Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lPBwA.jpg

As a follow up to the recent rumor regarding Wii U being less powerful than current HD consoles, a Nintendo spokesperson has made a statement saying, "We do not focus on technology specs. We understand that people like to dissect graphics and processing power, but the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers."

CVG also reports that "supposedly leaks" from retailers in Japan and the US date Wii U for a November 18 launch.

:arrow: Source: CVG

Reactions: 2 people

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This was pretty much the same thing regarding the Wii and it not being that powerful, but then again Nintendo has never been a company about making the most powerful system, they have always been about making an affordable and functional gaming system.
It seems I was wrong and their systems were powerful before hand, but this being said, I never focused on the specs of the systems before because I only focus on how much i enjoyed the games on the systems.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was pretty much the same thing regarding the Wii and it not being that powerful, but then again Nintendo has never been a company about making the most powerful system, they have always been about making an affordable and functional gaming system.

Well, they were never about power. Except for everything before the Wii. Now they're the family friendly affordable one!

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Well, they were never about power. Except for everything before the Wii. Now they're the family friendly affordable one!
Going back and looking at the specs of their older systems, most of them weren't very powerful. From the looks of it, not being an expert, the gamecube is barely more powerful than the PS2, but not as powerful as the xbox.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not expecting the Wii U to compete on next gen level, but I'd at least expect it to have greater performance over PS3/X360. If not, I'm not buying one unless it's really inexpensive. Simple as.

soratheultima

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
well thats nintendo for you always thinking about how to make games look better without affecting performance lol i mean check out super mario galaxy on the wii's specs O.O (then again running it on 480P is probably the reason that works) i trust them i may not be buying it real quickly since im going to college.. (buut as long as it has an HDMI plug and can upscale wii games im cool with it *if it can do that im not sure .>)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going back and looking at the specs of their older systems, most of them weren't very powerful. From the looks of it, not being an expert, the gamecube is barely more powerful than the PS2, but not as powerful as the xbox.

The N64 was more powerful than the PSX and almost every Nintendo diehard will bring up how their Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2.

Nintendo never bragged about being "about the experience" until they decided that having modern tech is overrated and just kinda stunted an entire level of growth by a generation.

If this basically confirms the next gen will be much more powerful than the Wii U than that coffin is already nailed shut. If I wanted something with current gen graphics and a touchscreen I'd just play my Vita. At least that has actual analog sticks. Okay that last part was a bit trollish but you know what, I like powerful consoles, I like advanced graphics, and I think that buying into a console that's basically current gen just because it's Nintendo branded or has a funky controller is just pretty dumb. Unless of course next gen consoles just really flip the table on keeping conventional controllers, in which case I'll go buy a PC or something.

well thats nintendo for you always thinking about how to make games look better without affecting performance lol i mean check out super mario galaxy on the wii's specs O.O i trust them i may not be buying it real quickly since im going to college.. (buut as long as it has an HDMI plug and can upscale wii games im cool with it *if it can do that im not sure .>)

Super Mario Galaxy looks good because shader tech is really good nowadays (I mean even the 3DS can have almost current gen level shading) and the game has practically no texture. Everything is as flat as a baby's bottom. You try anything that looks mildly realistic on the system and it looks like crap. Outside of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, that game really did look great.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers.

I've always gone for the version of a game that plays the best however their priority should be on content.

To me its worth having because Nintendo make the best games, they make games that make me smile and I do love their game quality when it comes to their main titles (however spin offs of like Mario Party...mmm not so much) however I'm sure they'll have a larger audience if the console has a good enough specs to accommodate multiplatform releases. A larger audience means games like Xenoblade Chronicles may get better chance of release rather then have the gamers petition for a release.

Sure they had the casual crowd, that is great for their Mario & fitness titles but those hardly buy many games. For me the Wii U has potential if done right, Nintendo needs to make sure its got enough for the so called "core" crowd who love games like Dark Souls, Arkham City as well as the great titles Nintendo do themselves and at the same time tap into the casual crowd to fund the more risky titles that may not be hits.

