Hacking Nintendo made acekard2i illegal?

pmk010

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I heard tht Nintendo won a case to make the acekard2i illegal. Is that why r4i.co.uk had to close down?
nds.gif

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait, no offense, but even without a court thing, flashcarts are used for piracy is not legal. IMO, anyone who buy one to use only homebrew is a very big liar.

It's like when people create a thing clearly used for piracy, but say it isn't made for piracy, but for homebrews and says they don't support piracy in any way. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Giga_Gaia said:
Wait, no offense, but even without a court thing, flashcarts are used for piracy is not legal. IMO, anyone who buy one to use only homebrew is a very big liar.

It's like when people create a thing clearly used for piracy, but say it isn't made for piracy, but for homebrews and says they don't support piracy in any way. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Yep ranks right up there with disclaimers you see on sites that sell services like newshosting. 'Use of this service for illegal purposes is strictly forbidden'.
Riiiiiight, and then you realize there's nothing legal to download as well. Using it to get Linux isos riiiight, don't insult my damned intelligence is my usual response.

Sure, I'd love to use my AK2i for a lot of potential neat home brew uses, but the reason I bought it, sure the fuck wasn't for homebrew.
Any given day I have my DS with me though, I usually have a legal bought cart in it, and a few other legal bought carts in a cart holder.

D

Deleted User

Panzer Tacticer said:
Giga_Gaia said:

Yep ranks right up there with disclaimers you see on sites that sell services like newshosting. 'Use of this service for illegal purposes is strictly forbidden'.
Riiiiiight, and then you realize there's nothing legal to download as well. Using it to get Linux isos riiiight, don't insult my damned intelligence is my usual response.

Sure, I'd love to use my AK2i for a lot of potential neat home brew uses, but the reason I bought it, sure the fuck wasn't for homebrew.
Any given day I have my DS with me though, I usually have a legal bought cart in it, and a few other legal bought carts in a cart holder.
Riiiiiiiiight. I use my R4 for siiiiiimply homebrew purposes, guiiiiiise.
That is a lie, obviously.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo doesn't make laws, so they can't make anything illegal.
They CAN petition for laws to change or things to be made illegal, but (in a perfect world) so can the citizenry (of course, this isn't a perfect world, and laws aren't made so much as bought and sold).

However, this is nothing new.
Any country that has a bill or law similar to the US' Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), like the UK's Digital Economy Bill/Act, typically make it illegal to circumvent a devices copy protection schemes, i.e. Flashcarts and Modchips, but can be extended to software like DeCSS.

samjef11

Trophies
XP
Country
chrissmith9c said:
Well if it was only acekard 2i then I guess I am safe with my acekard 2.1
NO the acekard team made acekard 2.1 and 2i they have not been to court or been close down. so you can buy a acekard 2i if you want to it's just the r4 that got shut down.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Giga_Gaia said:

I have a flashcard and I use it PURELY for homebrew. I once tried to load a ROM or two (that I dumped myself from legally owned games I may add), but my card doesn't support ROMs officially, and its a pain to try and get them working, so I couldn't be bothered. I still use the card reasonably regularly to play homebrew. The fact that cards like iPlayer and Games 'n' Music, where it is impossible to load ROMs show not everyone gets flashcards for piracy.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Panzer Tacticer said:
Giga_Gaia said:

That's why you would buy an iPlayer, no Commercial Rom Support, and the joys of using homebrew.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Todderbert said:
That's why you would buy an iPlayer, no Commercial Rom Support, and the joys of using homebrew.
Except that to get the iPlayer working on a DSi, it uses the same bypass method as every other DSi cart, which contains ROM info from a commercial Nintendo DS game... so not only is it STILL considered a bypass device (it has GBA and SNES emulators), but it contains copyrighted code.

D

Deleted-236924

twiztidsinz said:
Todderbert said:
Except that to get the iPlayer working on a DSi, it uses the same bypass method as every other DSi cart, which contains ROM info from a commercial Nintendo DS game... so not only is it STILL considered a bypass device (it has GBA and SNES emulators), but it contains copyrighted code.
There's no SNES emulator for iPlayer.
There's SNEmulDS, but it's not an iPlayer exclusive.
And if you use it on a DS/Lite, it won't need to bypass anything.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pingouin7 said:
And if you use it on a DS/Lite, it won't need to bypass anything.
You don't have to bypass anything... except for the DS' copy protection, which prevents the launching of unsigned code, by using info from a commercial ROM.

So except for the fact that you're wrong, you're totally right.

shineaway

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I ordered an Acekard 2i from NDS-Gear.com last Wednesday, and received Thursday (using Royal Mail special delivery). Now the site are moving from the UK to the US due to this new UK law.

Their blog states this:
QUOTE said:
As most of you know, on the 28th of July a High Court ruling in London stated that the import of R4 cards into the U.K. was now deemed illegal because they circumvent Nintendo’s copyright protection measure.

In our view, this was uncalled for and unfair as it was targetting a small proportion of people that use the Nintendo DS to pirate games, and completely shunning the homebrew community and developers. As a direct result of this ruling (and the newest 1.4.1/1.4.2 firmware update) many homebrew developers have become fed-up with Nintendo and may well choose to create new applications on other platforms instead – which will harm Nintendo in the long run.

Unfortunately, despite the ridiculousness of the ruling, NDS-Gear have been watching carefully for an appeal and also the legal documentation regarding DS cards as no longer kosher – and for this reason, even though we highly disagree, and even though we have received no request to close, we will be moving the site to become compliant with the U.K. ruling as of the 16th of September (tomorrow / Thursday).

The reason for this timing is because we intend on re-opening in less than a day from the U.S. – on Friday – so the site will not be permanently shut. However, any U.K. customers wishing to get a card before the site relocates should do so today or tomorrow to avoid having to purchase from abroad and pay larger shipping fees.

So you either have to purchase one from the US, or risk using a UK Seller, that has not shut down/moved yet!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: