Nintendo officially announces LEGO NES Building Kit with pricing and release date

lego mario.jpg

After reported leaks, Nintendo made the news official today: a LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) Building Kit will be released. This NES Building Kit comes complete with a controller, cables and even a cartridge slot. There's also buildable CRT TV, featuring a flat, mechanically-controlled 8-bit Mario figure on the scrolling screen. The NES kit will also be compatible with the LEGO Mario from the LEGO Super Mario Starter Course, which reacts to on-screen enemies, obstacles and power-ups similar to the classic Super Mario Bros. game. A brand-new trailer showing the kit in action was also released today:

The LEGO NES will be available exclusively from LEGO Retail Stores and LEGO.com from August 1st 2020 at $230. From 2021 it will be available also at other leading retailers around the world.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox
:arrow: LEGO Super Mario Official Website

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LEGO sets have always been costly - the more detail in a set, the costlier. I remember getting my Bionicle 2nd gen toys back when they were being sold, and the bigger ones came close to $100. I got the larger ones on discount, fortunately.

Rival Canadian company Mega Brands' Mega Bloks are not cheap, either, albeit most of their toys are cheaper than LEGOs. Funny, I always preferred LEGO over Mega Bloks, though growing up, I had more Mega Bloks than I did LEGO bricks!

Reactions: slaphappygamer

graeme122

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So this is what we get when 2 greedy overpricing companies come together.

I also need to buy the "Adventures with Mario Starter Course" at £50 just to get the thing to work. What a load of shite, paying £209 the whole thing should work.

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very, very neat! But with 230 dollars, I could buy an Ibanez 7-string guitar, a pack of fresh strings, and have enough money left over to take my boyfriend to McDonalds.

Or buy a single LEGO set that I'd spend a day assembling, struggle to find a place to display it in my tiny living space, and do nothing but occasionally show it off to people and go "I spent 230 bucks on this thing".

Reactions: 6adget
D

Deleted User

One could probably buy the NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC, GBA and DS for that collective price on Amazon, what the heck is up with Lego sets' prices

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
let me get this right?... so you build the nes and the tv out of lego put your cartridge in the slot but you cannot actually play it, you have to wind the tv and the level plays out! I thought you could build the console and the tv and then play it like you would with the original nes with the cartridges this is stupid and expensive..
and you still have to blow into the cartridge too apparently :rolleyes:

Reactions: Reecey

Estriole

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
this could be epic if it's an actual NES and miniTV made out of LEGO as the CASING... and we can actually play the game... i think the hardware for playing NES is not that expensive anymore...

Last edited by Estriole,

nine0nine

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
It's more than I am every gonna pay but for this many pieces, its a pretty average price. The statue of liberty kit was 200 bucks and its just standard green pieces. Some of the other licenced kits were over $300 for the same 2500 to 3000 pieces. Waiting for you China, do your magic.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Brix will be shat.

Is this standalone, though? Or do you need to happily buy another set?
I wonder about the building possibilities with this thing. How much liberty do you have with this and how well it works with other sets.

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fuck me running backwards with a pair of scissors. That shit is more than I want to pay for a cool looking thing that I would us once and then set it on a shelf. After that the only time I would even think about it would be trying to defend the amount I paid for it when a friend would say "cool! How much did you pay for it?"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    ?tuw
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: ?tuw