Nintendo removes Netflix from 3DS and Wii U eShops, service to be discontinued this year

Netflix_Logo_RGB.png

As the new year rang in across the world, Nintendo was at work quietly removing the Netflix application from the eShop for both the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U. The app was removed on December 31st, 2020, according to a statement released on the Nintendo of America customer support site. The statement assures that users who have already downloaded the Netflix app in the past will be able to re-download it for now, but no new downloads will be available on either platform. The statement goes on to inform that, as of June 30th, 2021, the Netflix service will be discontinued on both devices.

:arrow:Source

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
To be honest, Nintendo is pretty much dead in my eyes.
- The Switch is a good concept, but slow performance and trash build quality-wise.
- Paid online (uh i meant offline, cause you know, i've yet to see this service work) and you pay for Peer2Peer.
- They don't really make any Switch-sellers... like really the number of real switch exclusives can be counted on 2 hands.
Pretty much only filled with lame CTRL+C, CTRL+V from other consoles, mainly the Wii U (which proves that it's a good console, if they can't beat it :P ) .
- Now that Iwata's dead, they're more anti-consumer than ever, they even got Smash fans to hate them now, SMASH FANS!
- They have too much money and literally don't care about doing illegal things.
- Mario Kart Tour and other Nintendo mobile games, what are those abominations from dystopic era?
- Now they remove games from the eShop, cause, you know, they have to beat a Guinness World Record of being the most anti-consumer.
- FIX THAT STUPID JOYCON DRIFT, IT'S BEEN 4 YEARS ALREADY!
- They even added a stupid Nintendo Online button on the main menu and made it so that's the most visible button, guess they struggle to sell a bad service.
- The Switch is literally just a rebranded Nvidia Shield, atleast you can install Android on it.
- The switch's hacking scene has pretty much slowed down a lot...
- Tbh, without hacks, the Switch Menu is pretty bad, you can't even sort your games... Atleast the 3DS and Wii U let you organize your games and use a disk icon in order to not reach the game limit. And both of them let you do what the only customization for the Switch is, changing your mii icon/ theme between dark or white.

I know the decision probably comes from Netflix but still, in my eyes, Nintendo is a dead company from all the things above.
Doesn't the Wii U Browser somehow support Netflix? I'm really hyped to see Pretendo's servers fully complete so Big N won't be able to touch the Wii U any further, they really try their hardest to ruin this pearl of a console. That's why i don't buy an unhackable device, imagine not being able to sideload your games.

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I still use Netflix a lot on the Wii U, I think it's very practical to use it, I can watch it lying on the living room sofa using headphones on the GamePad and if someone wants to use the TV I don't need to stop watching, I just take it the Wii U GamePad and continuous watching in the room.

To be honest, I never even used Netflix on the PC or Smartphone, what I find most irritating is that for now none of them launch Netflix on the Nintendo Switch.

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
- The Switch is a good concept, but slow performance and trash build quality-wise.
- Paid online (uh i meant offline, cause you know, i've yet to see this service work) and you pay for Peer2Peer.
- They don't really make any Switch-sellers... like really the number of real switch exclusives can be counted on 2 hands.
Pretty much only filled with lame CTRL+C, CTRL+V from other consoles, mainly the Wii U (which proves that it's a good console, if they can't beat it :P ) .
- Now that Iwata's dead, they're more anti-consumer than ever, they even got Smash fans to hate them now, SMASH FANS!
- Mario Kart Tour and other Nintendo mobile games, what are those abominations from dystopic era?
- Now they remove games from the eShop, cause, you know, they have to beat a Guinness World Record of being the most anti-consumer.
- They even added a stupid Nintendo Online button on the main menu and made it so that's the most visible button, guess they struggle to sell a bad service.
- The Switch is literally just a rebranded Nvidia Shield, atleast you can install Android on it.
- Tbh, without hacks, the Switch Menu is pretty bad, you can't even sort your games... Atleast the 3DS and Wii U let you organize your games and use a disk icon in order to not reach the game limit. And both of them let you do what the only customization for the Switch is, changing your mii icon/ theme between dark or white.

I know the decision probably comes from Netflix but still, in my eyes, Nintendo is a dead company from all the things above.
Doesn't the Wii U Browser somehow support Netflix? I'm really hyped to see Pretendo's servers fully complete so Big N won't be able to touch the Wii U any further, they really try their hardest to ruin this pearl of a console. That's why i don't buy an unhackable device, imagine not being able to sideload your games.
u forgot 2 mention folders and no web browser

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

u forgot 2 mention folders and no web browser
oh, and mario kart 9 + no backwards compatibility

D

Deleted User

With a softmodded console you can actually install a different app that is supported.
I was just pointing out one of the many benefits of homebrew and soft modding!
i'm not trying to dismiss the benefits of homebrew for preservation, but for a homebrew netflix app you'd need to check netflix's stance on 3rd party clients

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Android netflix app could run on a wii. Iirc ppl ported android OS on their wii, or was it the wii u . . .
Anyways, i might be wrong with this but i was sure we could just use an existing and supported app and make it run on the hardware since we aren't bound to Nintendo firmware . . .

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Android netflix app could run on a wii. Iirc ppl ported android OS on their wii, or was it the wii u . . .
Anyways, i might be wrong with this but i was sure we could just use an existing and supported app and make it run on the hardware since we aren't bound to Nintendo firmware . . .
The problem doing this is that Android needs Widevine DRM support that limits Netflix to 720x480@1750Kbps without Google certification for Widevine L1 (HD support) DRM. 480p Netflix would probably be fine on the gamepad itself but will look bad on a modern TV.

Last edited by driverdis,

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Netflix on the Wii U made sense - the late Satoru Iwata showed how the Wii U was meant to be a sort of "TV companion", offering services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, and YouTube. Thus, it's kind of sad to see that go.

However, Netflix on the 3DS? I tried it once, and was not impressed. I guess it was pretty cool when it first started, but I'm surprised it lasted this long, what with the advent of smartphones and other high definition devices.

Some of you are saying "Bring Netflix to the Nintendo Switch!" I second this movement; If Nintendo is going to kill it off on old platofrms, they ought to at least consider opening it up on a new one.

Breeze926

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I get the people using Netflix on 3DS and Wii U are minimal, but how much work is it really to keep these clients?

Prime_Zero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always wanted to use Netflix on my 3Ds, never did for one reason. I have waited ALL these years for them to update it so I can use my profile. I use a shared account with Family, and it always put me on my wife's the default one lol. Guess I am never getting that profile change update lmao.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end