Nintendo releases free Nintendo Switch game 'Jump Rope Challenge'

jump1.jpg

If 2020 wasn't surprising enough, Nintendo just came with a surprise announcement: a free Nintendo Switch game. Titled Jump Rope Challenge, Nintendo describes it as a "simple game" that helps you "take an active break in your day by jumping rope". The company explains that it was made by "a few Nintendo developers while working from home in Japan to add quick and fun physical movement into their daily life." It seems that they want to share their creation to the world as many are working remotely and could do with some new take on physical activity.

By using the Joy-Cons as a jumping rope handle, players can keep active with successive jumps and keep the on-screen counter climbing up. It allows you to keep track of your daily progress, as well as set a daily goal to reach. As the game has "challenge" in its title, a friends can also join in the activity with another pair of Joy-Cons and compete for the highest score.

jump3.jpg

jump2.jpg jump4.jpg jump 5.jpg

Will you try Jump Rope Challenge? What's your daily goal?

UPDATE:

According to a Nintendo press release, the company notes that the game is a "limited-time release until the end of September 2020".

:arrow: SOURCE
:download: Jump Rope Challenge eShop link

Last edited by Prans, , Reason: added Nintendo statement

CrAzYLiFe

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
First - again, a company isnt human. ;)
Second - the idea here is to use 'human social cues' like 'gifting' to get you into liking the company more.

BUT.

The emotion that is aimed to be triggered is 'that person has done something for me, I owe them/hold them in good graces' - this is a response thats hardcoded in human social behavior ("giving back").

Its hardcoded in social behavior, because we sometimes need favors and to make that work, we give back. We also like to be friendly (eventually maybe making friends), and therefore we also give back.

BUT.

We never can 'pull favors' from companies, they arent human, they work differently - so the entire 'being on good graces response' towards them is wrong. Our response seems natural 'oh they have done something for me, I better hold them in good graces' but they are pulling a fraud.

Based on our social and emotional responses.

1. Their expenses are the advertising costs for a month, and this scales to millions and millions of people, who now have at least a slight urge to "give back" installed.

2. Your entire processing is still on the level of 'Nintendo has done you something good' meaning, you are judging this on this 'favor for favor' social system. But you never can pull a favor from them. So the emotional need to return a favor to them is - wrong.

3. Their marketing departments are pulling this trigger actively, intentionally, and in the expectation to get something back. Just know that. :) And they are doing that in the most exploitative fashion possible, by basically spending, lets say 3000 USD, and reaching millions and millions of people, instilling 'giving back' responses. Or 'being on good graces' responses.

"Isn't that just normal social behavior?" is exactly the problem. :) They are conning you.

When a gift is so entirely 'useless' (clicker game), its easiest to point that out. :)

At the same time, they are making it a 'timed exclusive' to raise the perceived 'value' of the gift. ("Uh, I can miss it!?")

Its all a ruse. ;) For a purpose. Exploiting human social behavior. (It costs them nothing more if 1 person downloads the gift or 20 million, they arent doing you a favor, and you shouldnt perceive them emotionally as 'human', because in all their decision and behavior patterns, they distinctly are not. The are something different. They are a company. :) )

Think you missed the whole point...

Company's are run by humans, humans who want you to like their company, most humans also want you to like them.

This is all pretty standard stuff, Your not blowing anyone's mind hole here that Nintendo are trying to give free stuff to make people like them.

There is no ruse it's exactly what it is Nintendo giving out a free game for there own benefit.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Company's are run by humans, humans who want you to like their company, most humans also want you to like them.
Why would humans want you to like their company? Lets say if they are a programmer, during corona, cant work on their normal dayjob - because something in project management went wrong, and now work on their designated day filler "jump the rope rabbit"?

Do they suffer from stockholm syndrom?

Have they eaten too much "the company is me, and I am company" PR?

I insist, that you missed the entire point.

Companies dont act like humans, every step they take - usually, and certainly in this case, they follow a written out cost/benefit analysis, NOT a 'favor for favor' social model. ('Gifts keep friendships' ;) )

Yet they highjack the human 'favor for favor' system, by first giving you a present (cost: 3000USD/downloadnumber (lets say 20 Mio)), on purpose (marketing department getting slot and greenlighting the release in the store), under a false premise (valuable, because time limited).

If you are just dumb, I cant help it. But the company does nothing of that because 'humans work there, that act human'.

Even more problematic, company uses the maybe 'real' impulse, of one of their workers to 'do something genuinely good', and transforms it into a tit for tat - marketing stunt. That costs them nothing, and brings them disproportionate returns (compared to cost), and good will.

