Nintendo Power December scores

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then their review should be dismissed then. I guess Mastiff sent them an early copy, not sure why seeing that the game has been delayed now.

Louisiana

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ferrariman said:
ONLY 9? Are you kidding me? For a 12 year old game, that is great.

Are YOU kidding me? Super Mario Bros. 3 is 20 years old and it's white-hot! Civilization is 17 years old. Deus Ex is 8. The good games, the classics, will always be good.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Louisiana said:
Ferrariman said:

Are YOU kidding me? Super Mario Bros. 3 is 20 years old and it's white-hot! Civilization is 17 years old. Deus Ex is 8. The good games, the classics, will always be good.
I guess that what they meant is good as reviewers tend to rate ports of older games lower.

To be honest 9 is good enough for the SNES version. A 10 would mean its perfect and I can't say it is perfect for me plus there are new bits added to the DS version, perhaps they detract from the original.

You can't really say the score is fair unless you've actually played the version for yourself.

Louisiana

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ports of old console games to handhelds are always bad. And the new port does not even deserve a review. They should go back and review the original Chrono Trigger on the SNES if they want to review something.

And Chrono Trigger is easily one of the best JRPGs. It does deserve a ten.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Louisiana said:
Ports of old console games to handhelds are always bad. And the new port does not even deserve a review. They should go back and review the original Chrono Trigger on the SNES if they want to review something.

This is why I wanted SE to do a Chrono Trigger HD remake on Xbox 360 or PS3. That would be awesome.

Waddle Dee

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, just let me say this: NP's scoring rules are different. If you don't like them, screw you, go read Game Informer or something. A 9.0 is almost the best score NP ever gives out - but Chrono Trigger doesn't deserve a 10 because THERE'S ALMOST NOTHING NEW.

And I miss the old Sonic Team, I love the Sonic Adventure games...

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ferrariman said:
Louisiana said:

This is why I wanted SE to do a Chrono Trigger HD remake on Xbox 360 or PS3. That would be awesome.

I would prefer a proper sequel.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Hadrian said:
Louisiana said:
Ferrariman said:

A 10 would mean its perfect
Maybe for you, but Nintendo Power gave SSBB a 10, and it's certainly not perfect.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Of course Nintendo is going to be biased when it comes to their games especially when its their "Game of the year".

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Trolly said:
Nintendo Power's scores always seem to be off the mark IMO. I tend to keep checking Metacritic for the average, that's usually the best measure of how good a game is.
+1. I always check Metacritic. The ONLY time it's failed me is when I saw the reviews for Time Hollow :\ That game is so underrated.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
The ONLY time it's failed me is when I saw the reviews for Time Hollow :\ That game is so underrated.
I dunno, it was an okay game, but one of the only games that has kept me playing until the finish. Then again, I reckon I'm just a sucker for games that have a proper plot. It's like a book you can't put down, and I have to keep playing till the finish :\.
So I dunno, I enjoyed it, but looking at it by the numbers, it deserved the score it got.

I think this quote from a review I found describes it pretty well:
"If Phoenix Wright is a TV season boxset, Time Hollow is an HBO miniseries. It all feels quite minor, but it's certainly intriguing while it lasts."

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
Ohh, I can't wait for Chrono Trigger to be released!
1,800 posts!
I'm one step closer to 2,000!
toot.gif

inthegray

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
other highlights from this Nintendo Power issue

No More Heroes 2 news (Suda isn't directing)
Cave Story interview with Pixel
Gradius interview with Toshiyasu Kamiko
Short news on Punch Out, Sin and Punishment, DS, FFCC: Echoes of Time, Mario and Luigi RPG 3, Help Wanter, My World My Way, Ys Book I & 2, Marble Saga: Kororinpa, Pool Revolution: Cue Sports, and Hot Rod Show. Didn't see any new info.
10 year retrospective on Ocarina of Time, interview with aonuma
TGS recap
Interview with Keisuke Kanayama on Tenchu 4
Henry Hatsworth preview
Gamers' Non-Game Holiday Gift Guide
20 Years Retrospective on NP with former and current staff
Shinji Mikami interview
Retrospective on Mole Mania
Interview with that Morpheonmods guy

Next month will have previews of the conduit, sonic and the black knight, major minor's majestic march, wii sports resort, and "a few surprises." picture is of fireworks for the new year.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn