Nintendo Reveals Black Friday Sales

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Super Mario 3D Land and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword helped Nintendo to a successful kickoff of the holiday sales season.

The new Nintendo 3DS game, Super Mario 3D Land, which landed in stores Nov. 11, has become the fastest selling portable Mario game in company history, selling more than 500,000 units since launch, says Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime.

Meanwhile, the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, released for the Nintendo Wii on Sunday, Nov. 20, has sold 535,000 copies since its U.S. launch, making it hte fastest-selling Zelda game ever, he says.

These strong new releases also drove sales of Nintendo 3DS and Wii systems, Fils-Aime says. Last week's 3DS sales tripled (by 325%) compared to sales the week of Nov. 6, the week beforeSuper Mario 3D Land debuted; the week of its debut, sales rose 49% over the previous week.
"What this has been able to do is drive our Nintendo 3DS business in only eight months to surpass the full first year volume of the original DS and we still have the bulk of the holiday to go," Fils-Aime says, "and we still have the launch of Mario Kart 7 (out Sunday, Dec. 4) to continue driving our full-year sales on Nintendo 3DS."
Sales of the original Nintendo DS hit 2.37 million in the first year of its Nov. 2004 U.S. release.

The Nintendo Wii had its biggest Black Friday ever more with than 500,000 units sold just during Black Friday and the pre-Black openings at some stores, he says.

http://content.usato...black-friday-/1

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is this poorly formatted monster?
I think it looks cool. With a little cleaning up, it could be even cooler though.

At the topic though, I like the sales. If only mobs of people weren't fucking crazy...

EDIT: Aww, back to the old formatting. *sigh* I thought we had a rebel here.

rt141

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really nice numbers!
Btw... Check your redaction a little: "ever more with than" o_ o took me a little to understand it.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
lol theyll still lose money from the wii U launch in the future

Just like everyone else, just not as badly.
Will they? That would be quite a shift in Nintendo's position. I know they lose money on the 3DS, but that's because they had to lower the price because it didn't sell as well as they hoped it would. Launching a console without getting profit from the hardware isn't something Nintendo normally does.

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol theyll still lose money from the wii U launch in the future

Just like everyone else, just not as badly.
Will they? That would be quite a shift in Nintendo's position. I know they lose money on the 3DS, but that's because they had to lower the price because it didn't sell as well as they hoped it would. Launching a console without getting profit from the hardware isn't something Nintendo normally does.
They aren't losing money with the current price of the 3ds they are losing PROFIT, but that doesn't matter when your selling them like hotcakes. Now all the idiots who actually thought the 3ds would flop can shut the hell up.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They still have sales for Americans on African American Friday?

Now you know why policatal correctness is wrong kids! And knowing is half the battle?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the games didn't have too much in the way of competition on their consoles. The numbers are good, but surprising? Not really.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Like I said, 3DS itself is a good console on its own (same for the Vita if you want me to drag it in). To me there's no such thing as 'fail' in this instance.

The only 'fail' to me is when total handheld sales are totally wiped out by smartphones.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They still have sales for Americans on African American Friday?

Now you know why policatal correctness is wrong kids! And knowing is half the battle?
FYI, the name "Black Friday" actually originates from the sales, as it gives retailers a chance to profit. Usually when you're talking numbers, 'black' means positive.
It has absolutely nothing to do with African-American people.

Anyways...
I'm not sure if this is necessarily a good thing. Many people are waiting for a revision (because Nintendo essentially admitted that it's flawed), so the sudden surge would pretty much delay the release of such division, especially if sales hold steady or increase for a while.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended