Nintendo Life's first impressions on Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Overlord Nadrian, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Overlord Nadrian
    OP

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Nintendo Life got their hands on the demo of Golden Sun and seem to be very pleased with it. Read on.

Glory be to Camelot!

This truly is a rich time for DS RPGs: Dragon Quest IX, Final Fantasy the 4 Heroes of Light and of course Golden Sun: Dark Dawn should ensure we remember 2010 as the Year of the RPG, and Golden Sun could emerge as the best of the bunch.

The demo offered two available modes: adventure and battle, and we had time to try both. The former mode puts you in a puzzle-filled obstacle course where you must make use of your Psynergies to overcome the challenges along the way. Move was mapped to L and could be used to push blocks in one of four directions, and was as simple as tapping the object to be moved and sliding it in the desired direction.

Fireball was activated with a tap of R and brought up a circle and aiming line, the idea being to rotate the line until facing the target and then smoothly slide the stylus to let loose a fireball. We found this a little fiddly and unresponsive however: sliding the stylus often did nothing, and it seemed trial and error as to whether this would work. Perhaps we were doing it wrong, but it was frustrating nonetheless.

The battle mode, you’ll be pleased to hear, suffered no such problems. Sticking to a simple menu system, your trio of heroes took on three battles that gradually increased in difficulty. The controls here are completely intuitive, tapping menu icons and targets to activate straightforward attacks, Psynergies and Djinn attacks. Those familiar with the battle system from the previous two outings will be right at home here, but newcomers should also find it easy to jump straight into.

Graphically the battle sequences are extremely impressive, even after we’d just seen the 3DS in action. The character models are solid, detailed and animate well, and the special effects for Psynergies are a pleasure to watch. The real stars however, as with the GameBoy Advance originals, are the Summons: from robotic pyramids to arrow-shooting goddesses, they’re some of the finest visuals seen on the system in its near six-year history.

Completing the battle gave us chance to explore one of the demo’s towns, and here we saw more classic Golden Sun elements: houses with golden straw roofs, strange delicacies being cooked and plenty of hidden items to be found. It may not be groundbreaking, but for fans of the series it’s like coming home.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was already high on our most-wanted list for the rest of 2010, and going hands-on with the title has only pushed our expectations for Camelot’s latest RPG ever higher. The developer’s calibre – they created Shining Force, you know – and the long wait between instalments could result in the DS receiving one of its finest RPG adventures yet.[/p]
    Seems like this game's going to be awesome, they were able to make the game almost exactly like it was back in the day. [​IMG]

Also, images of the game for anyone interested:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    [​IMG] Source

2. Kkolko

Member Kkolko GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    Drool... Drool... Drool...

When was this being released again? [​IMG]

3. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    Fuck yeah! Gotta read this!

4. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    don't forget the upcoming lufia and of course rune factory 3 [​IMG]

5. Berthenk

Netherlands
    I think those are nothing compared to Golden Sun, however, as I haven't played either yet, I'll come back later. [​IMG]
    Anyway, Dark Dawn's gonna be fawesome!

6. Lubbo

Member Lubbo GBAtemp Traceur

Australia
    still waiting for a fucking release date!!!

7. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    Cant wait!
    Been playing GS1 the last few days once again.

Anyway, only 3 heroes? :/

8. Lubbo

Member Lubbo GBAtemp Traceur

Australia
    i doubt it, its only a demo so you will probably get the other characters later, like with piers, mia and ivan in GS 1 + 2

9. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    Hmm, yea, but that 4th, the water adept, isn't shown anywhere on the internet yet..
    So I got a bit scared.

EDIT:
    Nvm, did some research, look at the chars:
    [​IMG]
    The water adept is gonna be called Crown.

10. Berthenk

Netherlands
    Notice one of the screenshots, the battle one: there's room for one more person, to the left.
    I hope they add moar summons. The old one's were good already, but I'd like to see more.
    Edit: meh, too late.

11. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Should I pre-order this game even though I hadn't beaten G1 nor G2. I know most of you are going to 'buy' this game when it gets release right?

12. Berthenk

Netherlands
    Why are you even asking this question? If you have the money and have nothing of more importance to buy, go for it!

13. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    This will be the first DS game I have bought in 4 years when this comes out. I have logged over 1000 hours into both the Golden Sun games and can safety say that this one is going to get the same treatment.

14. Overlord Nadrian
    OP

Belgium
    Lufia is the best DS game ever IMO. Rune Factory 3 is just more of the same, some new gameplay elements but it still is nearly the same as the first one.

15. Maverick_z

Member Maverick_z When did i join again??

Canada
    those screens are just looking awesome. waiting for release

16. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    OMG Hurry and release it already!!! I am now even more hyped for this game!!

17. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

[​IMG]
    is that guy second on the left Isaac as an adult

18. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    I doubt it, he's too short.

19. Overlord Nadrian
    OP

Belgium
    Yeah, I don't think he's an adult either, after all, this game's protagonists were all supposed to be the descendants of the former heroes; also, it may have to do a little with the way the characters are positioned in that screenshot. If, however, he is really an adult, I wouldn't mind, as that would bring a bit of difference in the game (like in the second game, where Jenna's brother (forgot what he's called again) is quite a bit older than the other characters.

20. geminisama

Member geminisama Metsu

United States
    Game better not be controlled by Stylus. I fucking hate using the stylus for rpgs, hate it. Include both options, for the stylus enthusiasts, and normal button controls for us who hate gimmicks.