OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://kotaku.com/5213054/dsi-includes-new...racy-protection

The DSi doesn't just include some hardware upgrades and the ability to download games directly to the system, it might also include more robust anti-piracy software as well.

Reports of some DS games, perhaps bootlegged copies of these games, not working on the DSi have started to show up in our mailbox and on several forums including GameSpot, IGN, Yahoo and CheapAssGamer.

Reached for comment, Nintendo declined to say whether the software and technology used to fight video game piracy in the DSi was any different from the DS.

"Nintendo vigorously fights the illegal copying of video games around the world.," a spokesperson said. "All of our hardware and software includes technological features that combat video game piracy, but we do not disclose what those specific features are."

Nintendo's anti-piracy site also doesn't detail any differences in the DSi, though it stands to reason that a new platform would include upgraded piracy tech.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
392215547_bf0e298327.jpg

This is really old news.
I already tried my AKRPG out of spite on my US DSi and while it displays, it gives an error.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inaccurate title. Clearly the new hardware revision meant blocking out old flashcarts. But we knew that going in, and this site even had that as a main page attraction for awhile with the wall of fail. And then AceKard2.1i came out. And now there are at least 3 or 4 other DSi compatible flashcarts. So yeah, it blocked the old tech, but it took about... what a few months between the Japanese release and the American release to find a cart that can play old DS games on the new DSi using a flashcart. The bigger issue is did Nintendo just shoot themselves in the foot, with an SD card option available, my opinion is that we might be looking towards CFW in the future, so no flashcart, maybe just a passthrough type device.

zalman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The article is actually referring to actual bootleg carts which look like the real thing and which the DSi has proven to be less compatible with.

JoyConG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did Nintendo's AP site just spawn up on the 15th..? Otherwise that article is useless. It's been known for a long time that Nintendo tried to do away with the first batch of cards and Wii chips. And I do believe they mean all types of piracy because of the pictures. You do have to wonder though, won't a site like that just create more pirates? an official Nintendo site with pictures of the devices, that will get around quick.

SonicRax

Egg-Mayo: The Movie
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE(r3dt@rget @ Apr 22 2009, 02:32 PM) So far there are only a few games that you SHOULD NOT PLAY with your DSi if you have roms of them. A list is kept here for your protection:

http://dsifanboy.com/showthread.php?t=1164

So far these games might brick your DSi if you use AK2i to play them.

... I've played all three of those games on my AK2i, and finished them completely. I haven't had a single problem doing so while playing on my DSi. o_o; Maybe it's down to the card build?

r3dt@rget

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, they may brick it. It may not always hurt it, and there is some speculation as to what version of Ak2i does it. And are you using the region version specified?

SonicRax

Egg-Mayo: The Movie
Trophies
XP
Country
For the ROMs? Yeah, I'm using the exact same regions. Nothing's happened as of yet. :3 I remember reading somewhere, I think it was a thread on here, that someone's card was bricked by one of those three games. But there were no reports of the actual system being bricked itself from what I remember. o_o Like that thread you posted also said, it's the card getting bricked, and not the DSi itself.

r3dt@rget

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh yes sorry my mistake the card is affected not your system. Dont mean to scare people lol. But ya these are just reports so they may or may not be true just kinda be on the lookout for more reports if you plan on using one of these games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol newegg+