Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (Eurogamer)

nintendo-logo-620x349.png

Eurogamer are reporting that Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers:

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.
Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.
A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers-146954365832.png

:arrow:Read the full article with a lot more info here: Source

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Streaming is shit even on the nvidia something. If theres no server like 1 metre from yo house streaming is slow as hell. Also that would need some net, which is pricy on the go(at least in my place) . About the quantum com. 1. I said (twice) "generally" and 2. If you make two (or hundred) such computing chips work in parallel the computing power will increase. And still its not in public use. Also, all the cpus that are made for REAL computing like in science are HUGE, like some km squared... why is that? Dont they see that your tiny little chip is faster then that?(sarcasm)
Always bigger is better when talking about same gen tech of same tier. Just place more cores and your output quadraples!
So as I said streaming is stupid, slow and still not ready, mosta gamers prefer to run games themselves, and bigger is better, so you gonna need to choose decreasing size or performance...
What do you mean streaming is shit? It's gotten to a point where there is zero to no lag. Its your console streaming through the internet dumbass. Adding more cores doesnt change the size. Why are you talking about super computers? theyre multiple cpus not one. You have no understanding of science or technology.

haxan

Trophies
XP
Country
I feel that all of it's games will just be bunch of old nintendo games ported to the NX with the excuse of "classic" and "nostalgia"
If that happens then no one will take NX seriously and it'll die :/

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Its not ergonomic either. Making it impossible to play some twitch reaction games like smash and I don't see any possibility of more controllers. That's why this things fake.
A console should have a controller that can be used with every game as the main controller. Its just stupid to use a concept that doesn't have the comfortability of the user in mind. People today don't want gimmicks. They just want pure games and maybe some gimmicks. Nothing more. Thats why nintendo failed with the wii u. One of the reasons at least

D

Deleted User

Ok Im gonna break it down to parts:

What do you mean streaming is shit? It's gotten to a point where there is zero to no lag.
... only when youre close to the server phisically and have excel net connection, so in my place there are no such gaming servers so nvidias streamimg here is crap... and you say that always on the go I need perfect net signal just to play my zelda game? F*** ya.... Im mosta time on the go amd 3ds is perfect for me, if gaming on it would be streaming-based- I will be fucked up badly... ah and its not only me... and also for fast net you needa cable so not much portability comfort...
Its your console streaming through the internet dumbass.
What???
Adding more cores doesnt change the size. Why are you talking about super computers? theyre multiple cpus not one. You have no understanding of science or technology.
Maybe I dont have as much knowledge as you, mr. Super scientist. The super computer was mentioned as an example. I know theyre multiple cpus. But tell me that- Is the most powerfull popular smartphone as powerfull as ps4/xb1? No! Not under any best circrumstances! Even when playing inside a freezer in -50 degreas, the current gen of mobile gaming is at most as good as 7gen consoles. And throwing something that weak into the gaming scene is a big gamble. I dont think that will be successful, and I dont see lotta ppl I know go and buy weak shit thats meant to b played on tv while cheap gaming pc/xb1/ps4 are still outa here! Really? Mobile proccessor for a huge company's next- gen platform?
Unless theres some catch or somethings wrong(probably) with that info- I dont see it going well

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A console should have a controller that can be used with every game as the main controller. Its just stupid to use a concept that doesn't have the comfortability of the user in mind. People today don't want gimmicks. They just want pure games and maybe some gimmicks. Nothing more. Thats why nintendo failed with the wii u. One of the reasons at least
Im think the same way but look at the original awkward wii controller. Like, its just a gimmic and not good (in my opinion) for mosta games. But still a huge success... ppl are stupid.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still need more info before i buy.
The wii u didnt do so while for multi player games. One person would be force to use the gamepad while the other could sue different controller.
Also i need price point. i wouldnt want to run around with a whole system that cost $400-$500.
But it would be nice to pick up playing where i left off. (***SONY disapointment***)
Also what type of battery system are we talking about? the wii u game pad is pretty big but it does far with battery est 3hrs. But all it does is stream.

but im in for more infor.
Nintendo normally has good ideas but fall short

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
If this is true, I think its going to be the end for Nintendo, especially in the west. This gimmicky crap would only please Jp's customers, since they love all wacky shit anyway.

They need a shit hot console to go on par or surpass M$ and Sony's current hardware with AAA titles at launch and getting in lead again. This idea again, if true, will flop just as bad as WiiU or worse.
Many don't buy Nintendo for its specs, but for its first party titles.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Reactions: FrozenDragon150

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
External GPUs are hideous, expensive and should never even be considered as an option.

