OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
TOKYO – Nintendo was targeted in a recent online data attack, but no personal or company information was lost, the Japanese maker of the Wii game console said Sunday.

The server of an affiliate of Nintendo Co.'s U.S. unit was accessed unlawfully a few weeks ago, but there was no damage, company spokesman Ken Toyoda said.

"There were no third-party victims," Toyoda said, while declining to elaborate. "But it is a fact there was some kind of possible hacking attack."

The damage from what could be a recent spate of such data breaches targeting big-name brands was more serious at rival Sony Corp.

Sony has said massive personal information, including email addresses, names and birth dates, and involving more than 100 million users, is suspected of having been stolen after security was compromised in April for its network service for the PlayStation 3 game machine, for other online services and, in the past week, from Sony Pictures' website.

It is still unclear who is behind the attacks at Sony or Nintendo, based in Kyoto.

Hackers calling themselves Lulz Security — a reference to the Internetspeak for "laugh out loud"_ have recently boasted of compromising more than 1 million users' personal information.

Tokyo-based Sony has said it is strengthening security measures. It has contacted the FBI and other authorities for an investigation into the cyber attacks.

source

Awaits confirmation that lulzsec did this and obviously failed to take information.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay so more hacking news...
QUOTE said:
It has contacted the FBI and other authorities for an investigation into the cyber attacks.
So FBI is getting involved aswell
smile.gif
. I mean.. hey, they were already messing around with the FBI o.o

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
II remember a few people were complaining that credit card info won't be saved on the 3DS, and that you gotta enter them every single time you buy cash (Nintendo money or whatever they call it).
I BET YOU'RE HAPPY NOW!!

Sausage Head

Lord Sausage LXIX
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Varia said:
II remember a few people were complaining that credit card info won't be saved on the 3DS, and that you gotta enter them every single time you buy cash (Nintendo money or whatever they call it).
I BET YOU'RE HAPPY NOW!!
yes

for the couple times per year i'd buy something i'd rather re-enter it every time than it getting stored on 'top-notch secured' databases forever

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A couple years back a forum member had got access to one of Intelligent System's something-or-other, and found some in-progress builds of Fire Emblem 7 and 8. The prototype dumps floating around on the internet are from that leak. There was also some other information, some sound engine build files and stuffs, but I don't recall.

I find this a lot more interesting than whatever the group that attacked Nintendo would try to do
ohnoes.png
Fire Emblem fans made off with Fire Emblem booty in our case
biggrin.gif

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm....This seems kind of odd, in some perpectives. A hacker never leaves his accomplishments when hacking. If the guy hacked the servers and took nothing, he probably didn't find what he wanted.

Seems to me this guy is looking for something specific to get at.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So did lulzsec perform the breach to demonstrate a lack of security, and not cause damage intentionally?

I guess that makes them greyhat hackers? Not exactly white or black.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
So did lulzsec perform the breach to demonstrate a lack of security, and not cause damage intentionally?

I guess that makes them greyhat hackers? Not exactly white or black.
Yup, you hit the nail on the head.

They like certain companies, but they'll still expose them no matter what. I think Nintendo is reacting to the fact that lulz actually got in, not the fact that they did anything.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mestizo said:
If they didn't want to attack them, though, then why did they hack them?
Many hackers enjoy looking for exploits, and performing said exploits without doing damage is one of the best ways to beef up security.
It highlights potential flaws, and it's a great way to deliver a message without informing the public of how the flaw is exploited.
Only the 'attacking' party and the 'victim' are privy to that knowledge.

That said, in this scenario there was no 'attack' and 'victim' because lulzsec didn't want to harm Nintendo.
This really goes to show that public image in this industry is shaping up to be more important, you don't want to be on the public's bad side.

pistone

Trophies
in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
XP
Country
Albania
Hop2089 said:
Awaits confirmation that lulzsec did this and obviously failed to take information.
from twitter lulzsec say that they only hacked Nintendo only to see if it was vurnerable & that they love nintendo
so i dont think they failed to hack the site they just dont want to take the info info :|

Assax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
master00d said:
from twitter lulzsec say that they only hacked Nintendo only to see if it was vurnerable & that they love nintendo
so i dont think they failed to hack the site they just dont want to take the info info :|

Exactly, here is what they said:
QUOTE"We're not targeting Nintendo. We like the N64 too much - we sincerely hope Nintendo plugs the gap. This is just for lulz. (L)," the hacker group wrote on Twitter. "We love SNES, Megadrive, N64, Dreamcast... Sega & Nintendo have a special place in our Lulz Boat. Desert Strike, anyone? #MEGADRIVE."

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
master00d said:
Hop2089 said:
I think that's what the server configuration on the lulzsec site is, harmless proof that they got into Nintendo's servers.
It's not like the configuration files can really be used for anything unless you actually got into their servers, there's nothing sensitive about it.

D

Deleted_171835

RoyalCardMan said:
Well, would a hacker expose the reason why he did something and would he expose himself to be the hacker that fast?

Seriously, I think this guy is faking.
They're not faking. Lulzsec posted the server configuration file online.

In the file they posted, they noted the problems and how to fix it rather than exploiting the vulnerabilities.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I'm not going to lie, is Lulzsec good or bad? lol

It seems like they're showing who's corrupt, yet helping companies by showing them exploits to help the security. I'm so confused by this group lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/