Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
http://www.gonintend...story&id=176303
http://www.nintendo..../120427/04.html

Things are shaping up to be very interesting for Nintendo followers. It seems Nintendo is finally waking up to the 21st century. XD
Digital distribution of retail titles. YES PLEASE. I finally have a reason to get me a 32GB SD card. XD

EDIT: And btw before anyone asks, it's confirmed for both for the Wii U and the 3DS. XD

EDIT2: According to Nintendo fiscal year site, it would seem that they will start the digital distribution of retail games with NSMB 2. Interesting...
EDIT 3: Digital distribution will be done through a software tentatively called ''Onitore'' which will be released later this year.

DISCUSS!!!

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THIS IS EXCELLENT NEWS.

Animal Crossing would be great to always have handy on my 3DS, even with another game in the slot, since AC is the kind of game that you jump in every once in a while.

Reactions: 1 person

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
THIS IS EXCELLENT NEWS.

Animal Crossing would be great to always have handy on my 3DS, even with another game in the slot, since AC is the kind of game that you jump in every once in a while.
Lol read the source and you'll be surprised. They said Animal Crossing was perfect for this. XD

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THIS IS EXCELLENT NEWS.

Lol read the source and you'll be surprised. They said Animal Crossing was perfect for this. XD
I saw that, I was just too excited. Haha!

LTK

Trophies
XP
Country
Wonder what the prices will be like though. Good thing about buying hard copy is the ability to find it cheaper than usual in some places.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For a handheld: Amazing news. Perfect because you would not have to carry around multiple cartridges. Only downside is that you cannot trade in the game when you're done, and no actually packaging.

For a console: Still great news to have the option, however it's not like you have to carry your console/games around. I prefer to have the actually DVD and casing, but that's just me.

Reactions: 2 people

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
GREAT NEWS!!! Now I will be able to play more games without importing

The only problem is that I've see no reports about 32GB SD compatibility with 3DS. We should not enter on SDHX / SDHC discussion but we will need to deal with storage limitations.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The only problem is that I've see no reports about 32GB SD compatibility with 3DS. We should not enter on SDHX / SDHC discussion but we will need to deal with storage limitations.
Unless you have like 6 or 7 games coming up you plan to DL, 8-16 GB should be sufficient, also.

YUCK FER! (Trying to cut down on my salior talk :P) This will be great for games like Mario and AC! Plus, this can also mean the Network with get other features we see in other consoles! I better start saving up for a gift card so I'm ready when a game I want comes out on it.(HoR, AC, PM) Plus, it would be awesome if you could get digital copies by using your Club Nintendo codes for it, they extent your warranty, why not grant you digital copies too? It would be no more abusable as it is to use the PS3 download codes to get free steam copies. The 3DS is shaping up to be exactly what Nintendo said they would make it :D

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

I have a 32GB SD card in my 3DS. Works fine. And why shouldn't it?

Haven't got one to try it yet, but it's possible to format a 64Gb SDXC card with Fat32 if you have the right tools. And they have been reported to work in some devices that only conform to SDHC spec.

I'm pretty excited about this news anyway. 3DS games are pretty difficult to come by here, and I was beginning to think about having to import NSMB2. I was probably going to pass on Animal Crossing due to the hassle factor, but Nintendo might just have made themselves an extra sale now...

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo's FINALLY stepping up! Though they're my favourite company, I'm gonna be very open about the little things they need to pay attention to.
I think a list of things they need(ed) to catch up on would be a bit handy:
  • Getting rid of that "Add friendcode for each game" system
  • Digital downloads for retail games
  • Graphics improvement (3DS and WiiU)
  • Okay, this one is a bit personal, but I really think they should cut it out with still continuing to release 2D Mario games. This is what I thought of NSMB2.
  • Make the equivalent of gamertags to refrain from having to share a long, complicated number to get people to add you.
  • Improve the 3DS menu. It's awfully slow, unresponsive and boring. Too many unwanted animations to try and make it seem fancy. I like the DSi menu a lot more.
  • Improve the 3DS game library. I know there are loads of good titles coming up in the near future, but as long as this hasn't happened yet, I'm keeping this on the list.

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I do hope they give you the option to store games you own on cartridges to your sd card, so I won't have to pay for those games again, while still having the advantage of not having to carry the cartridges.

Reactions: 1 person

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
xm if they can be downloaded then a server toolcan snif the packet and find each 3ds private key that makes it accept the game. yes an intermission and one skillfull may find exploits :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released