Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Title could have been better.
This is just an extremely generic statement given by basically every company. No one should be surprised that a company stops doing something when there is no longer a demand for it.

This doesn't voice even an ounce of intention to stop home console development at this time. Long term is a rather broad statement. Given the switch is doing quite well, it wouldn't make financial sense to interpret this the way it has been.

they are all clickbait then

The classic "He did it first!!" argument. I wouldn't use that one too often outside of kindergarten.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Why is everybody seeming so negative about it. Consoles are dying out and next generation is as good as the last generation, Microsoft already knows that hence why they're building more and more windows pc boxes as of late and porting all their games also to windows pc. Companies have to adjust to the fact that console gaming as we know it is dying and they should find a new strategy to make money in a market like that and i'm pretty sure it ain't consoles anymore

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All their mobile games are okay...pokemon go is the best of the bunch and it ain't developed by them. I'd be pretty dissapointed if they minimized home consoles. nintendo at least tries to have a hook beyond "it's like, literally, the most powerful evar". gimmicky, ingenuity, whichever, they take risk.

cell-phone games are fine for diversification, but not as a main focus.

Last edited by osaka35, , Reason: spelling
D

Deleted User

I buy Nintendo hardware because it has the games I want to play on it. I’d much rather Nintendo release their games on the Xbox One X.

BotW for instance has great gameplay and a well-crafted world. As far as graphics go the Switch just isn’t good enough to make the game look as good as it could. 900p 30fps with drops, while bearable isn’t that great. Textures and effects are nice but could look a whole lot better. Shadows don't look nice.

Will I ever play Zelda on my phone? I’m open to the idea. If I can hook my phone up to my TV for a console-like experience, the gameplay isn’t dumbed down like in Fire Emblem Heroes and there are no shitty paywalls to make progress. A new phone has better hardware and can do a lot more things than the Switch. If Nintendo publishes quality games on mobile I’ll buy them.

Edit:
All their mobile games are okay...pokemon go is the best of the bunch and it ain't developed by them. I'd be pretty dissapointed if they minimized home consoles. nintendo at least tries to have a hook beyond "it's like, literally, the most powerful evar". gimmicky, ingenuity, whichever, they take risk.

cell-phome games are fine for diversification, but not as a main focus.

I think that so far Nintendo’s mobile games are not worth playing. I don’t care about innovative hardware, just good games.

Edit 2: Thinking about it a bit more, the N3DS is an example of innovation done right. The O3DS has a laggy OS and you have to hold the system in exactly the right position to get the 3D effect working which leads to many users simply not using it. The N3DS took what was a gimmick and turned it into a useful feature that enhances the presentation of it's games. It's is obsolete because of it's shitty CPU, GPU and low resolution but it fixes all of the O3DS's problems and the end product is a system that does just enough things right to make it good.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Deleted User
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I remember when some years ago pretty much most triple A companies were all like "mobile is da future, consoles are ded", and where are we now? Isn't the ps5 coming out in a few years or something?
This is just Nintendo being Nintendo, catching up with the times. They recently discovered they can charge money for their shitty online, and now this.
Moving on, nothing too see here.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i warned you people this would happen if you hacked the switch too early. this is what happens should have waited a few years! you've drove nintendo to become yet another mobile developer :creep:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,
Reactions: garyopa

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I remember when some years ago pretty much most triple A companies were all like "mobile is da future, consoles are ded", and where are we now? Isn't the ps5 coming out in a few years or something?
This is just Nintendo being Nintendo, catching up with the times. They recently discovered they can charge money for their shitty online, and now this.
Moving on, nothing too see here.
There's no PS5 announcement yet, reasonable to assume that will come in the next couple years.

Nintendo charging for online several years after PSN copied XBL in that regard is not at all surprising. At least Nintendo is charging a lot less than the competition, but I agree that consoles shouldn't be charging for online at all.

There definitely is nothing to see here, Nintendo won't shift entirely to mobile because that'd be stupid. Both console and mobile products can be developed at the same time by different teams.

You think they would wait until the Switch 2 and not use it for a revision?
I don't think they have much of a choice but to wait. We don't have a lot of data on what Tegra X2 devices might cost yet, but that's the SoC included with Magic Leap One (standalone VR HMD), and the early revision of that runs $2,300.

