Nintendo Releases 2GB Nintendo-Branded SD Memory Card

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by manaphy4ever, Feb 27, 2009.

1. manaphy4ever
    OP

manaphy4ever GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2008
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Bahrain
    [​IMG]

Since 2006, Nintendo has been offering a 512MB SD Memory Card for the Nintendo Wii. That was years ago. It's time for a bigger DS Memory Card from Nintendo. The 2GB Memory Card will be out the middle of this March in Japan. Pricing is listed as "open." So if you are one of those who only wants first party Nintendo goods, this one's for you.

source:http://kotaku.com/5161338/nintendo-releases-2gb-nintendo+branded-sd-memory-card

2. JDMEVOIXMR

JDMEVOIXMR GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    Stupid, they released a 2GB for the Wii 2 years ago as well. Only n00bs buy those Nintendo branded cards for Wii. What Nintendo needs to introduce is SDHC support for the Wii and DSi.

3. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
  4. shadow1w2

shadow1w2 Still here.

Mar 16, 2004
    United States
    CA
    SDHC is already supported by homebrew, so they have no excuse.

Just need that and a hard drive and the Wii could start kicking some real ass for once.

I mean, its not like hackers are gonna do much with it anyway. We are already getting the features we want on our own.
    Besides, it would require a system menu update.

Though then again, games might have trouble reading SDHC.
    Though update an IOS and they should act accordingly right?

Ya, no excuses. Nintendo is just lazy.

5. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    You don't need a first party SD card, that's just silly.

Besides, I've already seen branded Nintendo SD cards at 1 and 2gb, in PC World UK.

6. XRacer101

XRacer101 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    They need to include SDHC support. Nintendo! Wake up! This isn't 2000! Also, who would buy a Nintendo-Branded SD Card when you could get SD, even SDHC cards for way cheaper.

7. Lily

Lily One Scary Lady

Former Staff
    Jun 18, 2004
    Canada
    British Columbia
    I don't care about what sized card they offer, SD, SDHC, doesn't matter.

What does matter is that they allow the Wii to read virtual console and wiiware games direct from SD. Until that happens, I don't care how big of an SD card the Wii supports, because size is useless without functionality.

8. hellohey

hellohey GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2008
    Canada
  9. m3rox

m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 13, 2006
    United States
    WA
    They might be good for someone who collects Nintendo products.

10. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    Best Buy has 2GB SD cards in the Wii section that say "Wii" on them. It's marketting folks, some less informed people will buy them and pay the huge premium because it's an official Nintendo product. This is a money grabbing scheme, not some elaborate release plan.

Also Nintendo wouldn't support a SDHC card... don't games like Animal Crossing and Smash Bros. Brawl not support SDHC? We've proven that it can work with the hardware, but Nintendo is not goingto go back and make a patch for Excite Truck etc.

11. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    well they are trying to develop their market with new goods but comon nintendo do something more special

12. imz

imz GBAtemp's vigilante

Nov 6, 2007
    Gotham city
    What kind of world do we live in, where you can pay less and get more, and pay more and get less. I'm referring of course to flashcarts, which are generally cheaper and give you more functionality options, and the Nintendo SD card, which costs more yet you cannot do all of the things that you can do on a flashcart.

Oh well, Pirates rule! [​IMG]

13. Psyfira

Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

Dec 31, 2003
    England
    They'd be daft not to. Joe buys a DS, want a memory card with that? As people who are used to computers we forget that some people have absolutely no idea when it comes to memory cards, and with so many types, shapes and sizes out there the market is just plain confusing if you don't know what you're looking for. And many can't be bothered with the hassle of sorting it all out. It's a shame that they'll probably take advantage by slapping on a nasty price tag, but it makes perfect sense.

14. da_head

da_head A dying dream..

Apr 7, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canader!
    to bad they don't make micro sd. i would have gotten one just to put into my r4 xD

15. x-mah-D

x-mah-D Banned

Banned
    Feb 19, 2009
    Heh.

My local super market sells 4gb sd's at AU 34$
    Thats gay...

16. playallday

playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

May 23, 2008
    Canada
    [@N@[)@
    I got a 2GB MicroSD card for $4CA with shipping and tax. Good luck beating that Nintendo!