The issue here is, that human social behavior systems arent created for "one to millions" interpersonal communications. So whenever you react "as if the other side was a person" you are exploited. By the marketing department. Knowing full well, that this is what they are paid to do.

Lets take the reverse case - you want something from a company. In what circumstances, do you think the company has the leeway to 'do you a favor'? Or put differently, how 'human' do you think the company acts, when you ask them for a favor. (The thing that behavioral system is actually built for. ("Why we give gifts" (aside from 'it just feeling good')) )

I'm not just giving you my opinion on this ('which I could be wrong about'), I'm saying, I've read marketing literature, this is what it describes as 'tools that work, and you should use'.

If in any case, in an interaction with a for profit company, you think of them as 'human' you are scamed.

They arent human in action, not in decision structures, and not in front of the law.

The cost benefit analysis on this 'gift' is not - lets do Bob a favor - but a reputation score, that cost you 0.001 cent per customer/user. Behavioral marketing is very cost effective, because it exploits human behavioral traits. (If a gift is offered, you take it.)

I insist, that this logic is correct. ;)

There is nothing naive, and nothing - 'just goodwill' about Nintendo releasing a "time limited free game". You are wrong.

And if you are wrong like this on facebook every day, with other brands, we have a problem. (That facebook actually designed - because brands 'just look like humans' there, design wise.. ;) = why social media marketing is also aimed to look 'personable')

(The same logic then has thousands of users, write to twitter support accounts, as if they were friends, asking them for 'a favor'. Marketing departments first laugh their asses off for a day seeing that, then design systems to 'tackle that' by paying as little as possible. ;) )

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
There is one exception/edge case. :)

If companies try to gain more marketownership (a higher percentage of a market), they usually do it, handing down a price advantage.

But not always - sometimes, usually, when they want to create a new market segment, or a new 'way of shopping' (more 'friction free' than conventional shopping), they may focus on consumer experience, and be very forthcoming with cutting you some slack.

When amazon does this, they usually hand down cost to the original shopowner, but some companies in their growth stage, if they have the financing, might not.

None of this has to do with them behaving like humans, and wanting you to like them.

Last edited by notimp,

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that dampens my hopes of holding onto this game indefinitely, unless I use CFW. So much like Apple's IOS, the Microsoft store, or stock Android ROMs with Google Apps: they often either don't let me download apps or even view their catalog without an account. :sad: This is one of the reasons I prefer using the package managers of Linux and other Unix-like OSes.

I think it means you've got until September to get it, like how Four Swords was released for free to DSi / 3DS owners for a limited time. As long as you claimed it on your account, you should have the ability to re-download it later.

I could always be wrong, though.

CrAzYLiFe

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Think you missed the whole point...

This is all pretty standard stuff, Your not blowing anyone's mind hole here that Nintendo are trying to give free stuff to make people like them.

There is no ruse it's exactly what it is Nintendo giving out a free game for there own benefit.
Why would humans want you to like their company? Lets say if they are a programmer, during corona, cant work on their normal dayjob - because something in project management went wrong, and now work on their designated day filler "jump the rope rabbit"?

Do they suffer from stockholm syndrom?

Have they eaten too much "the company is me, and I am company" PR?

I insist, that you missed the entire point.

Companies dont act like humans, every step they take - usually, and certainly in this case, they follow a written out cost/benefit analysis, NOT a 'favor for favor' social model. ('Gifts keep friendships' ;) )

Yet they highjack the human 'favor for favor' system, by first giving you a present (cost: 3000USD/downloadnumber (lets say 20 Mio)), on purpose (marketing department getting slot and greenlighting the release in the store), under a false premise (valuable, because time limited).

If you are just dumb, I cant help it. But the company does nothing of that because 'humans work there, that act human'.

Even more problematic, company uses the maybe 'real' impulse, of one of their workers to 'do something genuinely good', and transforms it into a tit for tat - marketing stunt. That costs them nothing, and brings them disproportionate returns (compared to cost), and good will.

The issue here is, that human social behavior systems arent created for "one to millions" interpersonal communications. So whenever you react "as if the other side was a person" you are exploited. By the marketing department. Knowing full well, that this is what they are paid to do.

Lets take the reverse case - you want something from a company. In what circumstances, do you think the company has the leeway to 'do you a favor'? Or put differently, how 'human' do you think the company acts, when you ask them for a favor. (The thing that behavioral system is actually built for. ("Why we give gifts" (aside from 'it just feeling good')) )

I'm not just giving you my opinion on this ('which I could be wrong about'), I'm saying, I've read marketing literature, this is what it describes as 'tools that work, and you should use'.

If in any case, in an interaction with a for profit company, you think of them as 'human' you are scamed.

They arent human in action, not in decision structures, and not in front of the law.

The cost benefit analysis on this 'gift' is not - lets do Bob a favor - but a reputation score, that cost you 0.001 cent per customer/user. Behavioral marketing is very cost effective, because it exploits human behavioral traits. (If a gift is offered, you take it.)

I insist, that this logic is correct. ;)

There is nothing naive, and nothing - 'just goodwill' about Nintendo releasing a "time limited free game". You are wrong.

And if you are wrong like this on facebook every day, with other brands, we have a problem. (That facebook actually designed - because brands 'just look like humans' there, design wise.. ;) = why social media marketing is also aimed to look 'personable')

(The same logic then has thousands of users, write to twitter support accounts, as if they were friends, asking them for 'a favor'. Marketing departments first laugh their asses off for a day seeing that, then design systems to 'tackle that' by paying as little as possible. ;) )
They are run by humans trying to make a profit, if they can make people think their good by giving out a crappy game that costs them nothing why wouldn't they?

I don't understand what your actually arguing here.

Company's want to make money that's generally what drives a company make more products and to grow. Make money and cut losses it's fairly common sense and how any successful company operate.

Are you trying to say company's should run at a loss? Because then there is no point at having the company, or are you saying we should be mad at them for giving us a free game? Or you just mad you wanted a better game for free and feel as though you deserve that some how?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
They are run by humans trying to make a profit, if they can make people think their good by giving out a crappy game that costs them nothing why wouldn't they?
Thats what I'm saying. :)

Premeditated, on purpose, ... ;) For a money-equivalent return.

I'm pretty tired of defending, why companies should or shouldnt be allowed to give out 'free samples' so customers then feel at least a little obliged to buy the full product (see sampling). Of course they are doing it, because it works.

In this case three aspects are more problematic imho -

- the insane cost benefit ratio (costs them basically nothing for what it nets them in media attention, goodwill, and children feeling like they've recieved something neat and special, for three to ten minutes.. ;) )

- the absolute trop dead stupid nature of the product (half of a burgerking games worth of effort), combined with the feelgood nature for parents - when 'movement games' are absolutely not their main revenue stream.

- that they packaged it as 'what our devs did for you during corona'. But then distributing it as a timed exclusive, to raise its perceived value as a gift.

Manipulative from start to finish. And for every child this works on, and that feels a need to give back, congratulation, you werent outright evil (free 'gifts' for children (sticker books) are nothing new), but not far off.

I hope the happy drawing of a rabbit makes up for it.

Ok, maybe I layed it on a little bit thick there at the end.. ;) But more than essentially, this is how I feel about it.

It makes it a little better, knowing, that about a third of the economy is working alongside PR and advertising tasks.

It makes it much worse, knowing, that Facebook and Twitter designed their plattforms to give companies "personal appeal". The issues that rose from that alone.... (Companies wanting to look like active users, and went into content production (content marketing), no popular youtuber ever has reached disclosure and critical distance status anywhere close to before when social media marketing payed for their everything. And them being used as faces, that are far more personable to target demographics, that f.e. the 'moviestar' of the past, then demanding that all their testimonials switch to native advertising. (*harder to discern as such')))

Exploiting one to many relationships (which people still have a hard time identifying ('why shouldnt I think of Nintendo as a person'?), has gotten its own catchphrase ('like and subscribe').

'Branding behavior' has become more common place, Influencer is high ranked in top jobs for children.

And we got not much of value in return, as far as I can tell.. ;) Old people sharing videos of their grandchildren for free, maybe.. :) Youtube definitely. ;)

(And dont even get me talking about the effects of politics (campaigning) having embraced it, or centralized nature of Big Data aggregation an usage, or a freaking room of 300 people that clap for the concept of 'we have to teach everyone how to get 1000 facebook friends', then everyone will be happy, and society less likely to cook over. But there I digress... Much... ;) (Same principal though 'personable online persona' advertising as something that it is not.))

Last edited by notimp,

CrAzYLiFe

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thats what I'm saying. :)

Premeditated, on purpose, ... ;) For a money-equivalent return.

I'm pretty tired of defending, why companies should or shouldnt be allowed to give out 'free samples' so customers then feel at least a little obliged to buy the full product (see sampling). Of course they are doing it, because it works.

