Nintendo possibly upgrading the CPU & storage in the original Switch model, according to report

bundle_color_portable (1).jpg

The Nintendo Switch Lite has just become the latest addition to the Nintendo hardware lineup, offering the ability to play Switch games, but in a smaller form-factor, and for a little less cost. Though we likely won't be seeing a "Switch Pro" any time soon, it appears that Nintendo is looking into making a few tweaks to the existing, original Switch model. Curiously, Nintendo has filed a Class II Permission Change with the United State's FCC, and according to those documents, it appears that the Big N wants to revamp the original Switch, with a slight change to its system-on-chip (SoC) and NAND (flash storage). Filing this claim with the FCC would allow for Nintendo to sell these refreshed consoles, while avoiding the process of re-certification, and being able to keep the hardware refresh under wraps.

As to what this means for the end-user, it might not mean much of anything. On the other hand, some newer components could give a very slight boost to performance, possibly resulting in a system that doesn't run as hot, has faster load times, or maybe has a mild increase in battery life. We won't know anything official until Nintendo confirms it, or someone spots one of these upgraded models out in the wild. It wouldn't be the powerhouse people were hoping for in the rumored Switch Pro model, but with Doug Bowser confirming that the Switch Lite is the only new hardware we'll be seeing from Nintendo this year, it might be the best we can get.

:arrow: Source

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chances are they are going to sneak the same 16 nm CPU the Lite has into standard Switch models, out of sheer necessity of not being able to get the 20 nm ones anymore. There's no way they will allow higher clocks on a quiet refresh, but you could well see battery life extend noticably and the system feeling cooler due to the efficiency gains. If the system ever got hacked you could probably push overclocking further with it. This sounds almost as annoying as the IPS N3DS situation, where there are superior and inferior versions being sold in the same boxes.

If this is the case then I fear that is it for the rumored switch "pro." A genuine upgrade can still happen down the road, but this silent refresh would be the "product" the credible business sources were talking about, since it is coming this year.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,
D

Deleted User

That sounds almost as annoying as the IPS N3DS situation, where there are superior and inferior versions being sold in the same boxes.

That's unbelievable ! Lootboxes...The console !

Reminds me of the junky JXD consoles, with the total absence of quality control and tremendous amount of defects. Mine died by staying a few months in a drawer...triggers broke by themselves :lol:. Ha, China.

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Having an upgraded CPU is nice but why aren't they making a pro model.
this would confuse people especially those who are trying to get their hands on the model with the upgraded CPU.
Hopefully they'll release a pro iteration soon.

Reactions: IncredulousP

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Having an upgraded CPU is nice but why aren't they making a pro model.
this would confuse people especially those who are trying to get their hands on the model with the upgraded CPU.
Hopefully they'll release a pro iteration soon.

The didn't say they aren't making a pro model. They said they aren't making one this year.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Long story short, don't get your hopes up for the Switch to go up against the GPD WIN Max anytime soon!
I see why people like those GPD devices. I watched many YouTube reviews about them and if there wasn't something like the Switch maybe I would have been interested in getting one.
However there is a Switch and although it cannot run computer games (apart from ARM compiled games in L4T Ubuntu or DosBox/C64/Atari stuff in RetroArch/Lakka) I think it's definitely the better gaming device:
  1. More people own one which leads to a higher chance to enjoy local multiplayer with someone somewhere
  2. The buttons to actually play games are arranged in a more comfortable way
  3. Using it on a TV is easier and faster
  4. Nice exclusives
  5. Joy-Cons can be plugged off and quickly shared among ppl to enjoy a multiplayer game on one device
  6. One of the coolest things that GPD devices are used for is present on the Switch as well in a really good state now:
    Emulation!
    Although GPD devices might perform better and support more cores. :)
That's why I consider a Switch + computer/notebook the best combo. :)

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see why people like those GPD devices. I watched many YouTube reviews about them and if there wasn't something like the Switch maybe I would have been interested in getting one.
However there is a Switch and although it cannot run computer games (apart from ARM compiled games in L4T Ubuntu or DosBox/C64/Atari stuff in RetroArch/Lakka) I think it's definitely the better gaming device:
  1. More people own one which leads to a higher chance to enjoy local multiplayer with someone somewhere
  2. The buttons to actually play games are arranged in a more comfortable way
  3. Using it on a TV is easier and faster
  4. Nice exclusives
  5. Joy-Cons can be plugged off and quickly shared among ppl to enjoy a multiplayer game on one device
  6. One of the coolest things that GPD devices are used for is present on the Switch as well in a really good state now:
    Emulation!
    Although GPD devices might perform better and support more cores. :)
That's why I consider a Switch + computer/notebook the best combo. :)

On all of this I agree. The problem is that damn ARM chip as opposed to an x86. If this thing was x86, the possibilities for homebrew would skyrocket!

The only thing I'm honestly waiting on for the Switch is more stable DC emulation. In my experience, it's almost at the level of an ODroid XU4 for me (IDK really care about Atomiswave/NAOMI outside of playing some later era SNK games and Melty Blood, as the latest version of Guilty Gear X2 is already on Switch, and apparently the next version of UNIB (how many fucking versions of this game exist? Will it ever get a full-on sequel?) is coming to the Switch some time this year) right now, but it just needs a little bit of a push from davidgf and/or a boost in performance on Ubuntu or for Lakka to become more TV-friendly before I can consider it an outright replacement, 6-button controller compatibility (use the DS4 version of the Fighting Commander Pro, it's the most compatible in my experience) on the ODroid XU4 aside.

71r3n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Long story short, don't get your hopes up for the Switch to go up against the GPD WIN Max anytime soon!

Plz slap me with facts, but GPD cant be compared to switch.
1. No native support.
2. Just check the skyrim videos and check the comments. Ppl play it with moddet textures, so they get playable framerates. (EDIT: Wasnt on the MAX, but the MAX isnt out jet, so...)
3. It needs way to much resources for the OS.

Dont get me wrong, i realy like the idea of a GPD and if i had the extra cash, i already would own one. Only its formfactor is a bit comparable.
But give a normal console player a GPD win, and hes propably gets frustrated within the first month. We here on gbatemp are the nerds, the geeks, the neets and so on, we know our electric shit. :D

Last Edit: Holy shit, screw GPD. Getting myself a switch lite, a second switch 1, and a futore pro switch for that price thou....
https://www.amazon.de/GamePad-Digital-GPD-Win-128/dp/B07DSBGYK9

It got 899$ problems.... but the bitch aint one.... :D

Last edited by 71r3n,
Reactions: Essasetic

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released