Nintendo releases free Nintendo Switch game 'Jump Rope Challenge'

jump1.jpg

If 2020 wasn't surprising enough, Nintendo just came with a surprise announcement: a free Nintendo Switch game. Titled Jump Rope Challenge, Nintendo describes it as a "simple game" that helps you "take an active break in your day by jumping rope". The company explains that it was made by "a few Nintendo developers while working from home in Japan to add quick and fun physical movement into their daily life." It seems that they want to share their creation to the world as many are working remotely and could do with some new take on physical activity.

By using the Joy-Cons as a jumping rope handle, players can keep active with successive jumps and keep the on-screen counter climbing up. It allows you to keep track of your daily progress, as well as set a daily goal to reach. As the game has "challenge" in its title, a friends can also join in the activity with another pair of Joy-Cons and compete for the highest score.

jump3.jpg

jump2.jpg jump4.jpg jump 5.jpg

Will you try Jump Rope Challenge? What's your daily goal?

UPDATE:

According to a Nintendo press release, the company notes that the game is a "limited-time release until the end of September 2020".

:arrow: SOURCE
:download: Jump Rope Challenge eShop link

Last edited by Prans, , Reason: added Nintendo statement

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
The point is to keep people distracted while this pandemic pushes every plan Nintendo had in 2020 to 2021.

Also, you're naive if you think Nintendo's gonna give away Metroid Prime Trilogy for free. At this point, I'd just be grateful for Metroid Prime 4 to play like Metroid Prime 1 and not be something else no one asked for, if it hasn't been cancelled outright already.

The point is that they don't give games for free just now, they do that anyway (they always gave some free games), but point is it's it's always some really useless game, regardless of "pandemic".
As i said, they want to make image of them self as being "good" imo.

And i am not naive, i don't expect per se to give Metroid for free, i was making parallels and saying that instead of giving useless games they can give the game of value hence promoting it and being ACTUALLY good.

zp7D3YPNjeBlt19lBEodqRvLwnyQUkmsmaMllgoH4FO03vrDK31_tDTdNNkN4g5H8d1SPqzFYvA1viom9nh3uIU6lUL5Pf8Ib0EVUbnLMQU4xXQHxC-kfSODv63LT59zDLx6qw

Last edited by MetoMeto,

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The point is that they don't give games for free just now, they do that anyway (they always gave some free games), but point is it's it's always some really useless game, regardless of "pandemic".

And i am not naive, i don't expect per se to give Metroid for free, i was making parallels and saying that instead of giving useless games they can give the game of value hence promoting it and being ACTUALLY good.

zp7D3YPNjeBlt19lBEodqRvLwnyQUkmsmaMllgoH4FO03vrDK31_tDTdNNkN4g5H8d1SPqzFYvA1viom9nh3uIU6lUL5Pf8Ib0EVUbnLMQU4xXQHxC-kfSODv63LT59zDLx6qw
Super Kirby Clash is a decent free one.

Reactions: MetoMeto

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
well, didn't sony give the last of us and journey away for free due to the pandemic?
Now that's something.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Super Kirby Clash is a decent free one.
Fair enough...good start, but i want to see more.
Company of their size can be more generous and less greedy imo.

They actually gave "Metroid: Fusion" and "METROID: Zero mission" for Ambassador 3DS consoles, which imo is super stupid....Ambassador what?!?! Most people never heard of ambassador program lol.
Put them on all your consoles you greedy bastards for fucks sake!

Last edited by MetoMeto,

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that's something.

Fair enough...good start, but i want to see more.
Company of their size can be more generous and less greedy imo.

They actually gave "Metroid: Fusion" and "METROID: Zero mission" for Ambassador 3DS consoles, which imo is super stupid....Ambassador what?!?! Most people never heard of ambassador program lol.
Put them on all your consoles you greedy bastards for fucks sake!

Or, to sum up everything you said, you want something for nothing. As if you totally don't have the games in one form or another already. Who said that you have to play the Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Switch, anyways? You could play it on the Wii, the WiiaBU, play the first two games on the GC and then the current finale on the Wii, etc..

But then again, you're calling companies greedy bastards like every other NPC online nowadays that doesn't understand that, shock of all shocks, most businesses are for-profit, and that they'd rather be making money right now as opposed to bleeding it due to a virus that I have to say, I have yet to get. Maybe I'm asymptomatic, but seeing as it seems like every other day I get a text notification on my phone from my workplace about someone who had COVID-19 from my current job, and that I used to work at Walmart for most of the pandemic from February to May, you'd think I'd have caught a whiff and that I'd be close to biting the dust right by now.

If you were the CEO of Nintendo, you'd be using your influence to do everything you accuse the elites of. Deny it all you want, but you're not as good as you seem to think of yourself.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well you have to admit nintendo does sue a lot. I can understand roms but fanmade games? those are usually met with a cease and desist orders. point being, nintendo takes themselves much too seriously and this is coming from a fanboy of the company. kinda ironic considering their games are tailored towards everyone including kids.

Reactions: MetoMeto

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Or, to sum up everything you said, you want something for nothing. As if you totally don't have the games in one form or another already. Who said that you have to play the Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Switch, anyways? You could play it on the Wii, the WiiaBU, play the first two games on the GC and then the current finale on the Wii, etc..

But then again, you're calling companies greedy bastards like every other NPC online nowadays that doesn't understand that, shock of all shocks, most businesses are for-profit, and that they'd rather be making money right now as opposed to bleeding it due to a virus that I have to say, I have yet to get. Maybe I'm asymptomatic, but seeing as it seems like every other day I get a text notification on my phone from my workplace about someone who had COVID-19 from my current job, and that I used to work at Walmart for most of the pandemic from February to May, you'd think I'd have caught a whiff and that I'd be close to biting the dust right by now.

If you were the CEO of Nintendo, you'd be using your influence to do everything you accuse the elites of. Deny it all you want, but you're not as good as you seem to think of yourself.
That's not what i actually meant. Never mind.

And you don't need to summarize for me.
Enjoy Nintendo shitty free games and their covid19 charity!

Last edited by MetoMeto,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos

Ah.., someone got it. :)

If the debate becomes "but some employees at Nintendo Japan 'wanted to do a motivational game' for customers" out of the goodness of their hearts - it would never have been greenlit to do it on company time - if it wasnt seen as a promotional vehicle, or a group building exercise.

It would have never been distributed as 'by Nintendo' over their web shop, if it wasnt seen as 'of promotional value'.

And if the devs did it in their free time, thats an employment contract issue if anything. And why should we now be greatfull, that they use something Bob Inafune (most generic japanese sounding name I could think of ;) ) made for PR?

(Oh company, thank you for disowning your employees, buy owning all their work - even the one you didn't pay for..?)

The first and last mistake you'll ever make in here is feeling, or acting, as if Nintendo was a person. Thats what they (marketing) want you to do. Thats what every freaking companies social media presence currently is set out to do. Your friends are on there as well, so are other people, which must mean that company is person...

Wrong. Logical fallacy. A (for profit) company is not a person. Personal feelings like "wanting to give back, for a gift you received" are entirely constructed, and completely abnormal. (Remember in movies, an employee would get a gold plated watch, when he worked at a company for 50 years? Try guessing why. (And what that did to other employees).)

And the difference is so small here.. If an independent developer would have done the same thing here - entirely different story. All your personal feelings towards that person, even if you dont know them - entirely rectified, entirely valid. Even if they try to drum up business, so you buy their next game.

As soon as you are dealing with a company - not so. You have been manipulated. The decision structures are entirely different, they adhere to entirely different logic, and different laws, they are not people. :)

There is no chance, they will ever do you a favor 'if you need one', or because you did them a favor before. But they are playing with those social cues. :)

Advanced lessons. CDPR gives away 'free DLC for their games' - how does that fit in into the scheme of things? ;) What makes this a 'gift' exactly? You are paying for the product, knowing that you will get the DLC for free, right? ;)

So why are they doing it?

Last edited by notimp,

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
you mean go outside!? I'm sorry, but that's something I can't, I won't, do. I'll die for nintendo first.
you don't have to, if ur living room/balcony/private garden is big enough :)

That is actually much better game!
YEP a jump rope (HW) costs only 3-5€ no need of battery, meanwhile a Switch costs 270-290€ and need a charger, TV and electricity to work, the 1st one is a far superior choice. :teach:

Last edited by leon315,
Reactions: godreborn

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
you don't have to, if ur living room/balcony/private garden is big enough :)

YEP a jump rope (HW) costs only 3-5€ no need of battery, meanwhile a Switch costs 270-290€ and need a charger, TV and electricity to work, the 1st one is a far superior choice. :teach:
That's some twisted logic you got there.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That is actually much better game!
YEP a jump rope (HW) costs only 3-5€ no need of battery, meanwhile a Switch costs 270-290€ and need a charger, TV and electricity to work, the 1st one is a far superior choice.
That's some twisted logic you got there.
you mean convenient choice? do you know to produce electricity u also produce CO2? the rope one is superior, convenient, and more eco-friendlily!

