Nintendo patents 'Ornamental Design' for 3DS Circle Pad

D

Deleted_171835

Onx5V.jpg

Nintendo filed a patent on December 6th 2011 for an ornamental design for the 3DS circle pad. The circle-pad shown seems to resemble a Gamecube analog stick.

icon11.gif
Source

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It sort of is - the patent was filed after the release of the console itself. There may be some ambiguity between the patent and the final device, but the fact that it was filed after the device in question was released points at some sort of a special edition or revision of hardware.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I didn't think so...and as foxi would put it, it probably wouldn't lead to anything.

I just think the 3ds forum would have been better.
Hehe, indeed, it's not solid proof of a revision in the works, but it's not like we need any to know that one will be released. It's a very Nintendo thing to revise their hardware every now and then and the slider did recieve some criticism, so it's only natural to assume that they'd want to improve it.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it could be an attachment that latches onto the existing pad judging from Fig.7 and 8 - who knows?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Maybe its a small rubber sticky kinda thing that you stick to the circle pad for extra grip?
I doubt it. Nintendo wouldn't release an accessory like that. It's probably for the revision.
oIYgK.jpg

In other words, it wouldn't be the first time they release a lump of plastic. :P

Reactions: 11 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This patent is only about the circle-pad. The revision will almost certainly have dual-analogs.
As much as I would love this to be true, I'm not entirely convinced. The communication between the CirclepadPro and the 3DS is based on IR I/O afterall, I assume that if they were to use a different, on-board I/O port for it, it would require a firmware exception which in turn could cause issues with compatibility...

Then again, 3DS games ARE patchable now, so it's not a hurdle that can't be jumped over... Hmm... :)

Reactions: 2 people

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
god, would you shut up about the dual sticks already?

theres as much proof that it will have dual sticks as there is proof against it. its 100% 50-50 chance, they can go either way, but there really is not much reason to take one over the other.

also, gamecube analogstick was the best i ever had. my favorite among all the controllers of the last 2 or 3 generations

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No dual analogs for the revision, then? Well duh.
This patent is only about the circle-pad. The revision will almost certainly have dual-analogs.

You say that like there'll be a revision. One, they've said there won't be. Two, adding a second circlepad would divide the community. There'd be NINTENDO 3DS GAMES not playable on a 3DS because they require that second stick. There will not be one. Only ever as an attachment. Get over it.

Reactions: 3 people
D

Deleted_171835

No dual analogs for the revision, then? Well duh.
You say that like there'll be a revision. One, they've said there won't be. Two, adding a second circlepad would divide the community. There'd be NINTENDO 3DS GAMES not playable on a 3DS because they require that second stick. There will not be one. Only ever as an attachment. Get over it.
They haven't said that and it wouldn't divide the community since all 3DS games would be playable without the second circle-pad.

As much as I would love this to be true, I'm not entirely convinced. The communication between the CirclepadPro and the 3DS is based on IR I/O afterall, I assume that if they were to use a different, on-board I/O port for it, it would require a firmware exception which in turn could cause issues with compatibility...

Then again, 3DS games ARE patchable now, so it's not a hurdle that can't be jumped over... Hmm... :)
I'm pretty sure that 3DS games go to the 3DS OS to gain access to the CPP. This could easily be fixed with a firmware update.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like the wii motion + and remote plus? No?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
WiiMotion+
Wii Balance Board
Every Lightgun in existence
Classic Controller/Gamecube Controller Only games, AKA, every single Virtual Console/Gamecube-on-Wii title in existence
Guitar Hero Grip (DS) or Instruments
Rock Band Instruments

Add-ons get exclusive games - deal with it, stop crying, it's gonna happen sooner or later.

Reactions: 4 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: +1