Nintendo releases free Nintendo Switch game 'Jump Rope Challenge'

jump1.jpg

If 2020 wasn't surprising enough, Nintendo just came with a surprise announcement: a free Nintendo Switch game. Titled Jump Rope Challenge, Nintendo describes it as a "simple game" that helps you "take an active break in your day by jumping rope". The company explains that it was made by "a few Nintendo developers while working from home in Japan to add quick and fun physical movement into their daily life." It seems that they want to share their creation to the world as many are working remotely and could do with some new take on physical activity.

By using the Joy-Cons as a jumping rope handle, players can keep active with successive jumps and keep the on-screen counter climbing up. It allows you to keep track of your daily progress, as well as set a daily goal to reach. As the game has "challenge" in its title, a friends can also join in the activity with another pair of Joy-Cons and compete for the highest score.

jump3.jpg

jump2.jpg jump4.jpg jump 5.jpg

Will you try Jump Rope Challenge? What's your daily goal?

UPDATE:

According to a Nintendo press release, the company notes that the game is a "limited-time release until the end of September 2020".

:arrow: SOURCE
:download: Jump Rope Challenge eShop link

Last edited by Prans, , Reason: added Nintendo statement

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When did GBATemp get so woke? What are all these people doing here instead of solving all the problems they claim to be experts on?

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doom on switch is roughly 20 gb and 80 on pc, last time i had fortnite on pc it was like 12 gb (probably bigger now), so if scalling were to be perfect, full game must be like 3 gb on switch (probably isn't)

i had forgoten about gold points lol, but weren't they only for discounts? correct me if im wrong
nah, you can use them entirely. 1 gold point = 1 cent.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You also need to look at it at the smaller scale, because at the end, it's al about fitting all that corporate logic to work in real world, with real people , cause at the end, they are the ones that make that company as big as it is today.
And if people aren't happy they wouldn't make excuses for Nintnedo, they will simply...well...stop buying or supporting.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Again, twisting of a logic and missing the point, changing the subject to fit your narrative.
But again...what you said by it self....yeah its true... if that means anything though
Sir, I found this thing called "humour" on the ground, is it urs?

Reactions: Hambrew

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When did GBATemp get so woke? What are all these people doing here instead of solving all the problems they claim to be experts on?
That one dude literally told me to shut my trap because I called it a simple jump rope game and nothing more. Nintendo has a bunch of free games out on the console, and the one before this was a limited version of Clubhouse Classics. Sure it drives sales, but it isn't a super woke conspiracy being uncovered.

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Not at all true. In my experience. Sadly. ;) I've looked into it.

There is a drive towards more 'bullshit jobs' I first came across (using that term) with Blackrock urging their investors to drive management into providing them (usually coined under C(orporate)S(ocial)R(esponsibility)), as well as the lasting trend for f.e. conferences like the WEF to have entire segments that are dedicated towards virtue signaling. (That serve entirely no purpose other than, f.e. for Microsoft to look good, because they have a database, where children are supposed to fill in their 'climate ideas'. That actually was a thing at the last one.. ;) ).

None of them are what they pretend to be. :) (Inspiring, encouraging, ... ;) )

First the short version, then the longer one. ;)

Short version is: They are there for 'social cohesion' they are currently being pushed because many future development trends point at fewer people being needed in the workforce (New Zealand prime minister just teased the 4 day week. :)). Companies would look like absolute assholes, even in todays market, if they only employed "needed personal".

As a result they also produce what are coined bullshit jobs, which are close to minimum wage, that already close to a third of the labor market traffics in.

Longer version: This is sold to people as "millenials want a company to also have a 'social side'" which is an absolute fallacy, because - basically 'boycott' activism and online activism never worked. They didn't work, because it was so damn easy to deal with them. :) In the end it factors out to, all you ever needed to do is give the impression that you were engaged in 'social responsible behavior' as a company, and the consumer had no way that worked, to figure out what that meant, or how to compare efforts. In addition, when going on an average purchase spree, those desires are saturated by buying 2-3 of that category of products. So it is not something that the majority of companies would even have to aim for, from a marketing stand point.

Basically, the actual cost for you to have that image, is much lower, than the cost for even the bullshit jobs that are provided. So bullshit jobs actually are a concession towards politics to keep societies stable, not towards millennials to have better feels while shopping. ;)

Once in a crisis like the current Corona one, many of the bullshit jobs fell by the wayside, because they were in no way essential for production, and customers didn't even notice so far... ;)

I actually researched around five 'Corperate social responsibility' outfits for bigger brands, while I was in college, so I'm pretty sure, that this was, and still is the case. :) Its not mainstream economic school of thought though. So on this one I'm kind of 'out there'. ;) But everything I saw indicates, that this is the case. :)

edit: More importantly though on topic:

If in this case it was an effort of a 'social' initiative within the company, which still could be possible, or if you enjoy the free game, please, by all means, enjoy the product - just at the very moment when you start to feel good about Nintendo, because that one time, they did something nice for you -- immediately think, that this is designed, and never do anything because of a feeling of you wanting to give back.

They arent people. They are a for profit company. They have an entire department that produces their public image, they arent the treehouse you want to see them as.. ;)
I know i will stop buying game that i dislike, its really that simple. I love metro id but i cant stand federation force, and i will never actually buy it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This doesn't seem like the usual quality you get from Nintendo. I guess that's what you get when Japanese employees who are not used to working from home because it goes against their work ethics and culture are forced to, they just can't do as good of a job. Looks like some cheap ad supported or $1 game pumped out in a day or two on the Play Store. But I guess that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable. It looks cute and all, just looks like something a little kid would draw.

Worldblender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
post updated with Nintendo's press release statement that the game "is now available for free on Nintendo eShop as a limited-time release until the end of September 2020."
Well, that dampens my hopes of holding onto this game indefinitely, unless I use CFW. So much like Apple's IOS, the Microsoft store, or stock Android ROMs with Google Apps: they often either don't let me download apps or even view their catalog without an account. :sad: This is one of the reasons I prefer using the package managers of Linux and other Unix-like OSes.

Last edited by Worldblender,

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Now if only it was the GC iteration, allowed everyone to play on one screen, and had everything from there plus everything from the subsequent games...

Would be really cool if you could link up a 3DS and use that as a controller for party modes. Imagine all the crazy stuff you could do with that.

4 Swords HD

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not what i actually meant. Never mind.

And you don't need to summarize for me.
Enjoy Nintendo shitty free games and their covid19 charity!

Ah, the damage control. Just like what Biden is up to with everything he's clearly funding after making another comment that demonstrates how out of touch with reality he is!

And you're telling me to enjoy free games...on a forum that distributes tools and discusses hacking consoles in ways that, yeah, they SAY you're not supposed to use it for piracy reasons...but anyone who can type in clear English and isn't clearly a troll knows how to read between the lines. ;)

D

Deleted User

The point is to keep people distracted while this pandemic pushes every plan Nintendo had in 2020 to 2021.

Also, you're naive if you think Nintendo's gonna give away Metroid Prime Trilogy for free. At this point, I'd just be grateful for Metroid Prime 4 to play like Metroid Prime 1 and not be something else no one asked for, if it hasn't been cancelled outright already.
being fair, way bigger games have been given away for free on steam, company of heroes 2, tomb raider reboot, pac-man championship, a story about my uncle, all games i got for literally free, if i recall correctly, valve at one point gave away portal and half life, payday 2 i believe as well, if i count humble bundle, manual samuel, snake pass and grid 2 were also free
nah, you can use them entirely. 1 gold point = 1 cent.
oh, nice, i think the discount only thing was for the 3ds then

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
being fair, way bigger games have been given away for free on steam, company of heroes 2, tomb raider reboot, pac-man championship, a story about my uncle, all games i got for literally free, if i recall correctly, valve at one point gave away portal and half life, payday 2 i believe as well, if i count humble bundle, manual samuel, snake pass and grid 2 were also free

That's Valve, the one company so outside of the usual system of investors due to it being financially independent that it can afford to do that.

I mean, if Nintendo starts handing out Metroid Prime Trilogy for free, then what's next? Free Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze? Free Super Mario 3D World?

You don't defeat the CHAZ mob by kowtowing to it. You defeat it by actually, you know, destroying its ringleaders, cutting off funding, making arrests, you know, enforce law and order...which those states are failing to do, which isn't gonna help their numbers when everyone is posting their residence up for sale!

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ya, the gold coins can only act as cash on the switch. on wii u and 3ds it's only discounts you can get sometimes

Reactions: Deleted User

Sundree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried the game out, only to realize just how out of unhealthy and out of shape I really am. No, seriously. I felt like my calves were about to explode after 100 jumps.

Reactions: velgis

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Well no shit Sherlock, a company wanting to make them selves look good isn't that just normal human behaviour?
First - again, a company isnt human. ;)
Second - the idea here is to use 'human social cues' like 'gifting' to get you into liking the company more.

BUT.

The emotion that is aimed to be triggered is 'that person has done something for me, I owe them/hold them in good graces' - this is a response thats hardcoded in human social behavior ("giving back").

Its hardcoded in social behavior, because we sometimes need favors and to make that work, we give back. We also like to be friendly (eventually maybe making friends), and therefore we also give back.

BUT.

We never can 'pull favors' from companies, they arent human, they work differently - so the entire 'being on good graces response' towards them is wrong. Our response seems natural 'oh they have done something for me, I better hold them in good graces' but they are pulling a fraud.

Based on our social and emotional responses.

1. Their expenses are the advertising costs for a month, and this scales to millions and millions of people, who now have at least a slight urge to "give back" installed.

2. Your entire processing is still on the level of 'Nintendo has done you something good' meaning, you are judging this on this 'favor for favor' social system. But you never can pull a favor from them. So the emotional need to return a favor to them is - wrong.

3. Their marketing departments are pulling this trigger actively, intentionally, and in the expectation to get something back. Just know that. :) And they are doing that in the most exploitative fashion possible, by basically spending, lets say 3000 USD, and reaching millions and millions of people, instilling 'giving back' responses. Or 'being on good graces' responses.

"Isn't that just normal social behavior?" is exactly the problem. :) They are conning you.

When a gift is so entirely 'useless' (clicker game), its easiest to point that out. :)

At the same time, they are making it a 'timed exclusive' to raise the perceived 'value' of the gift. ("Uh, I can miss it!?")

Its all a ruse. ;) For a purpose. Exploiting human social behavior. (It costs them nothing more if 1 person downloads the gift or 20 million, they arent doing you a favor, and you shouldnt perceive them emotionally as 'human', because in all their decision and behavior patterns, they distinctly are not. The are something different. They are a company. :) )

Last edited by notimp,

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First - again, a company isnt human. ;)
Second - the idea here is to use 'human social cues' like 'gifting' to get you into liking the company more.

BUT.

The emotion that is aimed to be triggered is 'that person has done something for me, I owe them/hold them in good graces' - this is a response thats hardcoded in human social behavior ("giving back").

Its hardcoded in social behavior, because we sometimes need favors and to make that work, we give back. We also like to be friendly (eventually maybe making friends), and therefore we also give back.

BUT.

We never can 'pull favors' from companies, they arent human, they work differently - so the entire 'being on good graces response' towards them is wrong. Our response seems natural 'oh they have done something for me, I better hold them in good graces' but they are pulling a fraud.

Based on our social and emotional responses.

1. Their expenses are the advertising costs for a month, and this scales to millions and millions of people, who now have at least a slight urge to "give back" installed.

2. Your entire processing is still on the level of 'Nintendo has done you something good' meaning, you are judging this on this 'favor for favor' social system. But you never can pull a favor from them. So the emotional need to return a favor to them is - wrong.

3. Their marketing departments are pulling this trigger actively, intentionally, and in the expectation to get something back. Just know that. :) And they are doing that in the most exploitative fashion possible, by basically spending, lets say 3000 USD, and reaching millions and millions of people, instilling 'giving back' responses. Or 'being on good graces' responses.

"Isn't that just normal social behavior?" is exactly the problem. :) They are conning you.

When a gift is so entirely 'useless' (clicker game), its easiest to point that out. :)

At the same time, they are making it a 'timed exclusive' to raise the perceived 'value' of the gift. ("Uh, I can miss it!?")

Its all a ruse. ;) For a purpose. Exploiting human social behavior. (It costs them nothing more if 1 person downloads the gift or 20 million, they arent doing you a favor, and you shouldnt perceive them emotionally as 'human', because in all their decision and behavior patterns, they distinctly are not. The are something different. They are a company. :) )
It isn't a con, you're just looking too much into it. Demos, trial versions, etc aren't brainwashing materials. It's to drive sales sure, but this game definitely does not exist for that reason alone because it's such a basic project.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu