Nintendo might already have new pre-installed 3DS apps but

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Megaponder, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Megaponder
    OP

Newcomer Megaponder Ponderin' about theories.

Malaysia
    Maybe they want to make us wait until they blocked most of the flashcarts

2. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Cool conspiracy theory bro.

3. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    I honestly don't think ds homebrew keeps Nintendo up at nights. They probably look at the situation and say, "eh, why not put a few security codemonkeys on the job to keep them busy and sharp". Nintendo can probably spare (and afford) a few interns for this.

4. Megaponder
    OP

Newcomer Megaponder Ponderin' about theories.

Malaysia
    Maybe but I mostly think Nintendo's top priority is to stop piracy because of the region lockout

5. beta4attack

Member beta4attack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I think that you're maybe thinking way too much into this >.< No offense intended, though.

6. Technicmaster0

Member Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I think that they block the flashcards at each update because they want to keep the flashcard companies and some persons that search the new headers busy.

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    ... what does the region lockout have to do with piracy? It's for content and price control.

porkiewpyne and 3DSGuy like this.
  8. shoyrumaster11

Member shoyrumaster11 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Well, sometimes I thank Anti Piracy updates because of the fact that it leaves a challenge for the flashcard developers. I just hate how noobish people are about updating and R4's!

9. back25

Newcomer back25 Advanced Member

Antarctica
    Or maybe they want to rip money off the supercard team

10. yifan_lu

Member yifan_lu @yifanlu

United States
    It's impossible for Nintendo to completely block updatable flashcarts, because the DS authentication is completely broken and there's no way nintendo can differentiate a cart pretending to be a game vs the actual game unless they manually blacklist each game, and as we've seen from previous updates, every time they "block" a game, they just use a new one. They only do the blocks at all, most likely, to assuage developers who may complain that nintendo isn't taking care of piracy.

11. ground

Member ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    i am not sure about it. The 4.4.0-10 updated blocked most cards permanently based on the hardware it contains. This could be bypassed for some flashcards, but they still have different hardware than the orginial ds cardridges...

12. Rydian

United States
    The block being hardware-based is up in the air. It's originally claimed it's done by a save chip, but multiple carts were able to update regardless, without save chips.

I believe it's the same sort of song and dance. Nintendo requires more info, carts that have free space to store the info that needs to be played back (DSTwo, recent R4i Gold) can update.
    Carts that don't have enough space to store the required info (first HW44 Ak2i, then 81 AK2i, all the old R4i Gold models, etc.) can't fit the data, so they can't update.
    It's been the death of a lot of R4-named carts as well. How many do you see need new hardware revisions after a few updates? It's 'cause they cheap out and only put as much space as they can get away with.

13. porkiewpyne

Member porkiewpyne Report-er

Australia
    Wai-- how?

14. Technicmaster0

Germany
    I think that the block is still hardware based on the save chip. But there are some demo cards (like Metroid Prime Hunters DEMO) without save chip. Nintendo can't block the demo cards. That's the reason why almost every flashcard can still update to 4.4.0-10.

15. Rydian

United States
    And what about the carts updated for 4.4 and 4.5 that use other games, such as Deep Labyrinth?

I'm not convinced it's a save chip issue at all.

16. Technicmaster0

Germany
    How many cards use Deep Labyrinth except of the r4ids.cn and the r4idsn.com?
    Team Supercard says that every official Wood R4i 3DS is Class2, which can pass the update.

17. Rydian

United States
    What does it matter? There only needs to be one to prove the save chip idea incorrect.:P

The class issue is info I got a while back from a different team (not the SC team) and then posted in relation to the 4.4 update... so I'm well aware of the theories (as I'm the one that helped form them).

And I'm also well-aware of how many people took what I said and ran with it, even though I posted multiple times that it was a guess whether they were linked at all...

exangel likes this.
  18. ground

Member ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    i Thought the r4iDS card worked with the Deep Labyrinth game because the cards have the save IC, which the 4.4.0-10 firmware checks for

19. Technicmaster0

Germany
    Sorry for saying the wrong soure. I think that it supports your theory. And I think that team Supercard knows the truth about the firmwareupgrade because they released the first fix.

20. Rydian

United States
    Team supercard often releases the fix within 24 hours though. Like the 4.5 fix, they were the first to have an update file out again.