Last edited by Xzi,

Mr. Elementle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought they already did that when they left the wii u to die in a ditch while they focused on the 3ds, mobile games, and then the switch. I guess the switch is still technically a console, but come on, nintendo has been focusing on the handheld and mobile market for a while now

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo stopped thinking about consoles fucking ages ago.

All they focused on was how they can release cheap old shit with a bullshit gimmick to print money.

They have never focused on a system to bring new games, all they care about is 're releasing it's same old rinse repeated recycled shit.

Nintendo should go mobile, at least then we're not to buy one system just to replay the same old Nintendo shit and third party shit that other systems.had first years ago.

kcajjones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Seriously, Nintendo have never made a single console that could play video files out of the box. The Wii had netflix (and I presume the WiiU did too) but other than that, nothing media related. Add to that, they always underpowered their systems so don't get some of the latest and greatest titles (ala GTA) and I start asking myself why would I want another Nintendo console? The only answer is the software. What if I could just play Mario and Zelda on the Xbox or Ps4? Hell, what if I could have it on pc? Yeah I'd take that instead of buying another Nintendo console. I end up getting the 'mainstream' console alongside the 'Nintendo' console because of the exclusivity, I don't care much for the console itself.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nintendo stopped thinking about consoles fucking ages ago.

All they focused on was how they can release cheap old shit with a bullshit gimmick to print money.

They have never focused on a system to bring new games, all they care about is 're releasing it's same old rinse repeated recycled shit.

Nintendo should go mobile, at least then we're not to buy one system just to replay the same old Nintendo shit and third party shit that other systems.had first years ago.

Have you played Zelda BOTW and Mario Odyssey? Only a fool would say there's nothing 'new' happening in Nintendo games!

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For starters, I thought this was fake news.

Second, doesn't Nintendo have a lot of money in the bank? Why the sudden concern? Did the Switch cost a lot to develop or something? Because, as much as I realize traditional console gaming, the things that have made gaming what it used to be back then are definitely being phased out in an era of games spending FAR too much on advertising to where the game has to be a smash hit or else that franchise/company bites the dust, but c'mon, it seems like Nintendo has always been about low costs and everything.

The only thing I could see being expensive is perhaps the fact that the Switch uses an Nvidia mobile processor, and that it costed far more than some obscure PowerPC thing that's only good for backwards GC/Wii/Wii U compatibility these days to implement, license, and develop for when it comes to Nintendo.

Either way, Nintendo's becoming more and more like their competitors, so at least the Nintendrones can stop acting all like "Nintendo cares about gaming more than Sony or Microsoft because they don't charge for online," when that's not really special considering Steam doesn't charge online, and is possibly making the biggest shift in gaming markets with Proton, a move to a completely open source system that has actual financial backing as opposed to some dudes who just happen to love Linux so much that they'll bleed to make games work for the various Linux distros.

rickwj324

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I would love to see Nintendo titles on a system like the PS4 (or it's next iteration of console). I love the Nintendo staple games, but honestly their consoles and controllers always seem more toy-like (and gimmicky) than it's competitors. Yes, they are nice for jailbreaking and playing backwards compatible games, but if it weren't for that ability my Wii and Wii-U systems never would've gotten as much play as they have.
A game like Mario Sunshine on the PS4 would be amazing!! :lol:

Reactions: IncredulousP

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
He just said that the company will make mobile games if the home consoles market happen to crash
Like, you know ... Any decent company who wants to live

Reactions: rickwj324

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Title could have been better.
This is just an extremely generic statement given by basically every company. No one should be surprised that a company stops doing something when there is no longer a demand for it.

This doesn't voice even an ounce of intention to stop home console development at this time. Long term is a rather broad statement. Given the switch is doing quite well, it wouldn't make financial sense to interpret this the way it has been.

The classic "He did it first!!" argument. I wouldn't use that one too often outside of kindergarten.
The title really only half the problem, the other half is the shabby reporting he did. Nintendo's CEO did not even remotely suggest that they are considering abandoning home consoles and to imply so is just misleading. I get that you said basically the same thing, but it's worth repeating for everyone who didn't actually research this before posting an "aw man, Nintendo ditching the switch!" post.
Seriously, this is bad reporting and pure clickbait.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: