OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
https://twitter.com/SpawnWaveMedia/status/830893172679200772

I'm not too surprised. Would've been pointless to go with the 3.5mm standard otherwise.

Update: In a separate French article, Nintendo has revealed the 3.5mm jack on Switch will be usable even while docked. In addition, bluetooth headsets will also be usable. So BT confirmed.

Last edited by Xzi,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No it wouldn't be pointless, so long as you could use it for headphones. Might not have been ideal for you, but it would have been all I need.
I mean specifically for voice chat anyway, since you can use just one 3.5mm headset for both your smartphone and Switch. If Switch didn't have a 3.5mm jack I would've expected compatibility with USB headsets.

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean specifically for voice chat anyway, since you can use just one 3.5mm headset for both your smartphone and Switch. If Switch didn't have a 3.5mm jack I would've expected compatibility with USB headsets.
Why? Didn't they say that all the VoIP would be handled by external smart devices anyways?
Having Mic capability with no use seems pointless in it's entirety.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Why? Didn't they say that all the VoIP would be handled by external smart devices anyways?
Having Mic capability with no use seems pointless in it's entirety.
No, this confirms you'll be able to voice chat with Switch's 3.5mm jack. The only thing your smartphone is required for is to join voice chat channels. This also means game audio and voice chat audio in one. I'll be interested to see if they managed to do the same through a smartphone. Wi-fi direct or bluetooth perhaps...

Last edited by Xzi,

itsjch

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
either way its still a benefit to have 3.5mm in the device if it does not get utilized for VOIP or games it could come in handy down the line for things like homebrew if that ever becomes a reality.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, would be really funny if the switch comes out and voicechat can be done via the system in game and the app is just just to overall party chay

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
either way its still a benefit to have 3.5mm in the device if it does not get utilized for VOIP or games it could come in handy down the line for things like homebrew if that ever becomes a reality.
Even better that the 3.5mm jack can be used for VOIP with the possibility of being hacked. It could then use all your typical VOIP apps. If you're into that sort of thing. :lol:

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Update: In a French article, Nintendo has revealed the 3.5mm jack on Switch will be usable even while docked. In addition, bluetooth headsets will also be usable. So BT confirmed.

Last edited by Xzi,

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a note that most of the reps at these events don't actually KNOW anything. Often times they just spout out BS.
Lol. Was watching something on youtube. And they were talking about how they found out the people at the switch events where just paid models and they didnt know any detail about the switch. Just how to run the games and what to not let people do lol....

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty much -ALL- events. Not just the switch events, but thats almost every major booth at E3, Pax, ETC ETC.

Not just video games either... Cell Phones, PCs, all sort of things, at shows.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, this confirms you'll be able to voice chat with Switch's 3.5mm jack. The only thing your smartphone is required for is to join voice chat channels. This also means game audio and voice chat audio in one. I'll be interested to see if they managed to do the same through a smartphone. Wi-fi direct or bluetooth perhaps...
That doesn't CONFIRM anything, it just strongly implies it. For all we know it's just to be used with certain games that may need mic for some reason. But nothing is every really confirmed until Nintendo says it's so. And so far all we've heard from Ninty is that you need to phone to voice chat.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't CONFIRM anything, it just strongly implies it. For all we know it's just to be used with certain games that may need mic for some reason. But nothing is every really confirmed until Nintendo says it's so. And so far all we've heard from Ninty is that you need to phone to voice chat.
People read it that way, but Nintendo has stated now several times from different sources that the 3.5mm jack can be used for voice chat. What they were saying is that the smartphone app is required. We know now you'll be able to use bluetooth headsets with Switch as well.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People read it that way, but Nintendo has stated now several times from different sources that the 3.5mm jack can be used for voice chat. What they were saying is that the smartphone app is required.
Could you link to somewhere that Nintendo clearly says this, instead of just hinting both ways? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious where you heard it from.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Could you link to somewhere that Nintendo clearly says this, instead of just hinting both ways? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious where you heard it from.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...ietary_format_for_the_dock_bluetooth_headset/

http://www.melty.fr/switch-audio-vi...e-et-les-casques-bluetooth-exclu-a590536.html

In regard to the use of bluetooth headsets and 3.5mm headsets while docked, straight from Koizumi. I don't have any other primary sources for the 3.5mm voice chat through Switch, but as the OP states: there are both headphone and mic symbols next to the jack. In addition, several third-party 3.5mm headsets with mics are available for purchase which state they were designed for use specifically with Switch.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...ietary_format_for_the_dock_bluetooth_headset/

http://www.melty.fr/switch-audio-vi...e-et-les-casques-bluetooth-exclu-a590536.html

In regard to the use of bluetooth headsets and 3.5mm headsets while docked, straight from Koizumi. I don't have any other primary sources for the 3.5mm voice chat through Switch, but as the OP states: there are both headphone and mic symbols next to the jack. In addition, several third-party 3.5mm headsets with mics are available for purchase which state they were designed for use specifically with Switch.
As I said before, it strongly points to that being the case, but it doesn't absolutely confirm that's what it is used for. As I said before the mic input could possibly be used in other ways. Is it very likely that the switch will do live chat? Yes. But it is not yet a definite yes, thus not fully confirmed.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I mean this is Nintendo, they can always find a way to royally screw something up.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
As I said before, it strongly points to that being the case, but it doesn't absolutely confirm that's what it is used for. As I said before the mic input could possibly be used in other ways. Is it very likely that the switch will do live chat? Yes. But it is not yet a definite yes, thus not fully confirmed.
Fair enough. I just think it's very likely that if they're going to do full parity with smartphones through 3.5mm and bluetooth, the parity will be there in regard to using those features as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1