In this case three aspects are more problematic imho -

- the insane cost benefit ratio (costs them basically nothing for what it nets them in media attention, goodwill, and children feeling like they've recieved something neat and special, for three to ten minutes.. ;) )

- the absolute trop dead stupid nature of the product (half of a burgerking games worth of effort), combined with the feelgood nature for parents - when 'movement games' are absolutely not their main revenue stream.

- that they packaged it as 'what our devs did for you during corona'. But then distributing it as a timed exclusive, to raise its perceived value as a gift.

Manipulative from start to finish. And for every child this works on, and that feels a need to give back, congratulation, you werent outright evil (free 'gifts' for children (sticker books) are nothing new), but not far off.

I hope the happy drawing of a rabbit makes up for it.

Ok, maybe I layed it on a little bit thick there at the end.. ;) But more than essentially, this is how I feel about it.

It makes it a little better, knowing, that about a third of the economy is working alongside PR and advertising tasks.

It makes it much worse, knowing, that Facebook and Twitter designed their plattforms to give companies "personal appeal". The issues that rose from that alone.... (Companies wanting to look like active users, and went into content production (content marketing), no popular youtuber ever has reached disclosure and critical distance status anywhere close to before when social media marketing payed for their everything. And them being uses as faces, that are far more personable to target demographics, that f.e. the 'moviestar' of the past, then demanding that all their testimonials switch to native advertising. (*harder to discern as such')))

Exploiting one to many relationsships (which people still have a hard time identifying ('why shouldnt I think of Nintendo as a person'?), has gotten its own catchphrase ('like and subscribe').

'Branding behavior' has become more common place, Influencer is high ranked in top jobs for children.

And we got not much of value in return, as far as I can tell.. ;) Old people sharing videos of their grandchildren for free, maybe.. :) Youtube definitely. ;)

As a company if it works and legal why not? Your trying to make this out to be something super sinister when it's just how the system works.

If you don't like it don't buy it or download it or get your kids it. You make it out like humans don't have free will (now that's debatable)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went to the doctor today, and I got a couple of month calendars (June and July). I supposed to write down whenever I take a walk. I'm trying to lose 30lbs (at 210 right now). my blood pressure is 116 over 72, and my cholesterol is low.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
As a company if it works and legal why not?
Only moral deliberations. And maybe behavioral concerns (for society a a whole, not for 'poor children', I'm not trying to get the cheap sympathy.. ;) ).

Legally its totally fine. As written before, companies have given away 'free sticker briefs' to children for ages. It urks me though, that this is so much cheaper. ;)

I'm not marching on the streets in protest to make this behavior illegal tomorrow. ;) I just highjack a thread once in a while, and mock, how easily people can be won over by 'free'. ;) ("I think free is a good idea..." ;) )

If you've ever seen Focus Groups trying to argue for something they wanted, or felt irrationally, you get an idea, for why I'm doing this. Just to through a little spanner.. ;) To trigger a little 'wait a minute..'

To spoil the experience, but just for a minute... ;) (None of it has a lasting effect, adbusting ultimately didnt work. Its more a relic of a past time now.. :) )

Last edited by notimp,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I told my doctor about ring fit adventures. I think she was going to buy it, because she has a switch. maybe I'll give this game a go. I've already downloaded.

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@godreborn @MarcusCarter Sorry to bother you two again for a random issue, but I was able to change my taskbar clock to show "Thr, 6/18/2020" through that link you sent me, but now this format shows up for ALL files in file explorer, which I don't want.

I noticed in your screenshot godreborn, that in the date modified column, you still have the short date WITHOUT the day of the week, which is what I want... how would I do this? All I want is the day of the week to show up on the taskbar, but not in the date modified column in file explorer. This has been bugging me for years!

Last edited by HaloEffect17,

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
@godreborn @MarcusCarter Sorry to bother you two again for a random issue, but I was able to change my taskbar clock to show "Thr, 6/18/2020" through that link you sent me, but now this format shows up for ALL files in file explorer, which I don't want.

I noticed in your screenshot godreborn, that in the date modified column, you still have the short date WITHOUT the day of the week, which is what I want... how would I do this? All I want is the day of the week to show up on the taskbar, but not in the date modified column in file explorer. This has been bugging me for years!
Maybe he's using T-Clock Redux? https://github.com/White-Tiger/T-Clock/releases
It allows using the long date on Taskbar.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

upload_2020-6-22_5-38-10.png

Reactions: HaloEffect17

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: im going off now...I'll turn off my brain