Nintendo Online NES update brings custom Zelda ROM

DpJGGI8VAAAtBwG.jpg

DpJGGIKVAAAi6mU.jpg DpJGGItU4AEWoXd.jpg
You may think that Nintendo has been slacking off when it comes to classic titles, but rest assured, they're on the case. Earlier today, Nintendo updated their classic NES game library, adding three exciting titles. NES Open Tournament Golf, Solomon's Key, and Super Dodge Ball. Before you sit back down, though, Nintendo has also added a bonus NES title — The Legend of Zelda (Special). This is a 'souped up' Zelda ROM hack that gives the player unlimited rupees and item upgrades right from the get-go. It sits on the game selection menu as its own title, and serves as a way for younger or less experienced players to enjoy the classic title.

Update: Nintendo has now confirmed that there will be more titles similar to the newly added Special Edition of Zelda, designed to offer new entry points into classic titles.

10th October, 2018 – Fans all across Europe have signed up for Nintendo Switch Online to enjoy what the paid service has to offer, including online play in popular multiplayer games, Save Data Cloud backup, a smartphone app for voice chat and other features for supported games, exclusive special offers and the ability to experience classic NES games with added online play. As promised when the first set of 20 NES games was announced, more retro games are coming to Nintendo Switch, starting today.
NES™ Open Tournament Golf, Solomon’s Key and Super Dodge Ball are now available to play anytime and anywhere on Nintendo Entertainment System™ – Nintendo Switch Online.

• NES Open Tournament Golf – Challenge another player in Stroke, Match and Tournament modes on three fantasy courses in the USA, the UK and Japan. Make sure you keep an eye on the wind and distance to the hole before selecting your club, or else you’ll be racking up some high scores… which is exactly what you don’t want to do in this game.
  • Solomon’s Key – As Dana, a skilled and talented hero, you must strategically manoeuvre through over 40 stages using mysterious block-creation skills and other magical powers. Free the captive Fairy in each stage by finding the Bell, and escape by grabbing the Magic Key. Use quick thinking and magical firepower to discover hidden items and evade numerous enemies as you race against the clock.
  • Super Dodge Ball – In Super Dodge Ball, you take control of the USA Dodge Ball team and travel the world in an effort to become the best dodge ballers around. Step onto playing fields in countries all over the globe and use a combination of normal and super shots to help take down your opponents. But be careful, as some destinations have surfaces that can affect your footing.
In addition to these NES games, Nintendo Switch Online users will also notice the arrival of special save data for The Legend of Zelda. Now, players can choose to start their adventure with a stack of rupees and items, including the White Sword, Magical Shield, Blue Ring and Power Bracelet. Special save data for other NES titles will become available in the future, offering fun new entry points into fan-favourite games.

Source: Nintendo Switch Online app, GBAtemp press inbox

kingfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least try to look at the good side of it not just dig for negatives.

It's not really digging when the negatives are right there. In Final Fantasy, when Square gave trainers it was so you could experiment with the battle system or play entirely for the story.

The first Zelda has neither of those really and the trainer takes away what made up most of the game.

Oh yeah, shame on them for not developing a basically whole new NES game in 2018!!!!111!!1! /s

I mean romhacks are made everyday by people with far less resources and who have actual day jobs so I'd have to have no faith In Nintendo to not think they could do it in a week.

Reactions: tyrantnyx

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Honestly I was hoping for the BOTW demake that they shutdown :glare:
Considering that the prototype actually seems to be at least in a playable state I honestly don't know why they don't give it a quick spin and release something based on it, maybe even as an add-in bonus to online subscribers or to people who already own BOTW. It doesn't even have to be a full game, even a minigame would be fine in my book - at least this way they'd justify the takedown while also giving us the chance to legally try the real thing...

Reactions: Elrinth

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why couldn’t they added a nes menu to use in games? Filter options, save state exe and for those would use, a cheat menu. Seems like a waste to added a value edited copy of a game.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Nah, I will skip it. Not into online at all. I m fine with home-brew so yeah. :)
Nothing we can't do with some cheat codes and our ROMs, amiright? ;)

Besides, guys, as a romhacker myself, I can tell you that this so called "new custom ROM" is nothing short of a few bytes of changes over the original Zelda.
Enabling certain items right from start takes nothing more but a one byte change in the ROM per item, so this is a really lazy way to try to boost up the rent of the subscription fee by doing some 10-or-so byte changes and calling it an entirely "new ROM".

But sure, keep swallowing whatever shit they throw at you...

Last edited by ShadowOne333,
Reactions: spotanjo3

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
I mean, that eliminates the gameplay of the game a lot.

But, at the same time, it's separate, which means it's optional, so it's not the worst thing.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Considering that the prototype actually seems to be at least in a playable state I honestly don't know why they don't give it a quick spin and release something based on it, maybe even as an add-in bonus to online subscribers or to people who already own BOTW. It doesn't even have to be a full game, even a minigame would be fine in my book - at least this way they'd justify the takedown while also giving us the chance to legally try the real thing...
Probably because it's messy, limited, full of debug stuff, potentially buggy/broken and otherwise completely unfit for public consumption. It's the same reason companies with internal level editors don't often release them to the public: it's a ton of extra work to get it to that polished state where you can actually release it.

Reactions: Pleng and Jonna

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Probably because it's messy, limited, full of debug stuff, potentially buggy/broken and otherwise completely unfit for public consumption. It's the same reason companies with internal level editors don't often release them to the public: it's a ton of extra work to get it to that polished state where you can actually release it.
Yep. See: Duke Nukem Forever 2001 build still unreleased despite being pretty much 80% complete.

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well... you're completely right. In fact after watching the footage of that demo a second time they didn't even try to hide the fact that everything seems to happen in a single level...

I still think it's a shame as it would've made a great minigame but that proto really looked kinda polished, so much that I've forgotten that it's just a prototype afterall ^^"

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
"adding three exciting titles"
I think you missed a fuckton of quotation marks on the word "exciting"

and wow, a romhack for Zelda to make the game easier, how cool, it's so much better than
other garbage romhacks I've seen like being able to play as Samus or what
Go fuck yourself Nintendo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: