Nintendo possibly upgrading the CPU & storage in the original Switch model, according to report

bundle_color_portable (1).jpg

The Nintendo Switch Lite has just become the latest addition to the Nintendo hardware lineup, offering the ability to play Switch games, but in a smaller form-factor, and for a little less cost. Though we likely won't be seeing a "Switch Pro" any time soon, it appears that Nintendo is looking into making a few tweaks to the existing, original Switch model. Curiously, Nintendo has filed a Class II Permission Change with the United State's FCC, and according to those documents, it appears that the Big N wants to revamp the original Switch, with a slight change to its system-on-chip (SoC) and NAND (flash storage). Filing this claim with the FCC would allow for Nintendo to sell these refreshed consoles, while avoiding the process of re-certification, and being able to keep the hardware refresh under wraps.

As to what this means for the end-user, it might not mean much of anything. On the other hand, some newer components could give a very slight boost to performance, possibly resulting in a system that doesn't run as hot, has faster load times, or maybe has a mild increase in battery life. We won't know anything official until Nintendo confirms it, or someone spots one of these upgraded models out in the wild. It wouldn't be the powerhouse people were hoping for in the rumored Switch Pro model, but with Doug Bowser confirming that the Switch Lite is the only new hardware we'll be seeing from Nintendo this year, it might be the best we can get.

:arrow: Source

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
On all of this I agree. The problem is that damn ARM chip as opposed to an x86. If this thing was x86, the possibilities for homebrew would skyrocket!
And that's where I agree but I understand why Nintendo made that choice of using ARM.
Mainly because of battery life I guess.

71r3n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And that's where I agree but I understand why Nintendo made that choice of using ARM.
Mainly because of battery life I guess.

Not realy. I think its because there are no good low tdp x86 cpus around. Intel killed their atoms, amd never realy rose into mobile chips, so theres only arm left. And as weve seen in the last years, arm is definitly capable.

Reactions: IncredulousP

Hielkenator2

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
This will probably happen within the next year as the switch is being released in china. after that,they would be looking at a new console or upgraded sstem of sorts. The mobile aspect I think will not change as this is Nintendo's Forte atm. still One can always hope for a powerfull system like Microsofts onex or ps5. But most likely Nintendo will also go the route of streaming. Most likely 5g, then cartridges will be a thing of the past ( sadly ). I will be in my 50's when this will happen, I am almost 41 now.....

WiikeyHacker

Natsumi Naga
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I've already upgraded my switch with the 256gb memory storage upgrade so no need for me to buy a new model and I still haven't hacked it and i don't plan too either.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Chances are they are going to sneak the same 16 nm CPU the Lite has into standard Switch models, out of sheer necessity of not being able to get the 20 nm ones anymore.
100% agree with this.

I don't think it's going to be any real performance upgrade, simply the smaller die X1s they're putting in the Switch Lite and that's it. Will probably have slightly better battery life, but I doubt it'll do anything to increase performance in games that just barely run on the Switch.

I'm sure Nintendo has a Switch Pro planned for some point in 2020 though for sure.

Reactions: Kioku

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Urgh... So this is going to be like the New 3DS all over again. I swear, if they do stuff like "Switch Pro exclusive", I'll fucking scream.
guarantee it's coming this is what nintendo does they never change they just keep doing the same shit over and over again whether it be the same rehashed games or hardware.

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Long story short, don't get your hopes up for the Switch to go up against the GPD WIN Max anytime soon!

I am not getting my hope up at all. I am look forwarding to PS5 so I am fine with what I have - an original Nintendo Switch. Whatever Nintendo wants to do with our original Nintendo is fine. It doesn't matter. 3rd party aren't going to develop AAA games on it because it is underpowered. Only ported from ps3 and some ps4 games. Can't wait for PS5. That's my high hope. :)

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I just find it hilarious when there were talks about the ps4 pro and the xbox one X solely playing newer games on those systems and not the older ones everybody was screaming murder and rape while holding pitchforks and torches. Now when there's some talk about exactly the same thing with Nintendo everybody suddenly wants that and praises the shit out of that ? Nice to see those double standards haven't changed much

Last edited by kumikochan,

0000ff

Spase Peepole
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if they will call it "The New Switch." Seems to me there might be a variant with a same size screen,and maybe glass instead of plastic. There's definitely room for a Switch XL in the pipeline...

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds almost as annoying as the IPS N3DS situation, where there are superior and inferior versions being sold in the same boxes.

With the TN's being the superior of the two, despite the majority clamoring over IPS screens because they have better viewing angles. That is the ONLY thing better about them. Everything else is worse. Scanlines and severe black crush? No thanks.

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guarantee it's coming this is what nintendo does they never change they just keep doing the same shit over and over again whether it be the same rehashed games or hardware.
So you'd rather games that can't run on the original Switch but can on the Switch Pro just not be released at all?

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the TN's being the superior of the two, despite the majority clamoring over IPS screens because they have better viewing angles. That is the ONLY thing better about them. Everything else is worse. Scanlines and severe black crush? No thanks.

The transition time on IPS is significantly better, sidescrollers with heavy black become an inky mess on TN. Its really the main improvement as far as I'm concerned, albeit less relevant to people playing 3D games mostly.

Both displays have "scanlines" so not sure what you are talking about there. Only the o2DS uses a grid-style for the top screen.

BiggieCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The New CPU is likely just a minor revision with cooling and power usage improvements (and maybe some security patches) just like almost every other game console ever has had at one point - or several - during their life cycles, Nintendo is not going to stealth-release a Switch Pro.
I could see them eventually pushing out normal Switch models with 64+ GBs of storage space, though.

Reactions: scroeffie1984

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The transition time on IPS is significantly better, sidescrollers with heavy black become an inky mess on TN. Its really the main improvement as far as I'm concerned, albeit less relevant to people playing 3D games mostly.

Both displays have "scanlines" so not sure what you are talking about there. Only the o2DS uses a grid-style for the top screen.

Agree to disagree on all accounts. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: can troll SylverReZ the following day :)