Reactions: 5 people
D

Deleted User

All console games look outdated to me as a PC gamer, Its all about a different gaming experience.
I think gameplay and Game Quality beats graphics any day, And Nintendo's Quality and uniqueness outshines that of Sony And Xbox any day.

Reactions: 7 people

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

The N64 was more powerful than the PSX and almost every Nintendo diehard will bring up how their Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2.

Nintendo never bragged about being "about the experience" until they decided that having modern tech is overrated and just kinda stunted an entire level of growth by a generation.

If this basically confirms the next gen will be much more powerful than the Wii U than that coffin is already nailed shut. If I wanted something with current gen graphics and a touchscreen I'd just play my Vita. At least that has actual analog sticks. Okay that last part was a bit trollish but you know what, I like powerful consoles, I like advanced graphics, and I think that buying into a console that's basically current gen just because it's Nintendo branded or has a funky controller is just pretty dumb. Unless of course next gen consoles just really flip the table on keeping conventional controllers, in which case I'll go buy a PC or something.
Since caring so much about specs seems to be a modern day thing, I never really noticed nor cared if my system was more powerful than this one or looked better than this one. I always cared more about the games on the system and what they brought to the table. If I really wanted the nice graphics and a powerhouse in my living room, I would have bought the PS3 a long time ago. Now this doesn't mean I hate powerful system nor any system not Nintendo. One would be shocked to find out I owned both a PS2 and Xbox before I bought a Gamecube and I even owned a 360 before I bought a wii. Hell I even play my xbox 1 and PS2 far more than I play my wii, my point being that i don't care how the game looks, I only care how much I enjoy the game.

Reactions: 1 person

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Covering up just in case as Nintendo spokesmen usually do, they are just as clueless as we are when it comes to what Nintendo of Japan is doing.

Anyway, seeing as they said it would most likely be sold at a loss I don't see how it's going to be a weak system specwise, given that the price would be around a normal launchprice.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Gameplay over specs?.....everytime, surely everybody would buy a console for the enjoyment out of the games than for the specs

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, the original Gameboy and the Gameboy Advance beg to differ.

Reactions: 6 people

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Its obvious that the Wii U will be more powerful than anything already out since current gen console use such old hardware. Now its almost certain that the new xbox and ps will be more powerful than the Wii U but also more expensive.

Anyways, who care about all this. Even with some systems having higher specs when multiplat game comes out they always look better on the console dev focus on first coz they then make poor port to the other consoles to save time.

If you ask me, what makes console stand out is its exclusives. And Nintendo and Sony have the best exclusive so far. There is not a single Microsoft game that is interesting that you cant find on other consoles or PC. Cant say the same about the other 2 consoles though...

So if Nintendo gets great exclusives once again, i'm getting the Wii U after a few price drops lol

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, the original Gameboy and the Gameboy Advance beg to differ.
As I just stated, I never even noticed my systems power overall because I never focused on the specs.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Gameplay over specs?.....everytime, surely everybody would buy a console for the enjoyment out of the games than for the specs
Better specs = more possibilities for designers, leading to better A.I, more spacious environments, lowered loading times, better effects and graphics. Gameplay is not affected by specs much, but the rest of the game is. A lackluster console gets lackluster titles and little attention from third party.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
but the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers.
What this tells me is next gen will be like this gen........Water down multiplat for the Wii U.

This is good for nintendo, because Nintendo games don't need it, but games from 3rd party developers will suffer from the lower spec, just like this gen.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As I just stated, I never even noticed my systems power overall because I never focused on the specs.
Oh yeah, you noticed. The moment you booted up Farcry Vengeance, Dead Rising: Chop till you Drop, any Call of Duty game or any other multiplatform title on the Wii. You noticed and it became strikingly apparent to you why those good games were shit on the system.

D

Deleted User

Oh yeah, you noticed. The moment you booted up Farcry Vengeance, Dead Rising: Chop till you Drop, any Call of Duty game or any other multiplatform title on the Wii. You noticed and it became strikingly apparent to you why those good games were shit on the system.
Those games look bad on all of the systems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: