Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
wii.gif
Nintendo releases new firmware
Now you can load from SD!

Just a few minutes ago, Nintendo released a brand new update which allows Wii users to load games directly from the SD card, but not only that, from SDHC cards as well! This firmware update is definitely the definitive storage solution Nintendo had talked about in the past. Joystiq confirms that the update is available in America, while I can personally confirm the update is also available in Europe. Assumably, this update is available worldwide.

The storage solution still cannot unfortunately load save games from the SD card, however, this is likely due to the SDK not having this option in the first place.

There are three small differences to the SD Menu and the Wii Menu. The first, being the channel preview having a default "tune" and only showing the channel's logo when selecting the channel from the menu. The second and third are simple aesthetic changes, namely, the background and bottom bar being black. I can also confirm that The Homebrew Channel works on the SD Card menu, which is great for all of our users running homebrew.

icon11.gif
 Source
discuss.png
 Discuss

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Ooo, does it make an attempt to block homebrew or chips? I'll bet it does... and I'll bet Bushing and the other Wii hackers will crack it in 2 seconds... again.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
QUOTE said:
I can also confirm that The Homebrew Channel works on the SD Card menu, which is great for all of our users running homebrew.

are you saying its save to update ?
so even if i would update my wii now everything should work ?

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
coolbho3000 said:
Ooo, does it make an attempt to block homebrew or chips? I'll bet it does... and I'll bet Bushing and the other Wii hackers will crack it in 2 seconds... again.

I just tested The Homebrew Channel (I did mention it up there...
tongue.gif
), and it appears to run fine.

pkbelly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
And what about the Twilight Hack? and WAD manager / WAD manager channel?
Very eager to update for SDHC but still cautious about that :\

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
25 March 09: Nintendo has issued a batch update to the majority of the various IOS versions. More information at 25 March 2009 Batch IOS Update . Updating is not recommended at this point.

According to wiibrew.org

Don't update.
tongue.gif

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes... A bit more info if you don't mind.. Does the wad installer still work, and does it mess with any mod-chips.. That you know of?

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am running firmware 3.4U..have the soft mod as well as the mod chip..will my Wii automatically update this new version or no..and if it does, will my soft mod and mod chip no longer work??

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
sooooo.....if I upgraded to this WITH MY CURRENT TWILIGHT HACKED 2.1 U FIRMWARE...

the HBC would still be there and my twilight hack would be untouched??

SD launcher looks cool..for all those big .WAD installs

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
HBC would still be there and the twilight hack would die, but you'd most likely be unable to install anything new. Read my post in the topic on the frontpage.

Basically, don't update. Read my post in the frontpage topic for the reason why.

Shinigami Kiba

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
I wonder if this can be installed as a WAD to 3.2 so we don't have to update.
I don't want to lose StarFall and end up not being able to unbrick my wii if it bricks at some point or be unable to play non EU VC and WiiWare games.

I always wanted to be able to boot WiiWare and VC from an SD card, but I'll wait and see if this can somehow be brought to 3.2 either through a custom channel or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night