Nintendo possibly upgrading the CPU & storage in the original Switch model, according to report

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 11, 2019.

1. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    And that's where I agree but I understand why Nintendo made that choice of using ARM.
    Mainly because of battery life I guess.

2. 71r3n

71r3n GBAtemp Regular

Sep 24, 2011
    Germany
    Not realy. I think its because there are no good low tdp x86 cpus around. Intel killed their atoms, amd never realy rose into mobile chips, so theres only arm left. And as weve seen in the last years, arm is definitly capable.

3. Hielkenator2

Hielkenator2 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2017
    Albania
    This will probably happen within the next year as the switch is being released in china. after that,they would be looking at a new console or upgraded sstem of sorts. The mobile aspect I think will not change as this is Nintendo's Forte atm. still One can always hope for a powerfull system like Microsofts onex or ps5. But most likely Nintendo will also go the route of streaming. Most likely 5g, then cartridges will be a thing of the past ( sadly ). I will be in my 50's when this will happen, I am almost 41 now.....

4. WiikeyHacker

WiikeyHacker Natsumi Naga

Aug 6, 2018
    Japan
    Shibuya
    I've already upgraded my switch with the 256gb memory storage upgrade so no need for me to buy a new model and I still haven't hacked it and i don't plan too either.

5. ImLEBrAn

ImLEBrAn Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2019
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Long story short, the GPD WIN Max costs $400 more.

Pluupy and GerbilSoft like this.
  6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    100% agree with this.

I don't think it's going to be any real performance upgrade, simply the smaller die X1s they're putting in the Switch Lite and that's it. Will probably have slightly better battery life, but I doubt it'll do anything to increase performance in games that just barely run on the Switch.

I'm sure Nintendo has a Switch Pro planned for some point in 2020 though for sure.

Memoir likes this.
  7. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    Urgh... So this is going to be like the New 3DS all over again. I swear, if they do stuff like "Switch Pro exclusive", I'll fucking scream.

8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    guarantee it's coming this is what nintendo does they never change they just keep doing the same shit over and over again whether it be the same rehashed games or hardware.

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Jul 11, 2019
  9. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    I am not getting my hope up at all. I am look forwarding to PS5 so I am fine with what I have - an original Nintendo Switch. Whatever Nintendo wants to do with our original Nintendo is fine. It doesn't matter. 3rd party aren't going to develop AAA games on it because it is underpowered. Only ported from ps3 and some ps4 games. Can't wait for PS5. That's my high hope. :)

10. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    I just find it hilarious when there were talks about the ps4 pro and the xbox one X solely playing newer games on those systems and not the older ones everybody was screaming murder and rape while holding pitchforks and torches. Now when there's some talk about exactly the same thing with Nintendo everybody suddenly wants that and praises the shit out of that ? Nice to see those double standards haven't changed much

Last edited by kumikochan, Jul 11, 2019
  11. 0000ff

0000ff Spase Peepole

Mar 3, 2018
    United States
    Space
    I wonder if they will call it "The New Switch." Seems to me there might be a variant with a same size screen,and maybe glass instead of plastic. There's definitely room for a Switch XL in the pipeline...

12. ignare

ignare Member

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2019
    United States
    You mean overclocking will become even more useful?
    [​IMG]

13. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    With the TN's being the superior of the two, despite the majority clamoring over IPS screens because they have better viewing angles. That is the ONLY thing better about them. Everything else is worse. Scanlines and severe black crush? No thanks.

14. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Shota and Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    So you'd rather games that can't run on the original Switch but can on the Switch Pro just not be released at all?

15. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    The transition time on IPS is significantly better, sidescrollers with heavy black become an inky mess on TN. Its really the main improvement as far as I'm concerned, albeit less relevant to people playing 3D games mostly.

Both displays have "scanlines" so not sure what you are talking about there. Only the o2DS uses a grid-style for the top screen.

IncredulousP, SaffronXL and Dartz150 like this.
  16. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    switchU

17. scroeffie1984

scroeffie1984 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2019
    Netherlands
    cpu gpu upgrade wont happen i think to pricy ! internal mem upgrade yess

18. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    They'll just switch to a less compromised chip...

SANIC and scroeffie1984 like this.
  19. BiggieCheese

BiggieCheese GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2017
    United States
    The New CPU is likely just a minor revision with cooling and power usage improvements (and maybe some security patches) just like almost every other game console ever has had at one point - or several - during their life cycles, Nintendo is not going to stealth-release a Switch Pro.
    I could see them eventually pushing out normal Switch models with 64+ GBs of storage space, though.

scroeffie1984 likes this.
  20. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Agree to disagree on all accounts. :)