Nintendo ripping us off?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by MADKATZ99, Dec 21, 2006.

Dec 21, 2006

Nintendo ripping us off? by MADKATZ99 at 1:53 AM (1,863 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. MADKATZ99
    OP

Member MADKATZ99 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Went into EB the other day, they had a wii for $396. Which I didnt mind paying for, because you get alot of stuff for it, and it would have took time to make and design, and your paying for all the components and whatever crap went into it.
    I was about to buy one, untill I seen the price of games! $110 for a single game! [​IMG]
    Its an outrage. No game is worth paying that much. I dont care how the "developers" get their money from to put food on the table, but 110 for a singe game is a bit rich.
    Id say $80 max. 110 is ridiculas. They lost a wii customer. [​IMG]

Tell some nerds in germany too hurry up on the wii hacking.

2. serious_sean

Member serious_sean GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What kind of wierdo dollars are you using over in freaky-land?

3. insanezer0x

Newcomer insanezer0x Member

United States
    What are you talking about?
    there is no games for the wii that cost 110 bucks
    the highest is $49.99

4. MADKATZ99
    OP

Australia
    1 Australian dollar = 0.7823 U.S. dollars in freaky land.

5. jaguares

Newcomer jaguares Member

United States
    australians have different currency so it makes sense that things cost a lot more there than here.

6. MADKATZ99
    OP

Australia
    Your from the states moron [​IMG]

7. Saturnplanet5

Member Saturnplanet5 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    He's talking Australian money and some of them are $110 here. I think it's a bit of a rip off as well. The games in Australia are priced on an outdated algorythym [Sp?] when the Aus dollar was worth 50 cents of an American dollar. What you could do is Email Nintendo Australia constently until they sit up and take notice and reprice their games accordingly. Lots of people are doing this.

BTW Myer had Zelda on sale for $79.95. If you have a Myer near you you should take a trip in there and see if they have any copies left.

8. MADKATZ99
    OP

Australia
    Thanks Saturnplanet5, your probaly right about that outdated algorythym thing. That sounds about right.

Time to email nintendo.
    But would they do anything about it? There making alot of money out of selling them so high, I dont see why they would put the prices down. Unless people wernt buying them or somthing. And the closest myer is at erina fair about 1 hours away [​IMG]
    Its worth the drive [​IMG]

9. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

edit: nevermind i was wrong apparently

In Europe the price is also much higher than if you convert from Yen (japanese currency) to Euro (european currency) and also much higher if you convert from Dollar (US currency... lol allright i'll stop it) to Euro.

Is it not possible to order games on the internet?

10. knubbe

Newcomer knubbe Member

Australia
    Don't buy games from EB. You will find them much cheaper elsewhere.

11. Saturnplanet5

Australia
    I think it's a case of they have been getting away for it so long they keep doing it if enough peolpe complain then maybe they might get the message. I remember when Starwing for the SNES came out and it was $120 dollars. Now you can download it in 10 seconds. :/ (Not that I would because piracy is bad. M'Kay.)

12. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Just buy your games from big stores like Target, BigW and Kmart. They usually have the games at most around $90. EB and the like always charge maximum price on all their games.

If you think $110 for Wii is bad what about the $120 we are paying for Xbox360 games!
    If 1AUD = .7823US then we are paying the equivalent of $93.88US for an Xbox360 game!!!!

13. Saturnplanet5

Australia
    There is a website.

http://www.nintendo.com.au/

And there is a contact us at the bottom of the page.

14. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    yeah, the games aren't any cheaper here in New Zealand too.

AUS and NZ usually get shafted when it comes to nintendo consoles, so Im used to it by now

15. sixb0nes

Member sixb0nes GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    JB-Hifi sell wii games from 79-89 dollars. Also lol at buying shit from eb.

16. MADKATZ99
    OP

Australia
    Well lucky I dont have an Xbox 360 [​IMG]
    Okay, ill try to stay away from EB in the future.

@ somone: You cant buy them off the net unless there in your country because of that NTSC and PAL thingy. If you buy it from USA it wont work [​IMG] or so i hear.

17. Lukeage

Member Lukeage GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Only time I buy from EB's is when they have their sales on (which seems to be every 2nd week [​IMG]) but even then they usually don't have much decent anyway.

Australia is always shafted on prices (look into the price of musical instruments/equipment, can be up to 4x as much as the cost of the same thing in the US).

As people have said before, just go to a large retailer instead, their standard prices will always be lower.

Anyway, this is why I can't wait for a freeloader, then I can import games at 2/3's of the cost they are here. I saw one 360 region free import going for $53 less than the retail price.

18. sipoon

Member sipoon GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    I think australia is getting a better deal then new zealand, they have nintendo of australia right ? you can return your broken ds's for warranty i assume... in NZ all you get is a sole supplier who will charge you more than OZ and when your product is damaged under waranty, they will point you to contact manufacturer yourself... :s

19. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Was that the price in Australian dollars? Because AU$395 is US$320, meaning import tax + profit margin add 28% to the original US$250.

But if the Wii is US$395 in Australia, well, that's highway robbery.

And the games could be AU$ 110, they're AU$85-100 in Europe, depending on game and store.

20. Bowser128

Member Bowser128 King Koopa

United Kingdom
    If you want the games cheaper, buy them on the internet. You don't have to worry about importing from another country, online stores are almost always cheaper than their 'bricks and mortar' counterparts, and I'm sure there are quite a few located in Oz.

You're not the only area paying inflated prices though, Europe is in the same boat. Here, the Wii is £180, which is AU$450 (US$350) and games are £40, which is AU$100 (US$80).