Nintendo, Please Fix Your Repair Center

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by T-hug, May 24, 2017.

1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    A friend of the site mailed in to let us know about their troubles when dealing with their brand new Nintendo Switch and the UK Nintendo Repair Center.

First of all, a bit of back story for context. We will refer to our friend as 'NintyFan'.

NintyFan got their shiny new Switch on release day, and for the first week or so everything was fine.
    NintyFan tells us that after a while, the battery indicator on their Switch would drop from 100% charge to 1% after only 20 minutes or so of usage. Even though the Switch's battery indicator stated 1%, the device would continue to work for another 2-3 hours, the problem is it would keep trying to go into sleep mode, and if it succeeded, it would have to be put on charge again to wake up, even though it still had enough juice for hours of play.

Frustrated that their new device wasn't functioning as it should, NintyFan scoured the web looking for a solution to the problem and came across pages of other Switch owners with the exact same issue.
    You can see the thread on Nintendo's official support forums here.

Over 200 comments across 17 pages are filled with Switch owners all with the same issue. Their battery indicator was giving drastically incorrect readings.

A user on the support thread called Chris wrote:
    Another user called Ragnarleon wrote:
    And member ViperX wrote:

This support thread was created on 9th March 2017, less than a week from when Nintendo released the Switch on the 3rd. The latest post is from just yesterday, 23rd May with user Marcelo reporting:

After 17 pages of many Switch owners trading tips with each other for a potential fix, or hoping for a remedy via a future firmware update, it's worth noting that the number 1 pinned BEST comment on the thread comes from user NOA_MOD_JEN, who offers the following advice:

NintyFan was hesitant to send in their Switch to the UK repair center as they had over 50 hours of play time in Zelda and had heard they might lose the save files if they returned the device for repairs, as currently, at the time of writing, there is still no way to back up a save file from the device.

On the 28th of April Nintendo UK received NintyFan's Switch. This was 26 days ago. Since then NintyFan's update on Nintendo's UK repair page states:

switch.PNG
    NintyFan called up the service center today for the third time to see what the hold up could possibly be, as previously the repair status said Repair held - awaiting parts, on May 5th.

What follows is the transcript of the call to Nintendo UK Customer Services, which is listed as the contact number under the repair site's info page:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rep: Good afternoon you are through to Nintendo customer support, you are through to REMOVED, how may I help you?

NintyFan: Afternoon REMOVED, I am trying to find out what is going on with the repair of my Switch

Rep: I'll be able to help with that, just confirm for me your full name address and postcode

NintyFan
    : Name & address & postcode

Rep: Brilliant, lets have a look at this for you

NintyFan
    : You've had it for like a month

Rep: It's an issue with the battery is that correct?

NintyFan
    : Yes they told me they were going to send me a new one and I've phoned every week now for the last 3 weeks, now it (repair tracking site) just keeps saying awaiting parts..

Rep: The reason it says that is we are waiting for a replacement console to come in ourselves

NintyFan
    : How long does that take

Rep: Erm.. it can take 2 to 4 weeks we are waiting for them to come in from the European headquarters in Germany

NintyFan
    : Right..

Rep: We are expecting them to come in shortly I've been advised by our service center, so we can get these kinds of issues resolved

NintyFan
    : At this point you've had it nearly as long as I have, it's not even mine it's my sons, I just think erm.. In America they get them back within 5 working days

Rep: Usually our turn around time is within 3-7 working days, erm, it is due to us awaiting stock from the headquarters in Germany

NintyFan
    : What's the time frame on that, can you tell me what day I am going to get my Switch back?

Rep: I wouldn't be able to tell you definitely what time when you are going to get your Switch back currently

NintyFan
    : You've had it a month, you know what I mean, one whole month, like, I could've bought a new one and just got a refund on that one instead of sending it back

Rep: No I understand I do apologise..

NintyFan
    : I know it's not your fault - I'm just getting really frustrated now with phoning every week and every week getting told "we're waiting for parts, we're waiting for.." I mean the parts are coming from Germany, can they not make them quick enough, or? I just don't understand what the delay is..

Rep: We don't have information as to when they are coming, currently, we are expecting them shortly, that information we have from the service center, they are expecting them shortly now, before they weren't sure

NintyFan
    : How long is shortly?

Rep: They didn't give us a timeframe on that, erm that is likely due to be cause they received..

