Nintendo possibly upgrading the CPU & storage in the original Switch model, according to report

bundle_color_portable (1).jpg

The Nintendo Switch Lite has just become the latest addition to the Nintendo hardware lineup, offering the ability to play Switch games, but in a smaller form-factor, and for a little less cost. Though we likely won't be seeing a "Switch Pro" any time soon, it appears that Nintendo is looking into making a few tweaks to the existing, original Switch model. Curiously, Nintendo has filed a Class II Permission Change with the United State's FCC, and according to those documents, it appears that the Big N wants to revamp the original Switch, with a slight change to its system-on-chip (SoC) and NAND (flash storage). Filing this claim with the FCC would allow for Nintendo to sell these refreshed consoles, while avoiding the process of re-certification, and being able to keep the hardware refresh under wraps.

As to what this means for the end-user, it might not mean much of anything. On the other hand, some newer components could give a very slight boost to performance, possibly resulting in a system that doesn't run as hot, has faster load times, or maybe has a mild increase in battery life. We won't know anything official until Nintendo confirms it, or someone spots one of these upgraded models out in the wild. It wouldn't be the powerhouse people were hoping for in the rumored Switch Pro model, but with Doug Bowser confirming that the Switch Lite is the only new hardware we'll be seeing from Nintendo this year, it might be the best we can get.

:arrow: Source

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some leaks coming out about the Switch revision
8gb of ram
1080p screen made by Sharp that in dock mode will support 4k
128gb of internal storage
no other leaks about main chip
release date said to be 2020 hopefully with Botw chapter 2

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GPD Win Max looks like a step backward. It's awkwardly big, the right buttons are weirdly placed and the keyboard seems to be meant to be used on a table.

Don't those GPD Win consoles have horribly programmed firmware? Like 58 Hz refresh rates, analog sticks that don't work and screen tearing?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some leaks coming out about the Switch revision
8gb of ram
1080p screen made by Sharp that in dock mode will support 4k
128gb of internal storage
no other leaks about main chip
release date said to be 2020 hopefully with Botw chapter 2
Literally everything you said here is wrong and/or irrelevant, especially the part where the "1080p" screen magically becomes "4k" when docked.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
It’s kidt cheaper to buy the new version of the X1 in bulk than the old one, and it’ll let Nintendo add a lot of new features with an alternate firmware with the extra power. The nvidia shield and the X1 are very old now, no one is ordering millions of units of it anymore except Nintendo.

atlboyz_247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People shouldn’t compare this to the 3DS upgrade from Old 3DS to New 3DS, it’s more in line with the upgrades that PS3 and Xbox 360 received in a die size reduction and lower heat generation. Performance increases are possible if Nintendo takes advantage of the heat reduction and introduces higher clock speeds for the Switch and by limiting the hardware by its temperature, but that’s not very likely.

Though, this should mean that the console shouldn’t get as hot as quickly as the original switch to the touch and a marginally better life span as the more heat that is introduced in a console’s life span the shorter it will actually last.

EDIT: I think it makes sense too as it would be some lackluster news when the PS5 and Xbox Two/Project Scarlett actually makes an appearance to make news of such a marginal upgrade at this time.

Last edited by atlboyz_247,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The FCC filing garuntees this is a quiet refresh because it is techinally an update to an existing model. It won't be "new" anything, it won't have additional NAND, just a different type of 32gb, maybe slightly faster access. You won't be able to tell from the box without researching serial numbers.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,
Reactions: SaffronXL

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Literally everything you said here is wrong and/or irrelevant, especially the part where the "1080p" screen magically becomes "4k" when docked.

"especially the part where the "1080p" screen magically becomes "4k" when docked" I hope you understand when in dock mode TV output will be upscaled to 4k no magic needed just pure science ;)

it's still unclear if this will be the new base model and the Pro could have even beefier specs such as a sim card slot for 5G and more onboard storage

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"especially the part where the "1080p" screen magically becomes "4k" when docked" I hope you understand when in dock mode TV output will be upscaled to 4k no magic needed just pure science ;)

it's still unclear if this will be the new base model and the Pro could have even beefier specs such as a sim card slot for 5G and more onboard storage
You said the screen becomes "4K", not the video output. The Tegra X1 already supports "4K", but Nintendo isn't using it.

Also, a SIM card slot? Not a chance.

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
I don't get why so many want a "Switch Pro".
The Switch is quite powerful as it is: look at Doom!
Just wishing for more advanced stuff: left joycon with proper dpad and better analog stick.

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm calling it now: Switch Pro will release with BOTW 2
I really hope this isn't the case, unless it's like "Play in 4K instead of 1080P," like they did for the ps4 pro. I really hated the "new" 3ds, because I already had a 3ds, and I couldn't play "New" 3ds exclusives. When the only difference is faster loading times, and "New 3ds Exclusives"

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I really hope this isn't the case, unless it's like "Play in 4K instead of 1080P," like they did for the ps4 pro. I really hated the "new" 3ds, because I already had a 3ds, and I couldn't play "New" 3ds exclusives. When the only difference is faster loading times, and "New 3ds Exclusives"
More CPU overhead as well. Improved 3D functionality and more buttons. The N3DS was definitely worth it as an upgrade.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't get why so many want a "Switch Pro".
The Switch is quite powerful as it is: look at Doom!
Just wishing for more advanced stuff: left joycon with proper dpad and better analog stick.
...because there's newer hardware and more power would definitely be welcome. Especially for games like Doom that can chug along in some instances.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/yjrjY6PCb7o?si=xnFz0B2o_adIgLTV +1