pay for DLC. It's why it's fucking optional. A patch is completely necessary to fixing bugs. I'd be more angry if I had to pay for DLC to even get online, instead Nintendo did the right thing and released the base game with the full online mode with DLC expanding the completely option part of the game. You guys are so strung up about an optional part of the game that you can't see how inane your ravings are.

The same could be said for on-disk DLC and vendor specific bonuses, but I'm more angry that companies think that these are somehow more acceptable than announced day one DLC. I can't even see why these vanity items (which were likely part of the original game any way) are held back for the specific intent to sell us more despite what we already bought. Hell, I have no problem with micro transactions as long as I can get all the things with simple elbow grease and gamer's persistience.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So? You don't have to pay for DLC. It's why it's fucking optional. A patch is completely necessary to fixing bugs. I'd be more angry if I had to pay for DLC to even get online, instead Nintendo did the right thing and released the base game with the full online mode with DLC expanding the completely option part of the game. You guys are so strung up about an optional part of the game that you can't see how inane your ravings are.

My point is that there's really no comparison between day-one DLC and a day-one patch. They're completely different things. One is content you can optionally pay for (which almost certainly was purposely cut from the game to make extra money off the customer), and one is a free bug patch that's often required for a more stable and bug-free experience.

Tl;dr your comparison is ridiculous, and the fact that you contrasted the difference yourself in your most recent post further proves that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Mario and Luigi's Bowsers inside Story