NintyFan
    : I mean your just telling me the same thing you've told me every week for the last 3 weeks

Rep: If we did have more of an update for you obviously sir we would give that to you

NintyFan
    : have you got a manager there, are you the manager?

Rep: I can see if they are available to speak to yourself

NintyFan
    : Yes please I'd like to speak to the manager and I'd like some contact information for complaints as well

Rep: I can give you the complaints information, erm that will be our Windsor head office, erm, and that is likely the information my manager would give you as well

NintyFan
    : Yeah.. yeah

Rep: They have access to the same information I have basically, in regards to this particular issue

NintyFan
    : Yeah you just look on the computer and tell me it's awaiting parts

Rep: Bare with me
    Rep: What I would do as well, erm, just check if it has been done previously, erm, I can see actually that it has already been prioritized, if it comes in we'll get it to you as soon as possible

NintyFan
    : I know it's not your fault and I know there is a problem with the amount of stock available, but I think a month with any company, I mean I've sent a dualshock 4 back to Sony and had it back (5 days), a brand new one in the time you've had my Switch.. (26 days)

Rep: I understand your frustration with this, have you got a pen and paper..

NintyFan
    : Yeah I have

Rep: I'll give you the address and complaints, it's Nintendo customer support, and that's PO Box 4678

NintyFan
    : Have they not got an email?

Rep: The email will be our usual email address it will come through here and not to head office

NintyFan
    : 4678

Rep: Yeah

NintyFan
    : Yeah
    NintyFan: Ok well erm, ok if I don't hear anything I'll give you a call next week, again, and we'll probably have the same chat, again

Rep: Obviously they are up in Windsor, erm, so I'll give you the complete address before you go (laughs)

NintyFan
    : Yeah

Rep: S for sierra, alpha lima 4, 9, D for delta, Z for zulu

NintyFan
    : Okie doke.. I don't appreciate the way you are laughing about it, you know what I mean?

Rep: I er, do apologise if you thought I was laughing at the situation

NintyFan
    : What's your name is it REMOVED?

Rep: Yes my name's REMOVED yeah

NintyFan
    : Thanks very much for your time REMOVED I'll erm call again next week

Rep: Erm, As I say hopefully you'll have an update before then in regards to this

NintyFan
    : It will be a whole month from Friday, so, that's got to be some sort of record

Rep: As I say I can completely understand your frustration with this

NintyFan
    : Are a lot of people calling you up asking where is their Switch?

Rep: Sorry?

NintyFan
    : Are a lot of people calling you up asking where their Switch is?

Rep: We get general enquiries regarding repairs but I'm not at liberty to tell you how many people I've spoken to regarding Switches or other consoles at all

NintyFan
    : Have you not had any Switch deliveries in the last month?

Rep: I don't have access to that information

NintyFan
    : How can you not have access to that information, you work at the repair center, I'm waiting for a repair, how can you not know that?
    NintyFan: How can no-one in that building tell me when my Switch..

Rep: The repair center is elsewhere
    Rep: The repair center is based in Coventry (City in England)

NintyFan
    : So why am I talking to you then? Can you put me through to the repair center

Rep: They don't deal directly with customers

NintyFan
    : They won't speak to anyone?

Rep: They don't deal directly with customers

NintyFan
    : It's a fucking joke this

-CALL END-
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have heard the recording myself and can confirm that this transcript is a direct copy of the conversation.
    When I asked NintyFan why he recorded the conversation, he told me that he "is sick of being given the runaround by Nintendo" and that there is an obvious problem with certain Switches that still hasn't been addressed by Nintendo, and that he literally has no idea when he will ever get the repaired Switch or a replacement back from Nintendo's UK repair center.

Have you had any issues like this with your Switch? What do you think of Nintendo's repair service?
    Let us know in the comments :switch:

SKGleba, Costello, loler55 and 19 others like this.

2. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    I feel Ninty fan's pain, exactly the same thing happened to me when I needed my Wii U fixed, Nintendo sucks complete dick when it comes to repairs in the UK.

Tomato Hentai and T-hug like this.
  3. Abu_Senpai

Abu_Senpai The Red King

Jul 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Tokyo
    Goddammit!! now im scared of owning one of these faulty switches *(

Thelucario21, ogioto and T-hug like this.
  4. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Only experience I ever had with Nintendo's repair center was an incredibly pleasant one. It was when the Wii was new, I got it about a month or so after release, as they were hard to come by, and still were, I had picked the last one up in the store in question and hadn't been able to find one anywhere else.

Anyway, for one day, it worked flawlessly, on day 2, the Wii stopped reading game discs altogether be it Wii or Gamecube. I called Nintendo's repair service and they overnighted a box for me to send the Wii to them including postage and everything. I shipped it to Nintendo, and within 3 or 4 days, I received my Wii back (might have actually been a completely brand new one, I don't really recall, and it doesn't really matter), and it worked flawlessly from then on, still works to this day. Don't know how that compares to their service today, fortunately I've not had to have anything repaired by Nintendo since then, my Wii U, 3DSs, and Switch have all worked without issue since.

T-hug likes this.
  5. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Considering how most places are completely sold out anyway, it's not surprising that the repair center is out of stock too. Still, I feel sorry for the call center guy whose job is merely to log calls/support tickets and forward the information. The repair center don't deal with customers because they're too busy repairing whatever they can, and he only gets limited information that he can pass on (like how he can't talk about other people's support tickets due to data protection act). It's a thankless job since the only people he's ever in contact with are people who have problems.

Still, I blame Nintendo for all of this, because they can't make the consoles fast enough for demand (and obviously have a problem with their QA since so many faulty consoles are in the wild).

6. Verack

Verack GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2010
    United States
    That nonsense is exactly why I buy from Amazon, along with why I NEVER send items for repairs. At least for me, Amazon will accept anything back, no questions asked, and give me a full refund or replacement. Heck, I've sent back opened videogames and gotten a full refund (curse the Vita TV and its whitelist back in the day before homebrew).

7. TheDarkGreninja

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    I find it ridiculous that not even Nintendo can reserve Switches for their own repairs.

HaloEliteLegend, elBenyo and T-hug like this.
  8. Thelonewolf88

Thelonewolf88 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 11, 2016
    United States
    It's a bit TL/DR, yet i'm still on V2.00 fw and have clocked over 500hrs (real time) into Zelda and not experienced battery issues

9. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 That's Rad Bro

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    Launch consoles in general are more buggy. If you get one now that its been a few months they should hopefully be better. I would advise getting one in between major releases as I'm guessing production will be ramped up then and it'll be more likely to get a faulty unit.

10. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    Sounds about right for nintendo, what were you expecting?

HackingNewbie likes this.
  11. TheDarkGreninja

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    Non-retarded customer service, if only they were as up to snuff as the games they represent.

I pwned U! likes this.
  12. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    The UK Nintendo Store and such is run by The Hut Group, IIRC so it's not surprising they offer a horrendous customer service. I'm glad my Switch hasn't run into any serious problems.

John Lewis seems to get a lot of praise to replace products quite quickly.

13. Thelonewolf88

Thelonewolf88 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 11, 2016
    United States
    Maybe Nintendo need to take a page from their own book from 1991:)

14. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    As sound as your reasoning is, you can bet that, were the fact of some consoles being kept as spares be confirmed, a vocal amount of people probably larger than the number of victims of delayed repairs would complain at artificial shortage ~

15. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    If you're in the UK and dont care about saves, check with your retailer as they may be able to replace the console, subject to stock of course.

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  16. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    So strange, I only heard complaints about the UK Nintendo while the EU one (Germany) seem to pretty fast. Is The Hut Group that incompetent?

17. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    good lord that is some terrible customer support. I hope they'll give him a 20~50€ Gift card as a compensation after this.

18. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Who's your manager?
    - I don't have access to that information.

Do you know what you're doing?

Who are you?

:rofl2:

'Don, iAqua, Tomato Hentai and 5 others like this.
  19. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    My experience with Nintendo service have been a little bit of a PITA.
    They recommend to send things by post with tracking, insurance, bells and whistles, but they don't cover the costs.
    So, last time I put ~10€ and a week of unavailability to send my desynching joycons to the service.
    They returned new ones that also desynch.
    Now I am thinking should I spend 10€ more and wait another week for new desynching joycons from Nintendo service? How many times? Perhaps better invest that money in completely new joycons from a store?

20. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Zavvi (also run by The Hut Group) is pretty decent for straight up orders but customer service is nonexistent, so if anything goes wrong (if the customer wants to return it), it'll be a bit of a pain. Always better to use a credit card (American Express has solid CS service and reply within 24hrs) or Paypal.