Uh I understand that's completely your opinion but I simply can't agree with any of that. Hideous? External GPUs are in a mini tower... Expensive? Yeah, this is nVidia for Christ's sake... Not even an option? If it was in a Nintendo branded case with enough power to compete with the new PS4 or XBOne then why not?

Realistically I'd say NX will flop and good old Ninty will go like the Sega.

Many don't buy Nintendo for its specs, but for its first party titles.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Sorry Nintendo, no Metroid then you get none of my money.

Last edited by Luckkill4u,

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Eurogamer isn't the only outlet reporting on the new design. If this is it, I'm done with nintendo. It been a long time coming since the original wii anyway. One stupid gimmick after the next that makes many games unenjoyable to unplayable. I'm done throwing more money into extra accessories that are required when any big game title is released.

Nintendo stated not long ago, that they aren't concerned with system specs like their competitors (sony, microsoft). That's because they know they can harvest cash on stupid shit with the Nintendo logo on it. You have to buy special controllers or attachments to play different games, or buy dozens of expensive amiibo's for game content, or even re-purchase the same system you already bought a year earlier because they needed to up the ram a little bit. Fuckin over it.

When it comes to pc, ps4 or xbox, you put the game in and then you play it. No bullshit. The only thing nintendo had going for it was their franchised titles like mario, pokemon, zelda, etc. But don't even get me started on how they're ruining those series.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Eurogamer isn't the only outlet reporting on the new design. If this is it, I'm done with nintendo. It been a long time coming since the original wii anyway. One stupid gimmick after the next that makes many games unenjoyable to unplayable. I'm done throwing more money into extra accessories that are required when any big game title is released.

Nintendo stated not long ago, that they aren't concerned with system specs like their competitors (sony, microsoft). That's because they know they can harvest cash on stupid shit with the Nintendo logo on it. You have to buy special controllers or attachments to play different games, or buy dozens of expensive amiibo's for game content, or even re-purchase the same system you already bought a year earlier because they needed to up the ram a little bit. Fuckin over it.

When it comes to pc, ps4 or xbox, you put the game in and then you play it. No bullshit. The only thing nintendo had going for it was their franchised titles like mario, pokemon, zelda, etc. But don't even get me started on how they're ruining those series.
Man... Remember the good old days when you could purchase a SNES with everything you need. Console, controllers, light gun and even R.O.B. Yeah it was the deluxe set but it had everything you needed.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

Reactions: WeedZ

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Man... Remember the good old days when you could purchase a SNES with everything you need. Console, controllers, light gun and even R.O.B. Yeah it was the deluxe set but it had everything you needed.

Yeah, it even included a friend to play with lol.

But that's how it should be. Buy a system, play games.

Reactions: Luckkill4u

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
As long as I don't get my pants pulled down over the price I might just have ago, it sounds interesting if the story is true that is.

zeromission80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far we have seen some ridiculous rumors, some more plausible than others. Most major news outlets destructoid, ign and the original source Eurogamer have reported on it. I really wouldn't count on this being fact, although if it is indeed true, I weep for their continued success as a developer and publisher of some beloved IPS. I do like the hybrid idea a lot, but at this point trying to be different is digging a huge inescapable hole on your reputation and fans...me being one of them good luck Nintendo you'll surely need it...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

On a side note 1 blockbuster game can change the tide in the console wars

Reactions: WeedZ

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
I don't see anything inherently wrong with this design. I'll just wait to see how it performs.
But on a slightly different note, does anyone remember when those design documents surfaced (supposedly from ninty) which depicted a controller with freely replaceable parts? You could apparently switch out d-pads, control sticks, and face buttons freely. This NX reminds me a lot of that, and I wonder just how customize-able the interface is going to be.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Razer's been working on a similar device for years - this isn't groundbreaking, it's stupid.

You seem to remember everything except the fact that R.O.B came with the NES, not the SNES - you're off by one generation.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
wasn't the prototype wiiu gamepad like that
That's normal in prototyping - you cobble existing parts into a hodgepodge that kinda works because making a whole new PCB requires too much effort and time - many components cannot be soldered by hand and when prototyping the hardware can change several times during the dev cycle. It's a real life drawing board - you throw stuff at it and see what sticks. They had existing "controllers with buttons, accelerometers, gyros and BT", so they focused on getting the screen circuit to work.

Darkrai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
People are always complaining, if you don't like it, just don't buy it. Stop saying shit like "Nintendo is doomed", this is fucking annoying, you people say that shit since the Nintendo 64 era. It didn't happen back there, it will not happen now.

But anyway, I'm with mixed feelings about this, I really liked the design and the Idea, but I think that this isn't all. And there's the heating and battery problem with the Tegra X1, how they will work with it ?

For me this is just another of those rumors...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)