Nintendo questions traditional five-year console

TGBoy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said in a recent quarterly meeting that his company may no longer follow the traditional five-year console lifecycle when releasing a Wii successor.
"We are always preparing for new hardware so that we can launch whenever we determine we should do so," Iwata said by way of Ausse-Nintendo.

"However, scheduling for a rather fixed launch date 4 years from today, regardless of future changes in the industry and the market, appears to be too inflexible an approach to us."

Both Nintendo and Microsoft have followed a four to five year release cycle in recent years when launching new consoles. Sony, however, has been able to buck that trend with its previous PS1 and PS2 machines, both of which endured at least seven years in popularity.

"We are always studying and working on what the new hardware must become in the future, but we are also monitoring changes in circumstances in order to act flexibly," Iwata added.

Regarding a DS successor, Iwata said, "We are not suffering from a shortage of new ideas for DS." Translation: Don't expect DS 2 for a while.

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think they are saying that we wont see a new nintendo system in 4 years and that they are going to try and keep the wii alive longer.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wouldn't mind a new DS.

The original is awesome but a little bit more graphics power would pwn. Developers might actually spend more time making games too?

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
why would they do the opposite?
They plan on keeping the DS around for a long time, and the Wii has almost the exact same situation.
The only thing hinting that nintendo might drop the Wii soon is the spin the gamepro writer put on the interview

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Being the president of the company means he has to remain ambiguous to a large degree is order not to spoil anything, but he does in a way imply that (possibly following in the footsteps of the "PS1 and PS2 machines, both of which endured at least seven years in popularity") they do not plan to introduce anything new on a large scale for now.

I don't see why they should right now, the DS and Wii are incredibly popular.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I certainly hope the Wii isn't around for 5+ years. No offense intended, as I love my Wii, but it looks visually dated by today's standards. In 5+ years it will burn our eyes in comparison to the competition. Don't get me wrong, I'm no "graphics whore", but 3D games have a habit of aging badly.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know, more graphics power seems to make people want to make more realistic looking games.

Now, I'm all for realism, but there's a definite limit to that.

I know some people complain about the "kiddy" graphics on Nintendo consoles as of late, but...could you imagine any of those games done in a super realistic style?

The day all gaming is done in a realistic style visually is the day gaming dies for me. I wouldn't be able to stand not being able to tell the difference between different games because they'll literally all look the same.
Unless VR becomes feasible around the same time. The experience would definitely beat everything looking the same...at least for a while.

And honestly, how much more graphical power do you need to render something like Kirby? We all saw the Smash Brothers Brawl teaser.

Now, if developers decided to use the extra power to increase the amount of things on screen and increase the expansiveness of worlds and reduce/cut out load times? I'd be all for that. Sadly, most don't roll that way.

------------------------------

Erm, to get on topic, extending the Wii's lifespan can only mean good things. The PSX and PS2 all started excelling near the end of their longer lifespan. If the same happens to the Wii then it might mean tighter controls and better looking games.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
^^^^What if developers just make games without octogon eye?
octogoneye.jpg

Rather than new consoles, they could consider expansion to previous ones.
That worked out great for Sega, right?
Oh wait, no it didn't.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Zarcon - I generally agree with your comment.

The industry seems to lean this way, but honestly i don't think we're seeing a decline in "unrealistic" graphics at all. I like how DS has even encouraged it with it's limited graphics potential.

Now, if developers decided to use the extra power to increase the amount of things on screen and increase the expansiveness of worlds and reduce/cut out load times? I'd be all for that. Sadly, most don't roll that way.

yeah, it's kinda sad. i love pick up and play games, but i don't feel like i have experienced any "epic" games in a while.

Jaejae

Superfly Don't Used
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
3d graphics do tend to have a nasty habit of looking fucking ugly quickly, I remember Final Fantasy VII looking awesome, but when I play it now, it saddens me.
2d graphics however age brilliantly, due to the nostalgic feel, IMO Final Fantasy VI is still beautiful.

PS: I will rape/maim/murder anyone who thinks FFVI isn't pretty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: