Nintendo reveals 3DS game sales figures, Zelda: Skyward Sword sales

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I was just saying that if the dev team has rebuilt the entire game from scratch, picture perfect on a new platform, that is certainly not "lazy". My guess is for OoT they just didn't want to change anything about the main mode because purists would be upset.

Reactions: 1 person

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Wait... "sold" or "shifted"?
Sold units, this isn't Sony. :P

http://www.nintendo....012/120127e.pdf

I love how it only says "Other" instead of "Europe" B-)
That's because it's not Europe but rather the rest of Asia, Europe, Africa and Australia, just like The Americas isn't just USA and Canada but the rest of the countries in South America as well... I don't know how many they sell in those, but no matter how small the quantity, they must have some official retailers in those countries.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, considering that Zelda OoT sold ~7 million copies in its N64 lifetime, the 3DS sales aren't that bad.
I knew they should have added more to the remake. It's was a lazy remake, which disappointed me.

You can't really add anything to an already complete game unless they were tossing in vintage Zelda games with the software as well, which for Nintendo would be a bit pointless as they could make more money off selling the games individually.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was just saying that if the dev team has rebuilt the entire game from scratch, picture perfect on a new platform, that is certainly not "lazy". My guess is for OoT they just didn't want to change anything about the main mode because purists would be upset.

Yup, and that was something I really appreciated about the game. I hope that if they go for a remake of other Majora's Mask and do it exactly like they did Ocarina of Time.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Yup, and that was something I really appreciated about the game. I hope that if they go for a remake of other Majora's Mask and do it exactly like they did Ocarina of Time.
Unfortunatelly I'm in the completely opposite camp then the one you're sitting in.

Making a "from the ground up" remake gives the developers a fantastic opportunity to add new game mechanics to the game or re-work the existing ones to better fit the contemporary gamer. Nintendo refused to use that opportunity and basically served the gamers a "slightly pimped-up" version of the previous game.

In fact, I'm convinced that if they just ported the original code with minor changes and added the high-def models nobody would EVER see the difference, which is not something to brag about.

If someone wants to feel nostalgic about a game from his or her childhood then there's Virtual Console out there, ready to be used for a small fee. I don't think it's fair to the contemporary gamer to serve a greasy burger that's already quite cold as a "fresh dish". I'm wholeheartedly for changes in remakes, people shouldn't treat it as a personal insult if "something was changed in the remake of the game from their childhood" - it's a freaking remake, it's supposed to be different. If you want to play the same old game, just get it over VC or boot up your old console.

Think of Final Fantasy IV for the DS - now that's a remake! Same story, cool "HD" graphics compared to the original, better, updated and contemporary game mechanics, fantastic cutscenes... it's made of honey. Same deal with Resident Evil RE-Make for the GameCube - it's the same story but everything including the voice-over has been replaced and... well, it's wonderful. OOT3D? Not so much. It's the same old OOT with better graphics.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
But oh god, picture the massive backlash that would go down if Nintendo radically altered the main game of Ocarina of Time like they did to FFIV. I can just hear the seething rage of thousands of angry gamers...

That said these are very different situations. FFIV was back in the pioneering days of the RPG. There are tons of things almost objectively wrong with it that were rather in need of fixing. The core gameplay of Ocarina of Time has survived pretty well through the years, really. What did need to be fixed was fixed, with the addition of much quicker item switching, and a few more hints in the Water Temple.

Edit: I don't know what else they could add to the game besides altering the gameplay. Nintendo doesn't like voice acting... They could have made some FMVs I suppose...
Edit 2: Maybe a bonus dungeon. A bonus dungeon would have been cool.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But oh god, picture the massive backlash that would go down if Nintendo radically altered the main game of Ocarina of Time like they did to FFIV. I can just hear the seething rage of thousands of angry gamers...

That said these are very different situations. FFIV back in the pioneering days of the RPG. There are tons of things almost objectively wrong with it that were rather in need of fixing. The core gameplay of Ocarina of Time has survived pretty well through the years, really. What did need to be fixed was fixed, with the addition of much quicker item switching, and a few more hints in the Water Temple.

Edit: I don't know what else they could add to the game besides altering the gameplay. Nintendo doesn't like voice acting... They could have made some FMVs I suppose
I suppose you're right with the "angry gamers rabble rabble rabble" part, but I somehow find the whole "hey, the 3DS has a touchscreen!" aspect a bit downplayed.

Nintendo used to be bragging about it 24/7 - it was natural to expect some minigames involving it in some fashion, which if executed correctly wouldn't be all that annoying.

A quick way to earn rupies? I think so!

That, and maybe upgradable weapons? Editable costumes? Crests you can draw yourself on the shield? Something?

I just think there's place for "extra content" in this game outside of the main story that was not really filled up - it's just an empty void right, really. I played this game only once and only for a limited period of time but after grabbing it relatively soon after I tried the original on the Wii, I was like... "This feels old. Really old". I was generally not impressed, although it does look much, much better on a small screen, I admit.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Yeah, I see what you mean there. Bonus content that does not drastically affect the main game would have been a boon. The game was obviously quite polished. I wonder why they didn't choose to add anything except extra modes

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That said these are very different situations. FFIV back in the pioneering days of the RPG. There are tons of things almost objectively wrong with it that were rather in need of fixing. The core gameplay of Ocarina of Time has survived pretty well through the years, really. What did need to be fixed was fixed, with the addition of much quicker item switching, and a few more hints in the Water Temple.

Edit: I don't know what else they could add to the game besides altering the gameplay. Nintendo doesn't like voice acting... They could have made some FMVs I suppose
I suppose you're right with the "angry gamers rabble rabble rabble" part, but I somehow find the whole "hey, the 3DS has a touchscreen!" aspect a bit downplayed.

Nintendo used to be bragging about it 24/7 - it was natural to expect some minigames involving it in some fashion, which if executed correctly wouldn't be all that annoying.

A quick way to earn rupies? I think so!

That, and maybe upgradable weapons? Editable costumes? Crests you can draw yourself on the shield? Something?

I just think there's place for "extra content" in this game outside of the main story that was not really filled up - it's just an empty void right, really. I played this game only once and only for a limited period of time but after grabbing it relatively soon after I tried the original on the Wii, I was like... "This feels old. Really old". I was generally not impressed, although it does look much, much better on a small screen, I admit.

Upgrable weapons? Playing SS abit much are we? Something like that would demand a whole re-classing in the games balencing (The biggoron sword already makes the game way too easy if you get it within the adult chapters first three dungeons) Now costumes and shield decals I can agree with, I was shocked at the fact that MK7 lacked the custom decal feature. I could live without the minigames (Mario 64 DS and NSMBs stopped being fun, fast.) plus the game has enough minigames to start with.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Upgrable weapons? Playing SS abit much are we? Something like that would demand a whole re-classing in the games balencing (The biggoron sword already makes the game way too easy if you get it within the adult chapters first three dungeons)
...and you don't think that re-making the game from scratch is THE perfect opportunity to do that?

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Upgrable weapons? Playing SS abit much are we? Something like that would demand a whole re-classing in the games balencing (The biggoron sword already makes the game way too easy if you get it within the adult chapters first three dungeons)
...and you don't think that re-making the game from scratch is THE perfect opportunity to do that?
Just make another zelda in that case.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You can use that argument for anything. Why upgrade all the models? You can just as well make a new Zelda game. Why update sounds? You can just as well make a new Zelda game. Why re-model the entire maps? You can just as well make a new Zelda game.

Don't give me that, please.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use that argument for anything. Why upgrade all the models? You can just as well make a new Zelda game. Why update sounds? You can just as well make a new Zelda game. Why re-model the entire maps? You can just as well make a new Zelda game.

Don't give me that, please.

So you would rather have them change key features of gameplay and re-balence the whole system for a remake? That sounds stupid for me, in fact I prefer ports over remakes for the simple fact that when people remake everyone expects them to add crap that the game really didnt need (unless the true game sucked and in that case they dont even port it) little features that make it a bit more fun (Like you said, extra costumes/masks or shield decals) are fine as long as they dont really change the gameplay, but when you do something like extra/upgrable weapons that can potenially destroy the balencing of the game. Re-doing sounds and models and maps is one thing but ADDING big content like that is risky.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you would rather have them change key features of gameplay and re-balence the whole system for a remake? That sounds stupid for me, in fact I prefer ports over remakes for the simple fact that when people remake everyone expects them to add crap that the game really didnt need (unless the true game sucked and in that case they dont even port it) little features that make it a bit more fun (Like you said, extra costumes/masks or shield decals) are fine as long as they dont really change the gameplay, but when you do something like extra/upgrable weapons that can potenially destroy the balencing of the game. Re-doing sounds and models and maps is one thing but ADDING big content like that is risky.

Generally the point of a remake should be to change shit. The 3DS "remakes" were basically ports in every manner except being a textbook port. They changed approximately nothing outside of the graphics (and the upgrade in that department could be far, far better) and kept everything the same, despite the fact that the game hasn't aged perfectly.

Everyone apparently loves touch screen aiming. First person bow aiming is shit if you want/need to do it manually instead of a lock-on. Where's my Twilight Princess-esque third person touch screen manual aiming? Hell, combat could use a bit of a tweak. I don't expect anything deep from Zelda combat but at least make it look as nice as it did in Twilight Princess. Add some special movies or some bullshit like that. Hell, even do the unthinkable and mix up the dungeons a bit. Maybe add some more puzzles or fix ones that are incredibly obtuse. It's what makes a remake a remake.

People complain all the time about games being too static but when, god forbid, anyone suggest someone do something "risky" for Zelda, it's immediately shot down. The same principle that prevents Zelda from significant change is the same principle that makes CoD break sales records every time it comes out. People feel safe with the now and almost anything new is "too risky". Whatever happened to "no risk, no reward"?

D

Deleted User

Generally the point of a remake should be to change shit. The 3DS "remakes" were basically ports in every manner except being a textbook port. They changed approximately nothing outside of the graphics (and the upgrade in that department could be far, far better) and kept everything the same, despite the fact that the game hasn't aged perfectly.

Everyone apparently loves touch screen aiming. First person bow aiming is shit if you want/need to do it manually instead of a lock-on. Where's my Twilight Princess-esque third person touch screen manual aiming? Hell, combat could use a bit of a tweak. I don't expect anything deep from Zelda combat but at least make it look as nice as it did in Twilight Princess. Add some special movies or some bullshit like that. Hell, even do the unthinkable and mix up the dungeons a bit. Maybe add some more puzzles or fix ones that are incredibly obtuse. It's what makes a remake a remake.

People complain all the time about games being too static but when, god forbid, anyone suggest someone do something "risky" for Zelda, it's immediately shot down. The same principle that prevents Zelda from significant change is the same principle that makes CoD break sales records every time it comes out. People feel safe with the now and almost anything new is "too risky". Whatever happened to "no risk, no reward"?
It's an updated version of the engine as well, seeing as how the engine couldn't run at 30 frame per second.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: downloading a couple of puyo puyo ds games