Hacking Nintendo Report $762,000,000 Lost Due To Piracy

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Piracy is similar to shoplifting. What I mean by this is if you go into a shop and steal something, the shop has inflated its prices so it doesn't feel the loss. The game companies also inflate the prices due to piracy even if the games can't be copied.

I don't feel sorry for Nintendo at all considering what its charging for VC games and it charging next gen prices for wii games. The wii console and the wiimote etc.... cost way too much. Its just a shame nintendo never decided to print what profit its made from selling the original games. Then what do you get for buying original games? You get Nintendo points that you use to buy ringtones and wallpaper which is free if you know where to look on the internet.

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
as a flashcart owner you can't help but feel somewhat guilty for this loss. Though, i know i did spend my money on DS games prior to me getting a flashcart, now i never buy DS games. Though my gamecube is another story. Also i think most of us that have bought an abundance of big N games believe as a long time customer we have some sort of right over others that are less committed to gaming to downloading these games. I know i feel that way.

Like Warm Wooly Sheep said, he feels that he and only he deserves to right to DL'd and burn wii games. (i know i may be taking that out of context slightly but im just making a point)

Though i see no right in making profit of this luxury we have of Downloading games, sure there are people out there paying high prices for VC games, but the only reason we complain is because we cant put our ROMS on the wii.

so,

Sampling = luxury
Profiting of Sampling = Evil

but at the end of the Day, big N is making the Big bucks and unless we are actually stock holder i dont think anyone should really care, lets be honest if anything is more important at the moment i would say global warming is something we should be worried about rather than our favourite game company going out of business. Because one is gunna happen much sooner, i can't see the Big N dieing anytime soon
happy.gif

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Most of you are missing the point here. Nintendo isn't losing money on flashcards and people downloading games instead of buying them, because they can't actually count on that money in the first place. They are losing money on bootleg copies of game cartriges (or DVDs), because those are bought by people who are willing to pay for a game, and who would be a profit to Nintendo if there weren't for Chinese bootleg factories. The money is paid for them, making it real, actual profit, but it is given to pirates instead of Nintendo, making it an actual loss.

That´s true, but how do they measure that loss?
Those numbers are crap.

burnsams

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I live in Brasil and here the pirate market is big. The ps1 sold a lot thanks to that, so has the Ps2, and now Wii and 360. Im sure they loose a lot of money thanks to that, not only in Brasil but in all Latin America.

However I dont think thats more wrong than the " official nintendo support" aroud here. Thay are pratically non existant... There is a Representant of Nintendo for all Latin America and thats all! Let me show you how nice they are with a little story:

Last yeat I went to a games show (like E3 but lot smaller of course) and Nintendo had a Booth there, with all sorts of hot chicks (I have pics for the interested
smile.gif
and championships on Ds games. I won 3 championships (Big Brain, Brain Age and Tetris) and my prizes were Gamecubes with a game. All 3 came with no box, just a bag, and 1 of them didnt work due to a defective power suppply.
2 months after I went to another championship offered by the representatives of Nintendo, and I won (big brain academy again). I got a DS lite white, again no box. My friend got 2nd place and won a GBA SP no box either, all scratched up!

So I dont see pirating as a good thing, but considering our situation, its the only option for 99% of the people that want to play games. I love Nintendo, always have, supported then since NES, SNES , N64 and GC with originals, but now I had enough.
Here are some prices for you converted to US dollars that we have to pay here to play by the rules :

Wii : 1000 dollars
Wii games : 100 dollars
Wiimote : 120 dollars
PS3 : 2500-3000 dollars

How can anyone pay these prices? If there was a real representative of Nintendo here, a factory, local prodution, I would love to pay more for my games but have the box, manuals and such. But while the prices are like this... Maybe they could spend some more in actually supporting other countries and that would help slowing down piracy, at least more than just complaining!

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's half and half. Nintendo is the first company in a long time to profit of the sale of their actual system. Sony and MS lose money per each unit sold, so they try to recop that money via game sales. Therefore Piracy affects them a lot more then it affects Nintendo.

As for the game piracy, I wonder how this is formulated. Is this for only Nintendo product? Or is this including licensing fees for other Nintendo games.

I actually think that piracy is very dangerous, but for a completely different reason then anyone else here. Piracy mainly effects the smaller publishers. The small publishers are usually the guys that make the best games, or the most inevative games. If we pirate an EA game it effects them slightly but does not put them out of business. However, when you pirate from a Eidos, you are hurting the video game industry as a whole.

Just take a look at the market place. Small houses are going out of business left and right. If not out of business then they are being bought over by EA, or some other big company. These big companies keep spitting out the same crappy game year after year. The creativity is killed.

The small guys mainly go for the creative games to seperate themselves from the crowd. If they are gone, we will have the same crappy game every year. Imagine playing Madden 5 years from now with the same exact controls and graphics. While Madden was always a good game, it got pushed in a right direction by other football games created by smaller studios that are now out of business.

So the lesson to be learned is:

Piracy = The death of creativity in videogames.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
oh and charging 15$AU for a vc game isnt criminal 
dry.gif

rofl2.gif
good one.

I think there are Big N employees in this forum already.

This forum is fully legal though, so Big N employees would only benefit us!

Most of you are missing the point here. Nintendo isn't losing money on flashcards and people downloading games instead of buying them, because they can't actually count on that money in the first place. They are losing money on bootleg copies of game cartriges (or DVDs), because those are bought by people who are willing to pay for a game, and who would be a profit to Nintendo if there weren't for Chinese bootleg factories. The money is paid for them, making it real, actual profit, but it is given to pirates instead of Nintendo, making it an actual loss.

QUOTE(jaxxster @ Apr 11 2007, 03:42 AM)In four years, 7.7 millions copies of video games have been seized in 300 chinese factories.

With all these illegal copies seized, only one lawsuit has been filed in China for software piracy. Nintendo finds this situation scandalous.
They want this situation to stop and they want China to finally put their pirates in jail instead of giving them a small fine.
Copyright laws are next to nonexistent in China (and various smaller Asian countries).

Point well made, i was about to make a similar one.

Guys, nintendo is mainly concerned with bootleg game production etc. and thats what this article is about. not people leeching roms off the net, as thats totally free.

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
alucard77 makes a great point, it's not Nintendo thats getting hurting here its going to be the third parties.

I see this a Nintendo act of "we care about the third parties, so we are gunna stand up for the money they are losing" ploy, because when push comes to shove so far, basically its been Ubisoft and Nintendo developing Wii games because from what ive read, small Developers are scared that their games wont sell on the Wii and they need to make their money back on the devkits and licensing.
The Wii has been tagged as novelty, and everyone seems to be aware that Nintendo is quite happy making money off the consoles rather than the games.
Look at the DS and how easy it is mod now, geez buy a $20 cart put it in and go, its the perfect soft mod, nothing will beat that. And look the DS out sells bread and milk in Japan.

Nintendo is scared and needs to show they care for the third parties, if this works hopefully we get more independent Developers on the Wii.

_Mazza_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've got games equal to $1000s, how many do I play, about 4. How many would I have bought probably none. I probably wouldn't have even got a wii if it couldn't be modded I'm a PC gamer anyway.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
My phone company just lost $538 dollars because I read these 4 pages instead of calling up each and every one of you to ask for your opinions on this topic.

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think there are Big N employees in this forum already.

offtopic for no reason:
gctonyhawk is a big n employee...
if you ever owned an m3 product, you no him.

wtf.gif

I'm sorry, what?

GCTonyHawk7 is not a Nintendo employee, if he was do you think he'd spend his time making (awesome) skins for DS piracy enabling devices? I think you're confusing N-Europe with an official Nintendo site, which is like confusing your Wii mod with a professional job.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
QUOTE said:
They are losing money on bootleg copies of game cartriges (or DVDs), because those are bought by people who are willing to pay for a game, and who would be a profit to Nintendo if there weren't for Chinese bootleg factories.

That´s true, but how do they measure that loss?
Those numbers are crap.
The same way police get their drug trafficking numbers, I guess? "There's $[a lot] of drugs currently in the streets". How do they know? Are they in on the deal? We don't know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.