Nintendo New 3DS XL comes w/o Adapter? Wtf.

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by MSearles, Mar 7, 2016.

1. MSearles
    OP

MSearles GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    I just sold my O3DSXL modified with AuReiNand + A9HL for $200, and upgraded to a New 3DS XL only to get it home and find out that it doesn't include a charger. Is it safe to purchase a cheap-o adapter on eBay for $3.00? One of those knock-off no-brand ones? Or should I purchase an official adapter for $10.00? maxresdefault.jpg

2. Shuttleu

Shuttleu Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2010
    In the UK the 3ds's haven't come with a charger for ages.

What I do if I don't have a official charger to hand is use a usb-to-3ds lead

3. tatumanu

tatumanu GBAtemp Fan

Nov 1, 2004
    Portugal
    All i know is you made a great deal with that o3ds xl, i got a cheap 3rd party 3ds/nds charger from GAME store, bulky and short cable but it works fine but i would go with an official charger just to be safe.

4. Allahu_Spooky_Cena

Allahu_Spooky_Cena Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2015
    England
    Where Did you sell your O3ds for $200?

mikey420 likes this.
  5. MSearles
    OP

MSearles GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    Also, does transfer speed make a difference when choosing an SD card to use with the 3DS? My last SD card had a 48/MB/S. Would it be better to purchase one with an 85/MB/S?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

O3DSXL. It had AuReiNand installed on it + Arm9loaderhax bundled with the adapter and a Samsung Evo 32GB Class 10 SD card. I thought it was a fair deal considering the shape it was in and everything that was done to it.

Also: Craigslist :)

6. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    I wouldn't use a cheapo charger for very long, but you could get a cheap usb-to-3ds cable and use a decent (branded) phone charger etc.

7. VirusX2

VirusX2 Master Race Beast

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Welcome to the Family. lol

8. koim

koim GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2015
    France
    It's been the case pretty much everywhere since... long enough for you to know since you had an o3ds xl.
    Pretty much every shop that sells 3dses have posters telling you they aren't sold with a charger.
    Even on your side of the atlantic ocean there's a red line on the box telling the AC adapter is NOT included.

Don't blame nintendo for your lack of common sense.

Last edited by koim, Mar 7, 2016
  9. MSearles
    OP

MSearles GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    It's fine and all. I purchased one. I just think it's a dumb decision to not include one. This was my rant.

10. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    N3DS and N3DS XL don't come with a charger in any region from the beginning.

11. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Yeah, I would like to know why they made that decision. It seems wrong that they wouldn't supply something so basic that is necessary to keep the electronic device actually turning on.

12. MSearles
    OP

MSearles GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    They assumed that the average consumer would have already owned a previous console from the DS line. All 2DS, 3DS, 3DS XL, DSi and DSi XL devices use the same adapter.

Jonna likes this.
  13. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    No. A relative did that and the charger literally exploded and burned their house down.

14. MSearles
    OP

MSearles GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    I can't tell if you're being serious or not. That being said, your comment alone just made me spend the extra $7.00 to purchase an official adapter :)

Swiftloke likes this.
  15. Swiftloke

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    Um.

16. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Ouch, that's not a completely safe assumption.

17. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Yes I was being completely serious. I would never joke about something like that. It was actually a phone charger he bought from China for less than £1. It was charging upstairs, overheated and exploded. The house was completely gutted.

18. Swiftloke

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    That's horrible. Is he OK?

19. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Thanks, yes fortunately nobody was physically injured but they were of course traumatised. It has also taken over a year to get the house into a habitable state and the insurance company has caused lots of additional problems. For these reasons I always tell people to buy genuine chargers. It's more expensive, but it's worth it for the peace of mind.

20. MSearles
    OP

MSearles GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    Who cares if he's okay??! That poor 3DS :( :(