Nintendo of America discontinues the NES Classic

nes-classic-edition-box.png

It seems Nintendo is ending production of their highly popular NES Classic. Final shipments are going out to retailers this month, and there are no plans for the company to produce more of the hardware any time soon. Nintendo of Europe hasn't made a comment on the matter, so it is unknown if this pertains to just North America, or Japan and Europe as well. The NES Classic launched last year in November 2016, and was notorious for being near-impossible to get a hold of. Launching with 30 retro Nintendo Entertainment System games on a smaller version of the old-school console, the NES Classic was a holiday hit, selling over 1.5 million consoles as of January 2017.

Throughout April, NOA territories will receive the last shipments of Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition systems for this year. We encourage anyone interested in obtaining this system to check with retail outlets regarding availability. We understand that it has been difficult for many consumers to find a system, and for that we apologize. We have paid close attention to consumer feedback, and we greatly appreciate the incredible level of consumer interest and support for this product

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, discontinued, like anyone can tell a difference :lol: My Wii U has better emulation than the NES Classic, it can't even get the sound right in a lot of the games.

They should make a n64 classic. Like seriously. 15+ years and still no good emulator. Hell, make a n64 classic with online multiplayer capabilities and you immediately have me sold.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They should make a n64 classic. Like seriously. 15+ years and still no good emulator. Hell, make a n64 classic with online multiplayer capabilities and you immediately have me sold.

They'd have to write a competent emulator, which they seemed to screw up badly with the Wii U; debatable, Mupen64 with ParaLLE and LLE emulation it seems to hit all the hard to emulate games fine. Not sure what emulator you've been using *shrug*. CFBD, Indiana Jones, Rogue Squadron, Battle for Naboo and RE2 all run fine on Mupen64.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
i still don't know why people buy it, if someone already have a NES or can emulate it
i can't understand why waste money with that :/

I got an original NES and plenty of systems to emulate NES on.
But I like the design of it and it's a neat thing to have.

Reason enough?

Reactions: tbb043

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're talking official emulation, the NES Classic has the Wii U NES VC titles beat by a landslide.

Indeed, but unofficial emulators like Nestopia are cycle-accurate to the real deal, NERD (the team who developed the NES Classic) is close, but some games sound way off.

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They'd have to write a competent emulator, which they seemed to screw up badly with the Wii U; debatable, Mupen64 with ParaLLE and LLE emulation it seems to hit all the hard to emulate games fine. Not sure what emulator you've been using *shrug*. CFBD, Indiana Jones, Rogue Squadron, Battle for Naboo and RE2 all run fine on Mupen64.
Mupen64 plus, but I didn't think to use other RSP plugins. I need to look at my options more carefully. Going to check it out immediately when I get home.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mupen64 plus, but I didn't think to use other RSP plugins. I need to look at my options more carefully. Going to check it out immediately when I get home.

RetroArch with Mupen uses some new LLE techniques and ParaLLE or something that makes those games emulate just fine. Use GlideN64 plugin as it's the best if you need to. Other plugins like Rice Video are garbage, but wherever you heard that N64 is as bad as you said it is, is dead wrong.

Technically yes, but folks have (easily?) allowed it to provide much more without paying a penny more, something that Nintendo would not do themselves because piracy and whatnot.

Indeed, even PSX emulation, but it is a nightmare to set up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.