Hardware Nintendo says the WiiU Pad isn't comfortable for NES Mario Bros.

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo revealed why Virtual Console games aren't playable on the Wii U Game Pad, a feature many gamers were hoping for.

During the latest Iwata asks session, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata and some of the fine folks who designed the Wii U game pad explain their reasoning for not allowing Virtual Console games to be playable on the Wii U Game Pad itself. They said:
"We played the NES version of Mario Bros. game on the Wii U GamePad and realized we couldn't do it very well."
I don't know what they found that was so bad. I don't think anyone would complain if they simply slapped Wii U Game Pad functionality on older Virtual Console titles.

But I think the main issue with this is that the Wii U goes into 'Wii mode' when playing Wii software, thus it thinks it's a Wii system itself. So that may ultimately be the reason why those virtual console games don't work with the Wii U Game Pad, because they weren't designed with it in mind.

And when you think about it, sending a patch out to the hundreds of games on the Virtual Console service to allow Game Pad playback is a daunting task.

So, yeah.

http://gimmegimmegam...wii-u-game-pad/

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's not a "daunting task" - it's a matter of writing a handful of emulators for the new hardware and embedding ROM's in said emulators. This is the equivalent of saying "we won't add Virtual Console to the 3DS because Virtual Console was made for the Wii" - it's retarded and they're being lazy, plain and simple.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We played the NES version of Mario Bros. game on the Wii U GamePad and realized we couldn’t do it very well
Not much of an explanation.

But yeah I think everyone pretty much figured it was the "Wii mode" issue.

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a "daunting task" - it's a matter of writing a handful of emulators for the new hardware and embedding ROM's in said emulators. This is the equivalent of saying "we won't add Virtual Console to the 3DS because Virtual Console was made for the Wii" - it's retarded and they're being lazy, plain and simple.

So they're being lazy because they realized "Oh crap, the Wii U thinks its a Wii now, Wii U peripherals won't work with it/won't work well enough!"? Do you people just still the word "lazy" when you can't find the correct term of the situation?

And no, saying "we won't add Virtual Console to the 3DS because Virtual Console was made for the Wii" is not the same as "This is too difficult to work with this specific kind of function".

The Wii U's Virtual Console isn't an emulator, it damn well thinks it's a Wii.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
We played the NES version of Mario Bros. game on the Wii U GamePad and realized we couldn’t do it very well
Not much of an explanation.

But yeah I think everyone pretty much figured it was the "Wii mode" issue.

lol i feel there will be a similar moaning like the 3DS if the Wii mode is hacked and WiiU not
the Wii U is basically a Big 3DS with the screens detached

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol i feel there will be a similar moaning like the 3DS if the Wii mode is hacked and WiiU not
the Wii U is basically a Big 3DS with the screens detached
I remember seeing one poster a while back moan that the 3DS can be hacked easily because "it's essentially a portable Gamecube and the Gamecube has been hacked".

Except not.
Your sarcasm detector isn't working.

Reactions: 3 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
> Add a tablet controller to the console to allow taking your games anywhere you want within range.
> Making only selected titles compatible.

Nintendo should make up their minds - they push the controller as the flagship feature, they should do all in their power to make *all* the WiiU-Compatible software run on it. Running Virtual Console (Legacy ones, at least) in Wii Mode is pathetic and lazy - they have new, powerful hardware at their fingertips and they're not using it.

So they're being lazy because they realized "Oh crap, the Wii U thinks its a Wii now, Wii U peripherals won't work with it/won't work well enough!"?

And no, saying "we won't add Virtual Console to the 3DS because Virtual Console was made for the Wii" is not the same as "This is too difficult to work with this specific kind of function".

The Wii U's Virtual Console isn't an emulator, it damn well thinks it's a Wii.
Because the Virtual Console binaries are Wii binaries. If there were versions written specifically for the WiiU, like there are for the 3DS, it would not be an issue. The entirety of Virtual Console is based on emulators and embedded ROM's - do some research.

That isn't how Nintendo do things, they'll have to test each and every title to make sure they work as they should on the Gamepad.
You mean, that isnt's how Nintendo works - they have a pre-existing Virtual Console that works, so why improve it? which is typical lazy mentality.

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
> Add a tablet controller to the console to allow taking your games anywhere you want within range.
> Making only selected titles compatible.

Nintendo should make up their minds - they push the controller as the flagship feature, they should do all in their power to make *all* the WiiU-Compatible software run on it. Running Virtual Console (Legacy ones, at least) in Wii Mode is pathetic and lazy - they have new, powerful hardware at their fingertips and they're not using it.

You do realize that to make a peripheral work for something that it wasn't mean to work for, they'd have to recode every single damn Virtual Console game out there? Wii Virtual Console ISN'T "Wii U compatible", as I said, when the Wii U runs Wii mode, it pretty much turns into the Wii, much like how the Wii in Gamecube mode turns into a Gamecube.

But, no, technology's just magic, and you're just lazy if you don't fulfill the pipe dream.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You do realize that to make a peripheral work for something that it wasn't mean to work for, they'd have to recode every single damn Virtual Console game out there? Wii Virtual Console ISN'T "Wii U compatible", as I said, when the Wii U runs Wii mode, it pretty much turns into the Wii, much like how the Wii in Gamecube mode turns into a Gamecube.

But, no, technology's just magic, and you're just lazy if you don't fulfill the pipe dream.
You do realize that you kinda look silly if you don't read what I wrote?

I'm talking about writing entirely new emulator binaries and embedding ROM's into them - you're talking about running it in Wii Mode. Read what I type very carefuly, *new binaries should be released, the WiiU should run WiiU's Virtual Console, not the Wii's Virtual console*, Nintendo is being lazy.

Reactions: 1 person

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
You mean, that isnt's how Nintendo works - they have a pre-existing Virtual Console that works, so why improve it? which is typical lazy mentality.

I think you're getting "lazy" confused with "Not worth the effort since we're going to release Virtual Console games that are MEANT TO PLAY ON THE GAMEPAD, so why do the same thing to versions meant for an entirely different system?". Do you complain that Sony didn't make every damn PS3 game Move compatible?

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry you don't understand what I'm saying.

I'll break it down so it's easier for you.

Nintendo has certain standards.
They release a title but before they do they need to test it thoroughly, sometimes things slip through but they still do so.
Getting people to test things costs money, they need to pay the people to test them either way.
They would need to do this all over again to make sure that those games work as they should on the Gamepad as they do in Wii mode or even in Wii U mode.
Not only that but there are other things to consider, like getting the 3rd party games tested.
That 3rd party publisher would need to test them themselves, which means having to submit the game again.
Nintendo would need to then take a look at that game to make sure it meets it's own standards, which also takes time and money to do.

Yes these games already exist, yes they are simply ROMs with loaders and they could write some code to enable them to work on a Gamepad HOWEVER as I said they would still need to test these titles to make sure they work and there are hundreds and hundreds of these titles, most of which people won't ever play again.

I'm sure you still won't understand this and just bitch about them being lazy. This isn't about laziness, if Nintendo could do this easily and cost effectively, they would.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think you're getting "lazy" confused with "Not worth the effort since we're going to release Virtual Console games that are MEANT TO PLAY ON THE GAMEPAD, so why do the same thing to versions meant for an entirely different system?". Do you complain that Sony didn't make every damn PS3 game Move compatible?
Bring up Sony - good one. I'm going to let your implication slide because I'm better than that. Now, listen to me carefuly.

Virtual Console works in a very simple fashion - there's an emulator written specifically for the hardware in question and there's the ROM embedded within it. Those emulators are different depending on the platform - the Wii has its own, the 3DS has its own. They run the exact same ROM's and updating them to a new platform is a matter of preparing a new core and injecting the exact same ROM.

This means that if they are planning to release Virtual Console that does work in WiiU Mode, releasing other, legacy games that used to be a part of the Wii's Virtual Console is a matter of injecting the same ROM's into the core - not rocket science, not a lot of effort, a little bit of good will.

Now, if you don't understand how Virtual Console applications even work, why exactly do you reply? Turn your fanboy mode off - if the WiiU's Virtual Console works in Wii Mode, they're being lazy for not writing emulators specifically for the WiiU, and you can stand on your head and you won't change my opinion because it's based on objective facts, not brand loyalty.

I'm sorry you don't understand what I'm saying.

I'll break it down so it's easier for you.

Nintendo has certain standards. (...)
They had the entire WiiU development cycle to work on this issue, but they haven't. They neglected it, opting to use Wii Mode instead. Not because they have standards but because they couldn't be bothered. A lot of what you said is true, but it does not change the fact that the conduct is lazy, and I hope that they are going to fix it in the future - because they can.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Virtual console, too hard because they need to, test that it works on the system?

What next, Sony says there's no browser on the PS4 because they'd need to test it?

Nintendo did VC on the Wii already, so it's obviously not out of their means to repackage games for another sale.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Virtual console, too hard because they need to, test that it works on the system?

What next, Sony says there's no browser on the PS4 because they'd need to test it?

Nintendo did VC on the Wii already, so it's obviously not out of their means to repackage games for another sale.
Exactly what I'm trying to explain, but I guess I was branded a fanboy because as a customer I expect some effort to be put into the product I'm interested in buying.

Strange, isn't it?

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

First of all this topic is bullshit. Relaxs. :P

Opener poster has it all mixed up. I read this yesterday, they are talking about why they updated the Wii U controller after E3 2011 cos it was uncomfortable to play SMB for longer hours.

Topic needs to be deleted or updated.

Reactions: Zantigo and Eerpow

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
First of all this topic is bullshit. Relaxs. :P

Opener poster has it all mixed up. I read this yesterday, they are talking about why they updated the Wii U controller after E3 2011 cos it was uncomfortable to play SMB for longer hours.

Topic needs to be deleted or updated.
So, WiiU's Virtual Console will have dedicated WiiU binaries or will it work in Wii Mode? I'm willing to trust you on this one, so just answer this simple question - it seems to be the bone of contention.

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, you keep babbling about how VC's all about how its just injecting and inserting ROMs, yet you seem to miss the part where games that weren't made to run on the GamePad won't unless they're SPECIFICALLY MEANT TO. Hence why they said Mario Bros. doesn't work well on the GamePad. If they're talking about the Wii VC game, then obviously it won't work. It wasn't built to. If it is the Wii U VC game, well, this guy said it best:

[b][url="http://gbatemp.net/user/157500-discostewsm/ said:
DiscostewSM[/url]"[/b]]Wouldn't it be something if what they meant by not playing Mario Bros very well on the Gamepad was that the Gamepad itself was attempting to process everything without the console?

And like I said, I'm talking about WII Virtual Console games running in WII Mode on the Wii U, not WII U Virtual Console. Do you know what the Wii U uses for VC games released for the Wii U? You sure don't, I sure don't, so STOP PRETENDING.

PS: I like how you start calling me fanboy and say my opinions are on "brand loyalty". Certainly you're above a comment about how even Sony doesn't recode every damn game to do this certain thing!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome