Nintendo reveals Super Smash Bros Ultimate Limited Edition, shows off special Pro Controller

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 27, 2018.

Front-page
    IMG_0690.JPG

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was shown to be getting a special edition in the U.K., which will come with a steelbook and GameCube controller + adapter. Now, the North American website for the game has updated to showcase a limited edition for that region, which consists of a steelbook and a limited Switch Pro Controller. The controller is white and black, with a Smash logo on the face of the gamepad. While it's unavailable to pre-order right now, Nintendo says a list of retailers will be revealed later. You'll also be able to purchase the controller on its own. This special edition will release the same day that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate does, on December 7th.

:arrow: Source

Update: Now for pre-order at Best Buy with the price of $139.99.

Discussion (53 replies)
  1. Nightflash

Nightflash Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2018
    Germany
    Sweet christmas! Look at the price tag though, 140 bucks? I guess pro controller 60/70 + game 60/70 + Steelbook 10 dollars? I mean it's not like I live in the US anyway :) I am honestly more excited about how the custom switch gamecube controller turns out, does it still feel right after all these years...

Last edited by Nightflash, Aug 27, 2018
  2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Nice!

3. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Hmmm... I know Smash purists may like the limited edition with the Gamecube controller, but I am liking this special edition Pro Controller a lot more.
    Well, the grass is always greener on the other side, I guess.

Elrinth and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  4. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Not really a fan of the designs here. The GC controller didn't wow me either. I'll just continue to rock Smash 4's, I guess.

Last edited by Sophie-bear, Aug 27, 2018
  5. SushiKing

SushiKing GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 24, 2013
    Australia
    You had me at Smash

epickid37 and WhiteMaze like this.
  6. Vorde

Vorde GBAtemp Regular

Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    Just use a GCN controller adapter and use an old school gamecube controller :) That's likely what I will be doing. I already own a pro controller, so hopefully I can get the Steel Book Smash Ultimate without the controller. We will see though.

7. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    A game, steel book to encase the game and a controller with the game branding logo... for $140 :blink:

$60 game
    $70 controller
    $10 steel case

I'm more concerned when they gonna lower the price of the controller, it's so expensive, it cost more than the game does. :wtf:

I didn't even get to the part of how underwhelming this is considering other special editions cost less and even offer more stuff.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Aug 27, 2018
    Sophie-bear likes this.
  8. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    urgh. why didn't they reveal a special wireless gc controller for this?

do we really want all these cables around anymore?
    i get it, pro lamers think that half a frame of delay gives them advantage, but I just want comfort here.

Last edited by Clydefrosch, Aug 27, 2018
    Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  9. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Probably never. You know, Nintendo.

10. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    You hoping they make wavebird popular again. :P

I mean Honestly I didn't know the game cube controller was so popular in the first place. I wouldn't bother using it unless i had to but that's just me, I'm the person who even used his 3ds to play smash bros on the wii u game, hope I can do that with switch too. The use of many controllers made it unique to me even if most people only stuck with one type. :ninja:

epickid37 likes this.
  11. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto Vigilante

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    I just want that controller. Rip my dreams

epickid37 likes this.
  12. DiJornios

DiJornios DiJiorno

May 18, 2018
    United States
    So does this confirm that the Gamecube limited edition in the UK, is not coming in the US?

13. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    good lord does that look ugly

14. Nightflash

Nightflash Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2018
    Germany
    I wanted to do that initially but my GC controller is falling apart halfway ( I thought those were like Nokia phones but meh) and used original GC controllers in nice condition cost 25-30 Euros anyway. Besides, I read that the GC controller for switch has an optimized button layout (second shoulder Z button maybe?!) so they were getting me with that new feature. But images of the controller look like a simple standard GC controller. Anyway, an additional LZ button would be nice for other game compatibility, I am by no means a smash lover ;)

15. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Excuse me? $140 for the game, an aluminium case, and a recolored controller? Assuming the game and controller is $120, what the fuck is that extra $20 for?

16. Delerious

Delerious GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2018
    United States
    California
    Not particularly fond of the design. Whoever made this did a rather lazy job. It just looks so bland.

DarthDub and D34DL1N3R like this.
  17. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    I think Nintendo has fired all their designers and are making lowly interns create these "special editions". All their "special edition" stuff has been very lazy/ugly lately. What was the last good special edition? The Pokemon red/blue n3DS? The Pikachu edition yellow o3DS XL actually made it look like Pikachu had tits (the outer cameras were "strategically" placed). Definitely the work of a bored intern.

For being dumb enough to buy it.

Last edited by bowser, Aug 27, 2018
  18. Vorde

Vorde GBAtemp Regular

Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    Oh I see, I'm sure you can tell I'm into Smash from my avatar :P They're that much where you live?? That's insane. GCN controllers over here go from $15 (A deal) to $30 (Overpriced) but most are $20. I have had the same controller for 5 years, but I have had to repair the control stick once.

19. l13f4k3

l13f4k3 Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2010
    Cote d'Ivoire
    no octagonal gate? not suitable for smash then...

rdigit likes this.