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Ah.., someone got it. :)

If the debate becomes "but some employees at Nintendo Japan 'wanted to do a motivational game' for customers" out of the goodness of their hearts - it would never have been greenlit to do it on company time - if it wasnt seen as a promotional vehicle, or a group building exercise.

It would have never been distributed as 'by Nintendo' over their web shop, if it wasnt seen as 'of promotional value'.

And if the devs did it in their free time, thats an employment contract issue if anything. And why should we now be greatfull, that they use something Bob Inafune (most generic japanese sounding name I could think of ;) ) made for PR?

(Oh company, thank you for disowning your employees, buy owning all their work - even the one you didn't pay for..?)

The first and last mistake you'll ever make in here is feeling, or acting, as if Nintendo was a person. Thats what they (marketing) want you to do. Thats what every freaking companies social media presence currently is set out to do. Your friends are on there as well, so are other people, which must mean that company is person...

Wrong. Logical fallacy. A (for profit) company is not a person. Personal feelings like "wanting to give back, for a gift you received" are entirely constructed, and completely abnormal. (Remember in movies, an employee would get a gold plated watch, when he worked at a company for 50 years? Try guessing why. (And what that did to other employees).)

And the difference is so small here.. If an independent developer would have done the same thing here - entirely different story. All your personal feelings towards that person, even if you dont know them - entirely rectified, entirely valid. Even if they try to drum up business, so you buy their next game.

As soon as you are dealing with a company - not so. You have been manipulated. The decision structures are entirely different, they adhere to entirely different logic, and different laws, they are not people. :)

There is no chance, they will ever do you a favor 'if you need one', or because you did them a favor before. But they are playing with those social cues. :)

Advanced lessons. CDPR gives away 'free DLC for their games' - how does that fit in into the scheme of things? ;) What makes this a 'gift' exactly? You are paying for the product, knowing that you will get the DLC for free, right? ;)

So why are they doing it?
You also need to look at it at the smaller scale, because at the end, it's al about fitting all that corporate logic to work in real world, with real people , cause at the end, they are the ones that make that company as big as it is today.
And if people aren't happy they wouldn't make excuses for Nintnedo, they will simply...well...stop buying or supporting.

YEP a jump rope (HW) costs only 3-5€ no need of battery, meanwhile a Switch costs 270-290€ and need a charger, TV and electricity to work, the 1st one is a far superior choice.

you mean convenient choice? do you know to produce electricity u also produce CO2? the rope one is superior, convenient, and more eco-friendlily!
Again, twisting of a logic and missing the point, changing the subject to fit your narrative.
But again...what you said by it self....yeah its true... if that means anything though

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
You also need to look at it at the smaller scale, because at the end, it's al about fitting all that corporate logic to work in real world, with real people , cause at the end, they are the ones that make that company as big as it is today.
And if people aren't happy they wouldn't make excuses for Nintnedo, they will simply...well...stop buying or supporting.
Not at all true. In my experience. Sadly. ;) I've looked into it.

There is a drive towards more 'bullshit jobs' I first came across (using that term) with Blackrock urging their investors to drive management into providing them (usually coined under C(orporate)S(ocial)R(esponsibility)), as well as the lasting trend for f.e. conferences like the WEF to have entire segments that are dedicated towards virtue signaling. (That serve entirely no purpose other than, f.e. for Microsoft to look good, because they have a database, where children are supposed to fill in their 'climate ideas'. That actually was a thing at the last one.. ;) ).

None of them are what they pretend to be. :) (Inspiring, encouraging, ... ;) )

First the short version, then the longer one. ;)

Short version is: They are there for 'social cohesion' they are currently being pushed because many future development trends point at fewer people being needed in the workforce (New Zealand prime minister just teased the 4 day week. :)). Companies would look like absolute assholes, even in todays market, if they only employed "needed personal".

As a result they also produce what are coined bullshit jobs, which are close to minimum wage, that already close to a third of the labor market traffics in.

Longer version: This is sold to people as "millenials want a company to also have a 'social side'" which is an absolute fallacy, because - basically 'boycott' activism and online activism never worked. They didn't work, because it was so damn easy to deal with them. :) In the end it factors out to, all you ever needed to do is give the impression that you were engaged in 'social responsible behavior' as a company, and the consumer had no way that worked, to figure out what that meant, or how to compare efforts. In addition, when going on an average purchase spree, those desires are saturated by buying 2-3 of that category of products. So it is not something that the majority of companies would even have to aim for, from a marketing stand point.

Basically, the actual cost for you to have that image, is much lower, than the cost for even the bullshit jobs that are provided. So bullshit jobs actually are a concession towards politics to keep societies stable, not towards millennials to have better feels while shopping. ;)

Once in a crisis like the current Corona one, many of the bullshit jobs fell by the wayside, because they were in no way essential for production, and customers didn't even notice so far... ;)

I actually researched around five 'Corperate social responsibility' outfits for bigger brands, while I was in college, so I'm pretty sure, that this was, and still is the case. :) Its not mainstream economic school of thought though. So on this one I'm kind of 'out there'. ;) But everything I saw indicates, that this is the case. :)

edit: More importantly though on topic:

If in this case it was an effort of a 'social' initiative within the company, which still could be possible, or if you enjoy the free game, please, by all means, enjoy the product - just at the very moment when you start to feel good about Nintendo, because that one time, they did something nice for you -- immediately think, that this is designed, and never do anything because of a feeling of you wanting to give back.

They arent people. They are a for profit company. They have an entire department that produces their public image, they arent the treehouse you want to see them as.. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

CrAzYLiFe

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not at all true. In my experience. Sadly. ;) I've looked into it.

There is a drive towards more 'bullshit jobs' I first came across (using that term) with Blackrock urging their investors to drive management into providing (usually coined under C(orporate)S(ocial)R(esponsibility), as well as the lasting trend for f.e. conferences like the WEF to have entire segments that are dedicated towards virtue signaling. (That serve entirely no purpose other than, f.e. for Microsoft to look good, because they have a database, where children are supposed to fill in their 'climate ideas'. That actually was a thing at the last one.. ;) ).

None of them are what they pretend to be. :) (Inspiring, encouraging, ... ;) )

First the short version, then the longer one. ;)

Short version is: They are there for 'social cohesion' they are currently being pushed because many future development trends point at fewer people being needed in the workforce (New Zealand prime minister just teased the 4 day week. :)). Companies would look like absolute assholes, even in todays market, if they only employed "needed personal".

As a result they also produce what are coined bullshit jobs, which are close to minimum wage, that already close to a third of the labor market traffics in.

Longer version: This is sold to people as "millenials want a company to also have a 'social side'" which is an absolute fallacy, because - basically 'boycott' activism and online activism never worked. They didn't work, because it was so damn easy to deal with them. :) In the end it factors out to, all you ever needed to do is give the impression that you were engaged in 'social responsible behavior' as a company, and the consumer had no way that worked, to figure out what that meant, or how to compare efforts. In addition, when going on an average purchase spree, those desires are saturated by buying 2-3 of that category of products. So it is not something that the majority of companies would even have to aim for, from a marketing stand point.

Basically, the actual cost for you to have that image, is much lower, than the cost for even the bullshit jobs that are provided. So bullshit jobs actually are a concession towards politics to keep societies stable, not towards millennials to have better feels while shopping. ;)

Once in a crisis like the current Corona one, many of the bullshit jobs fell by the wayside, because they were in no way essential for production, and customers didn't even notice so far... ;)

I actually researched around five 'Corperate social responsibility' outfits for bigger brands, while I was in college, so I'm pretty sure, that this was, and still is the case. :) Its not mainstream economic school of thought though. So on this one I'm kind of 'out there'. ;) But everything I saw indicates, that this is the case. :)

edit: More importantly though on topic:

If in this case it was an effort of a 'social' initiative within the company, which still could be possible, or if you enjoy the free game, please, by all means, enjoy the product - just a the very moment when you start to feel good about Nintendo, because that one time, they did something nice for you -- immediately think, that this is desined, and never do anything because of a feeling of you wanting to give back.

They arent people. They are a for profit company. They have an entire department that produces their public image, they arent the treehouse you see them as.. ;)

Well no shit Sherlock, a company wanting to make them selves look good isn't that just normal human behaviour? and the idea of why they give out something for free, they don't even need to do that and if they can get away with it being a low cost throwaway why not.

No one is forcing you to download it or play it, it's for free either give it ago or ignore it. There is no big ominous conspiracy here pal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup