Nintendo promises 'very creative ideas' for Vitality Sensor

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Link5084, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Link5084
    OP

Member Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

United States
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/04/nintend...ity-sensor-dec/

The kids at the Mercury-News have just had a sit-down with our old pal Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo's legendary head of game development, for a chat about the recession, game controllers, and trust. The company's plan for dealing with the ebbs and flows of the international economy is simple: "We're really just concentrating on creating something that people want... something the whole family will use." Does that include the admittedly silly Vitality Sensor? Of course: "[A]ny sort of changes to interface that allows people to get into games and enjoy games is a great trend." Any clues as to the exciting new forms of gameplay this Vitality Sensor will provide? "I don't have any indication for you (of what we have in the works) other than to say that we have lots of very creative ideas." It looks like we'll just have to trust the man with the sword for the time being.

2. worlok375

Member worlok375 GBAtemp's prince

United States
    I think a creative idea would be in the up-coming haunted house game JU-ON The Grudge I htink they could use it to make heartbeat noises in the background whenever the players heart beat. [​IMG]

3. Ossot

Member Ossot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    9/10 "creative ideas" i've seen people come up with are either blah blah blah Wii Fit, or blah blah blah scary game.

I think being creative would be finding an actual, and good, use of it in something as run-of-the-mill as MKW.

4. Red Ire Lap

Newcomer Red Ire Lap Advanced Member

Canada
    Eternal Darkness 2? Higher the heartrate = lower sanity?

5. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    A message that pops up telling you to turn off the Wii when your BPM exceeds 110 or so.

6. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    I'm gonna let Nintendo come up with the ideas. I admit that I thought the balance board was stupid when I first saw it yet it turned on to be good. I need to some good software first. All I can think is the obvious fitness, horror, and rhythm games. I'll let Nintendo be the smart ones.

7. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    i really don't want to use that thing plus HOW will you use it hold your chuck and mote at the same time?!

8. Gwaith

Member Gwaith GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Hmm good point not sure how you're supposed to hold the nunchuck or remote with a sensor on your fingertip.

9. Red Ire Lap

Canada
    Maybe you could clip it on to your carotid artery instead of a finger...or somewhere else where blood rushes through.

Edit: The first part of that was meant to be the funny part but somehow the second part of the sentence way outdid it lol.

10. daknight

Newcomer daknight Member

Puerto Rico
    The only possible way is to put the viality sensor on your pinky. Is about the only finger that wouldn't bother you much. That being said, from the picture showned it didn't look like it could be use with the nunchunk since it didn't have an adapter or anything like it. In my opinion, is an innecesary add on. Not saying it can't provide some new interesting gameplay ideas to developers, like most said the most obvious being sports, fitness and horror games. I'll throw in fighting games (or action games), in solo play you might find your 'master' teaching you a move where you got to be 'relax' with your surroundings, in other parts when fighting depending on your heartbeat your power might increase but defense lowers (aka your heartbeat is fast and eradict cause your 'angry'), where in other parts you might get a diferent bonus depending on heart beats or 'special' moves can only be done then (say in anger you can do a killing punch, but in relax you may heal over time with you 'ki' etc, etc).

It be interesting to see how they use the vitality sensor...but I still think is innecesary add on. They are trying to do to many controls options for the Wii, you got the Wii control, balance board, motion plus, classic control and nunchuck plus Wiimote. Not counting the zapper thing cause it really doesn't add anything (as in a new function to the control, is just plastic holder for the wii and nunchuck)...now we got the vitality sensor on the way. A game needing the vitality sensor, balance board, nunchuck and wii control with motionplus is probably not going to happen...but if it does it'll probably bomb hard (unless it brings some of the 'controls' and is still 50 dollars).

11. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Nintendo's next creative idea: Make a shitload of must-have peripherals to squeeze money out of people.

12. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines

thast old news already

wiifit, motion+, nunchuck, classic controller..you name it

13. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    I think its hilarious...they make a peripheral, yet they don't know what to do with it.

14. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    so your supposed to hold the mote like a fucking teacup? [​IMG]

15. Red Ire Lap

Canada
    You mean you dont already? I play mario kart with as much class as possible.