Gaming Nintendo Plan to Block Flash Carts

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUGiA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo has confirmed that the DSi has a number of enhancements with regards to its security. One of the main ways that Nintendo will try and battle piracy on the system is through firmware updates, in similar fashion to what Sony attempts to do with the PSP. Nintendo also revealed that the system is region locked due to differences in age ratings for certain games.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MadPerson said:
Nintendo has confirmed that the DSi has a number of enhancements with regards to its security. One of the main ways that Nintendo will try and battle piracy on the system is through firmware updates, in similar fashion to what Sony attempts to do with the PSP. Nintendo also revealed that the system is region locked due to differences in age ratings for certain games.
orly.png

Zerrix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
MadPerson said:

lol, as soon as the DSi is available in USA/EUR I really think we will see a Custom Firmware, which lets us play ROM-BackUps on our DSi. And with SD-Slot they just made much easier for hackers.
biggrin.gif

haha I think Nintendo owned his own ^^ xD

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember saying as much when they first revealed the features of the DSi. The entire system seemed like an update for publishers, not for consumers. Of course, all Nintendo has to do is market it to their fans, and their fans will lap it up like cats, as evidenced by the already intense hype for this system.

That said, their firmware updates haven't done much in the way of combating piracy on Wii, so I don't see much promise in it on DSi where it likely will take little effort for flashcard manufacturers to make the transition over to the new system.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Why do u think nobody wants a DSi???

Hell the only good thing about the DSi and flashcarts is that regular DS flashcarts will possibly go down in price once DSi carts come into place.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
BAHIM Z 360 said:
bumjeans said:
Dont they realise the GC failed because you could not play copied games?
tongue.gif

Yeah i agree
nyanya.gif
!!

Me too it sucks because my top screen on my DS lite is starting to be glitchy in reguards to how much or little the top is bent >.< its a common problem aparently but i was going to buy a DSI since mine will prolly die around the time the DSI is released but i dont think i will anymore ill just buy another DS lite

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ferrariman said:
MadPerson said:
orly.png
O_RLY-Quite.jpg

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zerrix said:
MadPerson said:

lol, as soon as the DSi is available in USA/EUR I really think we will see a Custom Firmware, which lets us play ROM-BackUps on our DSi. And with SD-Slot they just made much easier for hackers.
biggrin.gif

haha I think Nintendo owned his own ^^ xD

I wouldn't count on a CFW being made. I'm sure the Big N has learned from its previous mistakes and has made things much more complicated than the original/DS Lite and even the Wii. It may turn out that it is easy to hack the firmware but on the other hand it may turn out to have extra security like the new PSP motherboards or the PS3 (doubt it would be that high security). To add to that, the cost of modding the hardware, buying a kit, or whatnot and/or the installation might be too much for normal users to justify using that instead of going legit.

QUOTE(bumjeans @ Mar 4 2009, 08:42 PM)
Dont they realise the GC failed because you could not play copied games?
tongue.gif

What? Who says?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: