Nintendo Refurb. 3DS XL Firmwares?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by drfsupercenter, Jun 21, 2015.

1. drfsupercenter
    OP

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Anyone bought one of these recently? Do you know if they've updated them beyond 9.2?

I know the ones you can buy new in stores won't be, but since they're refurbs I'm not sure what would happen.

I just bought a new one that arrived with a slightly banged up screen (dead pixels and such) so I was thinking of just paying the 10 bucks to get an advance-replacement rather than trying to convince someone at Walmart that there's a problem with it.

But if it's likely to be on too new a firmware, I won't waste my time.

2. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    You don't have to do much to convince Walmart to change out your hardware. If you tell them it's defective, they aren't going to make you pull it out, turn it on, and show them exactly what is wrong. It's faster and easier for them just to do a replacement, send off the old one to Nintendo to be refurbed and have their stock replenished by a new fully working unit.

mech and zoogie like this.
  3. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Dead pixels are a non-starter for me. It would go back to the store regardless if I was in your position.

And as for refurb firmware, its hard to tell, but it's less than the certain 100% 9.2 of a new system.

4. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Well, I remember buying a 3DS at Target and having it be defective, and when I went to exchange it they actually called over someone in electronics and made them verify the problem before they'd let me swap it out.

But if Walmart doesn't care, then I suppose I can try it. Now to find which Walmarts near me have black XLs left...

5. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Walmart's return policy is probably as lax as return policies get. You shouldn't have an issue getting a replacement.

zoogie likes this.
  6. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    OK. Well, their website only shows "assorted colors" and that all stores near me have them available "today".

I suppose I can just drive over there and see what colors they actually have. Would be nice if I could view specific colors, though. I ordered this black one online

7. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Just curious, what firmware did your defective system come with?

8. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    6.2, I mentioned it in the other thread

9. foolalay

foolalay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2015
    United States
    I don't think you could buy an exploitable 3ds directly from Nintendo. Updating is probably part of the refurbishing process.

Walmart will even exchange stuff you didn't buy from them if you say it was a gift, it should be an easy process with an actual receipt.

10. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    LOL, that sounds amusing.

But yeah, I can print off the receipt, I bought it from walmart.com but they let you print those "easy returns" receipts.

I guess I can try going that route then. Just thought it would be easier to go through Nintendo.

11. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    Don't go through Nintendo, isn't worth the risk.

zoogie likes this.
  12. MRJPGames

MRJPGames Pretty great guy

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Ninty will update 9.3 or higher, it's not like they don't know this stuff is possible, and they won't give people exploitable hardware.

13. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    I got it exchanged locally.

Still curious if anyone has gotten one of those lately, what firmware it has.

14. MRJPGames

MRJPGames Pretty great guy

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    I assume you got a 9.2 or lower from the local exchange?

15. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Yes.