Nintendo Releases New Wii Firmware

MorPhiend

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm excited for this. I was hoping it would be announced today. But I'm much too fond of my Earthbound Channel to go updating. Sorry, Nintendo. I was planning on finally filling up my 4GB SD card with games using my 10's of thousands of points. But because you are lame, not today. :(

DarkeoX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, i got a friend who seems to have succeded in downgrading a WII tought the new firmware was installed, gonna ask him more info...

djbubba2002

Trophies
XP
Country
marcan Said
I’ll keep this brief.

Nintendo, as expected, half-assed the SD feature by just automating the copy to NAND. No surprise there.
The IOS16 that warez users used to pirate is no longer an option, thank goodness.
HBC survives. So does DVDX.
They fixed the bug that the HBC installer and DVDX 3.4 installer use; time to bring out another one.
Twilight Hack no longer works. I’d like to remind everyone that this exploit has been in use for over a year. Whether it comes back or a new game exploit takes its place, I think we can say it’s served us all well.
No new problems expected with BootMii, other than needing a new exploit as mentioned above.
Tags: Wii
English: If you want to use the Wii Shop or the new features, and have HBC and DVDX, then updating safe.

New exploits exist and are on the way.

IOS16 is a lame trick that pirates used to pirate VC/Warez on 3.4, by pirating IOS16 itself.

S

Sobtanian

Here's my 2 cents:
Wii - 3.2E
Mod - WiiKey 2
Softmods - Gecko OS, Softchip, HBC, Starfall

Updated via system update, now wii is 4.0E

Starfall - fails - exits. All it's hacks "no health screen, region free channels" have gone
HBC - works, as do the apps inside eg wad installer
Softchip/Gecko OS - both work fine
backups - work via disk channel fine (ie wiikey still working fine)
Channels - non-PAL - don't work. Will try to region free them with wizzledizzleshizzle and test
Channels - legit - work fine (obviously
tongue.gif
)
Channels - non-legit - PAL - work fine, installed some new ones (wad installer), all OK. Old installed ones, all OK. Haven't copied to SD card yet to test that
most importantly: PAL madworld - I got freezes (eg bull intro etc), I had to play it with softchip to get passed. This now seems to have resolved
biggrin.gif

So, need to region free some channels to test, and also need to copy nonlegit channels from wii to sd card to see if they still work.

Does anyone know if you can run a channel from the SD without having to install it with wad manager first, then copying it over? will save me a lot of time

pkbelly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
The IOS16 that warez users used to pirate is no longer an option, thank goodness.
QUOTEIOS16 is a lame trick that pirates used to pirate VC/Warez on 3.4, by pirating IOS16 itself.
I don't get it. The IOS16 hack is the only way to install WADs under 3.4 as far as I know, are you saying another IOS16 hack is under development already or that it's not exploitable anymore?

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
pkbelly said:
QUOTE said:
QUOTEIOS16 is a lame trick that pirates used to pirate VC/Warez on 3.4, by pirating IOS16 itself.
I don't get it. The IOS16 hack is the only way to install WADs under 3.4 as far as I know, are you saying another IOS16 hack is under development already or that it's not exploitable anymore?
Marcan doesn't care about pirates who want to install WADs, the only thing he cares about is homebrew. For installing the Homebrew Channel without the bug in IOS16, there's already another bug. It's said that it's fixed in 4.0, but appareantly Team Twiizers has yet another one!

If you care about homebrew: don't worry, they'll find a way to replace the Twilight Hack and make the Homebrew Channel and DVDX installable again.
If you care about the Backup Launcher or VC/WiiWare pirating it's another story.

Shinigami Kiba

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
"IOS16 is a lame trick that pirates used to pirate VC/Warez on 3.4, by pirating IOS16 itself."

XFD
I want to punch this guy in the face so bad right about now.
Some of us don't live in countries where original games are.......ah forget it, a moron like that wouldn't understand anyways, he should just do his job and stop bashing pirates.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shinigami Kiba said:
I want to punch this guy in the face so bad right about now.
Some of us don't live in countries where original games are.......ah forget it, a moron like that wouldn't understand anyways, he should just do his job and stop bashing pirates.
Without this "moron" you wouldn't be able to play your pirated DVD games without a modchip and you wouldn't even be able to install any WAD on your Wii.

Briankealing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get how this works. Doesn't this mean that someone could copy over a channel's files onto a computer and then later boot them on a seperate wii?

S

Sobtanian

OK, more testing:

Softchip says that cIOS36_rev8 is still installed, which is useful
smile.gif

Channels:
Regionfreed channels (using wizzle shizzle....) are working fine! So Bit.Trip and Gradius (the 2 I tested) which are both NTSC work fine on my PAL 4.0E after region freeing them.
ANY NONLEGIT Channels (pal, ntsc) DO NOT work after copying to SD card, "failed to launch" error. Trying to copy them back doesn't work either. SO, the only way to play nonlegit channels is to use the wad manager to install them, the old fashioned way.

I don't know what this IOS16 business is all about? I just downloaded a wad, installed it with wad manager, and it worked.

Ranma

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gamer said:
Captain_J_Sheridan said:
Updated it with Wii Key here, haven't tried my own games

The VC games that haven't been legally bought give a "Failed to Launch" error

Do you mean after moving them to the SD card?

Yeah. Pirated VC/Wiiware games won't run on an SD card. I also wasn't able to move the one I tested with back from my SD card to system memory.

Hopefully this (and a new version of starfall, or something similar) gets fixed soon. Especially since I only have 5 or so legit VC games. =\

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over