Gaming Nintendo officially killed AM2R

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/2016/09/no-future-for-am2r.html

This is just sad. I don't understand why nintendo couldn't just hire this guy and have the game ported over to Wii U or 3DS. I would much rather have this on my 3DS than federation force. Sonic Mania is actually being developed by a bunch of indie developers and fans, headed by a guy who originally was just making a game engine for smartphones before he got hired by Sega (he's behind the stellar Genesis Sonic ports). Also Capcom officially endorsed the Megaman x Street Fighter fan game a few years back. So there's no excuse why nintendo couldn't do something similar.

Also the least that guy could do is release the source code. So someone else could pick it up.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would be the point to releasing the source code if the game is basically complete as is? I 100% the game myself and didnt encounter anything game breaking. As far as fan games go this is as close to being "official" as possible with how well done it was made.

P.S. So what was the latest version before being scrapped? I have 1.1

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So there's no excuse why nintendo couldn't do something similar.

It's up to them. Just because others were fine with people taking their intellectual property to make something out of it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone is obliged to do the same. And now read this about SFxMM:

"The game began as the private development of Seow Zong Hui who presented an early build to Christian Svensson, Capcom's Senior VP of consumer software, at EVO 2015. Svensson showed the build to several staff members in the Capcom office (including senior community manager Brett Elston), and Capcom later decided to assist in the development of the game."

You know the difference here? This guy was showing his work to the company that owned the copyright to the stuff he used from the get go. If one doesn't ask for permission first, it's their problem.

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would be the point to releasing the source code if the game is basically complete as is? I 100% the game myself and didnt encounter anything game breaking. As far as fan games go this is as close to being "official" as possible with how well done it was made.

P.S. So what was the latest version before being scrapped? I have 1.1
I was hoping that someone could port it to other platforms. And I think 1.1 is the latest version.

Reactions: RemixDeluxe

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the main difference between Sega and Nintendo is that Sega no longer has any consoles of it's own. If someone makes a fan game all they need to do is hire the guy, polish it a bit, and they can sell it as their own. The platform doesn't matter. Nintendo, on the other hand, wants all of it's IP (with a couple mobile and historical exceptions) on Nintendo hardware. If someone's making a Metroid gain for PC Nintendo's going to kill it no matter how good. The alternative is to port the game to the Wii U or 3DS, which may not be feasible or it may be outside the ability of the developer. I don't know if anyone has had the balls to try to publish a game to the eShop using Nintendo IP - or even to request permission to use the IP in a Wii U/3DS game. Maybe they use stand-in characters to show that their engine and gameplay is sound and swap in Mario if they get the go-ahead? I think they would have to negotiate with Nintendo Japan directly as Nintendo of America doesn't have the authority.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,
Reactions: NEP and Davidosky99

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm