Nintendo, PLEASE Abandon the Diamond (A) (B) (X) (Y) Formation

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by LightyKD, Sep 17, 2015.

1. LightyKD
    OP

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Am I the only one that wants Nintendo to abandon the traditional diamond formation of the face buttons and just go back to the GameCube style? I would throw money at Nintendo for a GameCube styled Wii U gamepad. The GameCube button formation is so damn comfortable that going back to the diamond position seems like a pain in the ass.

2. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    I think that shit is patented haha.
    The Diamond A,B,X,Y formation has been in Nintendo consoles since the SNES.

The N64 adopted it (in some kind of form) with the C-Buttons, and the Gamecube does have some variation of it.
    The Gamecube button mapping does work quite nicely IMHO.
    It's one of the best controllers I ever laid my hands upon (and these comes from a gamer that's been playing since the Atari 2600 days).

I think the mapping is good and it could work with some slight improvements with the C-Stick (to make it the same size as the Analog stick or a little bigger than the original one) and perhaps making the B Button just a tid bit bigger.
    A second Z trigger and that's it.

Perfect controller. :P

3. Nikki_swap

Nikki_swap The Lewdest

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    The gamecube button layout doesnt really work with older which is my only complaint about it.

4. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Well it was perfect for Metroid Prime. Damn did I abuse that A button.

5. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I do think that the Gamecube layout of the buttons and just the controller itself was incredibly intuitive and comfortable.

However, due to Nintendo's console's having backward compatibility via the VC, certain games, especially SNES games become next to impossible to properly play. You ever try and play Super Mario World with the Gamecube controller? Doing the spin jump is frustrating with that controller.

As such I don't think Nintendo should abandon the diamond layout, I do think that should exist as a viable option. But I do think Nintendo should offer an alternative Wii U Pro controller modeled after the gamecube controller, something like this:

[​IMG]

6. LightyKD
    OP

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    The next best thing I can think of are interchangeable face button modules for their next controller. Actually, that would kick so much ass!

7. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I've thought of that before, and Nintendo even considered that with an early prototype of the 3DS. But I think that ultimately that kind of controller would lead itself into issues. I feel like that kind of controller could have latency issues or simply end up with unresponsive buttons. I think realistically, the best option is to just offer 2 different variations on the controllers.

Edit: Here is that early 3DS prototype
    [​IMG]

As you can see, what they toyed with here was where you would place the D-Pad and Slide Pad, but it is the same idea. Ultimately they did scrap this idea though obviously.

8. Tjessx

Tjessx GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 3, 2014
    Belgium
  9. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    You do realize we're talking about modern controllers. Give us a variation on the Wii U Pro controller with the Gamecube button layout and feel including the missing buttons: LZ, Select/Minus, Home, Power, and what essentially are the L3 and R3 buttons.

You can't play Super Smash with the kind of controller I'd like, a wireless WITH RUMBLE Gamecube controller (aside from crappy 3rd party controllers no one wants), and you certainly can't play Mario Kart 8 with such a controller either.

10. EMP Knightmare

EMP Knightmare Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)

May 3, 2010
    United States
    New York
    Kinda had to, A was to shoot ^_^

11. LightyKD
    OP

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    That's one lovely picture. Really hope Nintendo considers this again.

12. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    But without the ABXY layout, how will I constantly hold Y while playing SMB and DKC games?!

13. Muffins

Muffins Banned

Jun 17, 2008
    United States
    Mirrors
    Holy hell, is that a 3DS proto with a GBA slot?

Whoever has their hands on that is one lucky, lucky lucky lucky person.

14. king_leo

king_leo Real Hero

Sep 12, 2009
    De RigueurMortis
    I like it a lot better than the gamecube controller, it makes sense for almost every game to be positioned like that. The only exception would be smash brothers but that's a fighting game so you can't really complain. I think people who love the gamecube controller layout so much have their minds clouded with nostalgia. The Wii U Pro Controller is honestly the best controller I've used console wise I have 0 complaints (well except analog triggers but honestly like only racing games really benefit from them).

15. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    The GameCube controller is by far the most comfortable controller to hold in my hands to this day. The layout of ABXY was actually really intuitive, making the main action button centered and bigger than the rest is still brilliant. With that controller there was never a second of doubt that you might accidentally be hitting the wrong button. I love the Wii U Pro Controller, but it's not quite as comfortable as the GameCube controller, and I don't find the standard diamond layout of ABXY to be close to as intuitive at all.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It was an incredibly early prototype of the 3DS, it's very clear that they just housed the earliest designs in a DS Lite. Just look at the top screen's size.

Last edited by duffmmann, Sep 18, 2015
  16. Muffins

Muffins Banned

Jun 17, 2008
    United States
    Mirrors
    I would have been OK with a smaller top screen if it meant retaining GBA compatibility.

17. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2008
    Portugal
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/17/hori-battle-pad-for-wii-u-review

It's third party, but officially licensed. I bought mine at a Nintendo World store

Last edited by Shady Guy Jose, Sep 18, 2015
  18. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
  19. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2008
    Portugal
  20. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi