Nintendo net profit declines for first time in six years

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by fgghjjkll, May 6, 2010.

1. fgghjjkll
    OP

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    [​IMG]

Nintendo's 2009 financial results have just been released and, shockingly enough, the company hasn't been able to break its profit record yet again. In fact, annual net profit dipped -- for the first time in six tenths of a decade -- to $2.44 billion, a 12 percent drop from the previous fiscal year's $2.79 billion. Sales of the Wii were down 21 percent year-on-year, but Nintendo still managed to shift 20 million units globally, so it's not exactly all doom and gloom at Mario HQ. And while Microsoft and Sony are working on their own motion-sensing offerings, Ninty is reloading the only way it knows how -- bringing the noir Wii to fashion-conscious Americans, and an all-new 3D portable console for the rest of us. Anyone willing to bet against Nintendo's income sheet improving next year?

Source

2. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I'm not surpised. Most articles I have read, point the gamecube saling horribly. Only during it's last 2 years did sales improve. Q: What is the gamecube? A: A Wii Zero.

Personally, I only like a few games on the wii. Mario Party8 and dawn of the new world plus zelda tp, are the games I bought it for. They turned out to be very disappointing games. If it wasn't for hackers getting emulation on it, I would of sold it a long time ago. Witch means I never would of bought SMG1 and NSBM-WII. Both games witch turned out to be ok games. However I rather of had an updated super mario world with NSBM-Wii elements added to it than SMG1.

Hopefully something horrible for them will happen and they have to go 3rd party. I know they said when the gcube sold badly, they would never go 3rd and they would let their series of games die instead. But one can dream and hope something that bad would change their minds.

3. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    profits are down cos every1 owns a damn wii [​IMG]

4. vergilite

Member vergilite GBATemps Regular Clown

United Kingdom
    this

5. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I bet people are holding off till the black wii bundle. Also japs/usa will most likely pave the streets with 3DSes as usual

6. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I doubt this'll make Nintendo cry into their new huge stack of money they get each month. They are still making shitloads of profit, every game they do makes them profit. Every device makes profit even with price cuts. When you sell an enormousness of products each year you are bound to not make so much the next.

I bet Sony wishes they could get half the profit on PS3 as Nintendo makes on the Wii.

7. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    dont they lose money on a PS3 sale?

8. ykhan

Member ykhan GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    yh im pretty sure sony dont make an incredible profit with the ps3

9. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    I doubt it
    I see no use of selling something if there's no profit

Unless of course, the games give enough profit to compensate it [​IMG]

10. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    That was exactly the idea. Lose money on the consoles, recoup + profit with software sales.

11. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Indeed they do. [​IMG]

It might've been something like they lose $23 for every console sold or something like that.

12. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    sony pretty much is only making a profit with games and peeps are getting sick and tired of shooters that's why they stole made move to try and tap into the casual market like big n m$ knows this too and made natal and soon it's gonna be a war over the casual market. peeps might say the wii isn't hardcore, is full of casual games well guess what it's these games that are selling shitloads! [​IMG]

13. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    It's not like 2.5 billion dollars isn't much [​IMG] Ninty won't be crying for it (at least I hope so [​IMG])

14. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Except when you buy a PS3, most of the time you're probably not buying a PS3 alone. Games, accessories, DLC, it all fills that gap.

And this isn't too surprising. Both the Wii and DS are nearing their ends and new consoles are starting to pop up. As new consoles are announced, people don't really want to buy a console that will be succeeded in a year or two. Once the 3DS and new Wii launch, expect the same profits.

Nintendo isn't fretting, that's for sure.

15. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    OSHIT.
    Nintendo will be almost--not--completely destroying the competition in the near future in profit.

16. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    good, maybe shiggy will pull his finger out :/

17. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    The only reason Nintendo's profits are declining is because there are so many rumors about Nintendo releasing new consoles that no one is reallly buying anything and are waiting for the next console to release.
    But after the 3DS and speculated Wii HD get's released their sales are going to rocket.

18. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    3ds was announced this year, article is talking about 2009...