Nintendo issues takedown to Etikons custom JoyCon shells, which raised $10K for suicide prevention

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
image (1).png

Following their controversial takedown of The Big House's tournament due to use of Slippi (a mod that allows Super Smash Bros. Melee to be played online) and their cancellation of the Splatoon 2 NA Open's livestream due to teams showing support to the Super Smash Bros. Melee community, Nintendo has demanded that the Etikons be taken down due to copyright infringement. The Etikons were custom JoyCon shells designed to honor the late YouTube creator Desmond Daniel Amofah, commonly known as Etika. The campaign manager, CptnAlex, had initially been selling the Etikons through an Indiegogo fundraising campaign, and after the campaign had ended, he was selling remaining stock through Etsy until Nintendo's lawyers sent the C&D. This takedown is considered to be controversial because these JoyCon shells were designed to honor the deceased and because all proceeds were going to suicide prevention, and the reason for the takedown is believed to be due to the term "JoyCon" being printed on the shells. The Etikons raised over $10K for the JED Foundation.

Following my request for comment, CptnAlex had this to say:
CptnAlex said:
I just wanted to say that there’s a lot of misinformation and assumptions floating around. I received a C&D for multiple items on my Etsy shop, this was one of them. A lot of people are saying this was a “blanket” C&D and wasnt specifically about these joy-cons, and that’s simply not true. The C&D I received was NOT simply “remove every single item from your shop” - it very specifically listed exactly which items in my shop Nintendo wanted removed. The Etika Joycons, or Etikons, were one of those links they attached. Along with the listing of their trademark for the word Joycon and the trademark for the switch logo. The Etikons are the only item I’ve ever sold with the word Joycon printed on them, so it’s abundantly clear to me that they were specifically referencing and targeting the Etika Joycons in this case, even though they did target other listings at the same time.

Lastly I did want to say that while everyone wants to hate on Nintendo, the lawyer was actually incredibly nice and accommodating. I had numerous back and forth with her in order to get my shop in compliance. Our email chain ended with me asking for licensing, and her passing on my request to Nintendo. While I don’t expect anything to ever come of that request, it was nice that it was passed on instead of a flat denial.

:arrow: Source: Twitter

Last edited by PrincessLillie,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
So what's the solution here? Remove the words "JoyCon" from the casing? Avoid saying the word "JoyCon" in correspondence, product description and advertizing? Never mentioning anything related to Nintendo ever again? Listing these as "random plastic shells for no specific purpose"?
I get protecting one's trademarks and all that, but Nintendo has been incredibly tone deaf in some of these cases.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
So what's the solution here? Remove the words "JoyCon" from the casing? Avoid saying the word "JoyCon" in correspondence, product description and advertizing? Never mentioning anything related to Nintendo ever again? Listing these as "random plastic shells for no specific purpose"?
I get protecting one's trademarks and all that, but Nintendo has been incredibly tone deaf in some of these cases.
Removing the term "JoyCon" is a solution, yes, but it's not a very good one. "JoyConBoyz" was like Desmond's motto, so removing it from the shells is a very bad idea.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I understand copyright and all but Nintendo really just acts like they straight up hate their community and don’t want any means of creative expression if it involves anything remotely using or resembling their copyrighted material.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
nintapple they truly deserve that name now. their ways, views, beliefs and business practices are so far behind they are still in the dark ages it's just pathetic!

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
nintapple they truly deserve that name now. their ways, views, beliefs and business practices are so far behind they are still in the dark ages it's just pathetic!
No, Nintendo is so much worse than Apple.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
If you go on eBay or Amazon you can find countless items advertised as "custom Joycon shells" but of course big N goes after the ones raising money for charity. I love Nintendo products but fuck them for doing shit likes this. I get there is a legal requirement to defend their trademark but they're doing it inconsistently and seem to be going after the ones with the best intentions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.