Nintendo Possible Storage Solution

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Serabii, Aug 2, 2008.

Aug 2, 2008
  1. Serabii
    OP

Member Serabii GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    Nintendo may have found a solution to the "mainsteam" problem.

Nintendo has recently applied for a joint patent filing to InPhase about Hologaphic Storage.

[​IMG]

it looks like it came out of a scifi novel but apparently InPhase is developing a technology called Holographic Storage whereas
    From the looks of it we might be getting more than the usual 60GB memory, Nintendo didn't looked with a blind eye to the storage complaints and maybe they'll be delivering us more than we bargain for.

source:
    Gametrailers News
    Wiifanboy

2. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If real, and actually used, this will probably cost a mythic assload of money to produce, and for the consumer to buy. D:

3. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    Ah, the new Holographic storage.
    I've heard theres hard drives of those already being sold to some companies or some closed network or the like.
    Still hella expensive and still in the early stages.

Nintendo needs to stay cheap and giving us a whole Terabyte hard drive is over doing it.
    It would be more likely that they would release a USB flash drive of some sort instead.
    Cheap and effective.
    I think another 512 megs of space is all they would think we'd need.

Though if they could use this tech to make really small drives, say of just a gig in size. Then it might be for the better.

Id rather have something I can backup on my computer somehow though. However knowing nintendo they would want something rather closed off.

Either way they do it, I wish they would do it faster.
    We need a storage solution stat.

4. webyugioh

Member webyugioh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    multiple-terabyte capacity?!
    Sweet!

5. Dylaan

Member Dylaan GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Holy crap! [​IMG] Surely it's not going to be used until their next console though... I mean we're not even talking HD content unless they plan to distribute full games.

One thing I reckon is certain, it'll probably be hell-a hard to 'crack'.

6. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Multiple Terabyte?

[​IMG]

We need maybe 2 Gigs or even less that's all...

7. Praetor192

Member Praetor192 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    You idiot.. this has absolutely NOTHING to do with the storage problem, this is a patent for a future product (probably the console after the NEXT console, like 10-15+ years down the line) and is completely irrelevant to any current Nintendo products.

If we get storage for the Wii, you must be on crack to think this would be it. Grow a brain.

The only people who would believe this are the people who spam the DS forums with questions like CANN DS EMLATE N64?!?!? WAHR CANN I GOT N644 EMLATR LOL!??!?!0!1?!10?1?!1?!!

8. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    This is a new technology and still too expensive, Nintendo is doing research on this for the future.

It's definitely not something that could be used right now..

9. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Who the hell actually needs terabytes? In all seriousness, people seem to be wasteful with organizing and saving space as technology gets more advanced. Instead, it just seems like more and more people assume that if there's a larger capacity and strength of the system, it'll be easier to just throw a thing on and call it good D:

Mini-rant aside, they could try to get a GameCube memory card/adapter that'll act as an expansion to memory. Whether or not it'd be real-time and work with Wii games or just another SD card I don't know, but that's one method that doesn't require too much money, if Nintendo can connect the two ports in the first place without any hardware modification.

10. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

Game sizes are increasing, over history from floppys to blu-ray.

11. cosmo2389

Member cosmo2389 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Agree again!

Also, do you think that Ninty would go so over the top as to make something with so much space that you would have to purchase every game released to actually be able to use a fraction of the space? I mean seriously, 10 gigs would probably be plenty of room (unless they up the size of WiiWare games of course).

12. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    There have been various "hey we found a way to pump up storage space using this technology and that".
    They turn out not exactly cost-efficient for the time being, and when they become cost-efficient a more mainstream storage with about the same cost-efficiency appears.

Never hurts to have multi TBs, as long as it's as cheap as a single digit GB storage on users' end. I'm gonna say not likely, but when it becomes likely I'm buying one.

13. 8v8t8r

Newcomer 8v8t8r Advanced Member

United States
    what if nintendo's planning this technology for the wii2 and not the current generation wii? it would make sense if they want to compete w/ ps3's hard drive & bluray capacity.

14. sjones900

Member sjones900 GBAtemp Advanced Member

United States
    oh sh*t OVERKILLL

15. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
  16. Try2bcool

Member Try2bcool GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I call BS on this...Nintendo isn't exactly known for cutting edge hardware. No matter how many Wii and DS systems they sell, they aren't going to have the money to develop (or pay to have it developed) this technology exclusively for their use.