• Replies 193
  • Likes 5

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But third party titles generally don't sell on Nintendo consoles. Look at the Wii, the biggest third party gaem was fucking Just Dance.

It will be hard to surpass the third party support they had on the Snes, that's for sure ;) The Wii's and N64's third party support was paltry at best, there's no refuting that.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. There needs to be first party support for their to be third party support. If the system isn't doing well than 3rd parties have no reason to latch on.

2. Uh, that's not true?

3. I could easily say that Smash Bros is on the Wii U, don't need a 3DS for that, what's your point? And your just putting your own tastes in good light and speaking for everyone.

The point is that if there's a game on 2 different platforms from the same company, people would be more likely to buy it on the console they already own and not buy the other system, this was meant for those who have one but not both consoles.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The problem with the Wii U is that its pretty much garbage. The situtation wont have been helped either by recent announcements of upcoming consoles due for release in the next 6 months or so. The Wii U never really had any identity or knew what its audience was. It was a console that apart from a gimmicky touchscreen, offers nothing really that the Xbox or PS3 didnt offer, and at a much cheaper price point.

I've owned every Nintendo product from the NES days (but not the WII U), but I see them at some point, going down the road of Sega. Take your games mulitplatform and make your millions that way. Let the other companies battle it out for hardware as Nintendo seem reluctant (financially I expect) to keep up on specs.

Because let's be honest here, if Nintendo out of the box gave it more power under the hood, and we saw games from day 1 that you just couldn't get near to on xbox and PS3, they would of had a much better start, even if it meant say 20% on top of the first RRP and devs wouldn't have been dropping titles left right and centre.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with the Wii U is that its pretty much garbage. The situtation wont have been helped either by recent announcements of upcoming consoles due for release in the next 6 months or so. The Wii U never really had any identity or knew what its audience was. It was a console that apart from a gimmicky touchscreen, offers nothing really that the Xbox or PS3 didnt offer, and at a much cheaper price point.

I've owned every Nintendo product from the NES days (but not the WII U), but I see them at some point, going down the road of Sega. Take your games mulitplatform and make your millions that way. Let the other companies battle it out for hardware as Nintendo seem reluctant (financially I expect) to keep up on specs.

Because let's be honest here, if Nintendo out of the box gave it more power under the hood, and we saw games from day 1 that you just couldn't get near to on xbox and PS3, they would of had a much better start, even if it meant say 20% on top of the first RRP and devs wouldn't have been dropping titles left right and centre.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "garbage"? Your statement is not clear. Sheer horsepower alone doesn't guarantee good games you know, and going third party would be a bad move due to competition, etc. If people are going to call it garbage, I would love for them to back up said accusations. I'd love to be enlightened by your explanation. Calling a console garbage purely based on its hardware alone is a pretty sophomoric statement and holds no relevancy to game quality.

Backing up to the older generations, I don't seem to recall anyone bashing the PS2 for being the weakest, or the Playstation, do you? What of the 3DS vs the Vita, the DS vs. the PSP? Why hasn't a the most powerful console of any given generation end up being victorious in any of the aforementioned generations?

Reactions: kehkou

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Sounds a lot better than "Sony and Microsoft are to blame"

Edit: Lol at kristianity77, you sound like another hater who doesn't know what he's talking about.

"OH NOEZ!!! Wii U launch titles only look tons better than PS360 launch titles, but that's not enough!"

Reactions: kehkou

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "garbage"? Your statement is not clear. Sheer horsepower alone doesn't guarantee good games you know, and going third party would be a bad move due to competition, etc. If people are going to call it garbage, I would love for them to back up said accusations.

Sheer horsepower agreed might not mean better games, but it gets peoples attention when it comes to buying new technology. If at E3, the Xboxone and PS4 were showing off games that looked exactly the same as this generation, would people be interested? Of course not. The excitement (to a degree) comes from being shown something thats not been seen before on current generation. Gamers are a fickle bunch, and the first Wii aside, if people are going to be putting down £250-£300 on something new, they want it to do something that there old technology can't. And a touchscreen controller just isn't enough. In my opinion, of course

SirAileron

Seeker of Truths
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's certainly the problem when you try to do something different. Sony and Microsoft have this incredible advantage where they aren't doing anything radically different game-wise for their hardware, unless you want to insist that smartglass is that radically different thing (though they don't pack a tablet in with the system for those that don't have tablets).

Because it's simpler to use the tools that already exist than to come up with interesting new ideas, you're not going to have much of anything that identifies the Wii U as something special coming from third-parties until Nintendo makes something. And then you run into the classic problem that the third parties can't compete with Nintendo on their own console, so they'll complain about it, and instead they'll push their games on better-supported systems (that don't have any new concept on them, and have more powerful hardware).

And on another note, it's a failing of Nintendo to have the Wii remotes be still-integral to the Wii U console by some capacity, if for nothing else because they failed to package a remote and nunchuck in with the system. The people who never had Wiis that got the elite Wii U basically missed out on at least 50% of Nintendo Land's content, which is simply idiotic.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sheer horsepower agreed might not mean better games, but it gets peoples attention when it comes to buying new technology. If at E3, the Xboxone and PS4 were showing off games that looked exactly the same as this generation, would people be interested? Of course not. The excitement (to a degree) comes from being shown something thats not been seen before on current generation. Gamers are a fickle bunch, and the first Wii aside, if people are going to be putting down £250-£300 on something new, they want it to do something that there old technology can't. And a touchscreen controller just isn't enough. In my opinion, of course

And you're entitled to your opinion, but no one knows what the console is going to be capable of, and I sure as hell hope you don't have the mindset that the graphical gap between the consoles is going to be like it was when it was the Wii vs Xbox 360. Also keep in mind cots; it's not practical to have overpowered hardware for less than $400 as the PS4 has proved. I myself will likely get a PS4 because of my abhorrence towards Microsoft and how they treat customers. Have you seen Project X, it sure as hell looks comparable to later-gen PS3 games at least, and it's still in development. I don't plan on trying to convince people with my arguments or my stance, but I do want to make it known that Nintendo is not doomed and they're not stupid enough to go third party. It will be a very cold day in hell before that happens. The day they go third party is the day Apple starts selling Macbook Pros at half price.

I just wish people would give the Wii U a little more time before swarming over it like bunch of flesh-eating insects and see the console for its potential and not for what it can't do at the present. Hardware is vital, yes, but not everyone buys the console for the hardware. Why didn't more people buy an Xbox as opposed to a PS2 or Gamecube? It's the exact same situation as it was 13 years ago.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And you're entitled to your opinion, but no one knows what the console is going to be capable of, and I sure as hell hope you don't have the mindset that the graphical gap between the consoles is going to be like it was when it was the Wii vs Xbox 360. Also keep in mind cots; it's not practical to have overpowered hardware for less than $400 as the PS4 has proved. I myself will likely get a PS4 because of my abhorrence towards Microsoft and how they treat customers. Have you seen Project X, it sure as hell looks comparable to later-gen PS3 games at least, and it's still in development. I don't plan on trying to convince people with my arguments or my stance, but I do want to make it known that Nintendo is not doomed and they're not stupid enough to go third party. It will be a very cold day in hell before that happens. The day they go third party is the day Apple starts selling Macbook Pros at half price.

I just wish people would give the Wii U a little more time before swarming over it like bunch of flesh-eating insects and see the console for its potential and not for what it can't do.

I totally agree. My point is that currently, nothing looks like a leap forward. I know that's because its still in its infancy but I think thats the reason people are put off. It currently, doesn't offer anything more that current gen does. And that's putting people off. Why are people going to buy it until it has something on it that makes people want it?

Again, your right, the gap between the next xboxes and playstations V Wii U wont be as big this time around. But if for say the next few years developers make two versions of one game (let's say a version for cross platform for xbox one and PS4, and another scaled down port for perhaps PS3 and Xbox360, which version do you think the Wii U is likely to get if any?)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I totally agree. My point is that currently, nothing looks like a leap forward. I know that's because its still in its infancy but I think thats the reason people are put off. It currently, doesn't offer anything more that current gen does. And that's putting people off. Why are people going to buy it until it has something on it that makes people want it?

Again, your right, the gap between the next xboxes and playstations V Wii U wont be as big this time around. But if for say the next few years developers make two versions of one game (let's say a version for cross platform for xbox one and PS4, and another scaled down port for perhaps PS3 and Xbox360, which version do you think the Wii U is likely to get if any?)

All I can say is I'm personally gonna wait it out, sit back and enjoy the ride :P My only hope is that Nintendo comes up with new marketing strategies, even I can admit that they're pretty inefficacious.

crystal107

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
Wait, it's NINTENDO'S fault that their OWN console is failing? Gee, and all this time, I was blaming potatoes.

It's always the carbs! they are at fault for everything wrong in this world! ... :D

but really, admitting you are having a problem is a good first step, always, taking responsibility for it, is a better step.

Reactions: JoostinOnline

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
...and here I was, blaming the financial crisis. Well...I've learned something today. From now on, I'll just rib it in that nintendo had it coming with their retarded name with their lack of third party support with their abysmal game follow-up after launch with their lack of support for hardcore games.

Ey...come to think of it...what is it exactly they're blaming/are going to fix, exactly? :unsure:

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...and here I was, blaming the financial crisis. Well...I've learned something today. From now on, I'll just rib it in that nintendo had it coming with their retarded name with their lack of third party support with their abysmal game follow-up after launch with their lack of support for hardcore games.

Ey...come to think of it...what is it exactly they're blaming/are going to fix, exactly? :unsure:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh......not sure actually.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one problem is calling it Wii-U, most people think its the same thing as Wii and just a little addon.

It's all about marketing. I hardly see it being any worse of a name than the Xbox One, but that's just me.

Wii U - us, you, everyone
One - All in one

Both are confusing.

If this trend continues, we might see "Ambassador" Wii Us.

I wouldn't mind that actually.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
one problem is calling it Wii-U, most people think its the same thing as Wii and just a little addon.
Time to call the Wiimbulance.
WiiAmbulance.png

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The mistake is not having a game like Wii Sports that is universally attractive and takes advantage of the console's uniqueness. Nintendoland, while it did clearly demonstrate to me the unique possibilities unlocked with a second screen, it did not have the universal appeal. Players didn't go out of their way to try Nintendoland.

Chaossaturn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All they need is 5 new Nintendo IPs and it is problem solved, if I were Nintendo I would put my money in making new IPs and new games to milk.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.